Sponsor Directory

Motor options after the sportjet

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

Motor options after the sportjet

Postby macncoke » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:08 pm

I have a jetcraft Xtreme 2175. It's a great boat and will run very shallow. The sj200 can pick up a huge load and is pretty economical. Merc has killed the sj and there doesn't appear to be a replacement. I'm not sold on the rotax yet and a Chevy seems too heavy. For those of us who need light weight and shallow... And have had a taste of 'better than an outboard'... What are our options? And I'm not talking about the mini boat movement.
Working too much for too little.
macncoke
Beer Boy

Re: Motor options after the sportjet

Postby Akclassic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:16 pm

An all aluminum small block setup would easily double your horsepower. You would gain some weight though. I think a sbc all aluminum is under 500lbs, with pump prob no more than 650 for the whole package (3 stage). But if your boats total weight with sj is 2200lb divided by 200hp that's 11lbs/hp. Add another 250-350lbs and 400hp, your under 8hp/lb...
Akclassic
Buoy Boy

Postby steelheadfreak » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:35 am

I'm pretty convinced the Rotax will be the replacement, if any for a light weight SJ alternative. If there was something else in development, I'm sure we would have heard about it by now. I like the Rotax platform and the power to weight it produces. I don't like the pump however. Not sure if it has the robustness of the SJ unit. I guess its a wait and see sort of thing.
steelheadfreak
Boat Enthusiast

Postby broncobran68 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Sport jets have been installed in everything from 10’ minis up to 24’ twins. For the smaller boats I would think the Rotax would be best, but for the medium sized stuff I’d think the Indmar 2.3 with whatever pump would do better, even if that package is a couple hundred pounds heavier.
broncobran68
First Mate

Postby Nater11 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Anyone have a weight on the indmar 2.3?
Nater11
Beer Boy

Postby Ahusk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 pm

507 lbs according to the Indmar thread.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby Nater11 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:34 am

Gonna be tough for those looking at light weight smaller boats. The SJ200 ends up being about 400lbs installed with mufflers and the box welded underneath. The 6.2l DI is listed at 630lbs but after the pump, cooler and coolant is added it’s more like 750-800 installed. I been trying to add up weight of that indmar with a Scott pump that would match and it seems like it would be significantly heavier than the SJ. Anyone have experience with that Rotax? I know the 250 takes some sort of cooler and accessories but I’ve still never seen one in person.
Nater11
Beer Boy

Postby broncobran68 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:16 pm

KEM lists the 6.2 DI at 717lbs.

I’m surprised the 2.3 is that heavy. I was expecting 350-400. I guess it may not be that great of an option. I really doubt it’s gonna save any fuel, unless you idle a bunch.
broncobran68
First Mate

Postby Goingbroke » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:44 am

I built a mini boat and put in a Kawasaki ultra 310 used the pump and pretty much everything out of the ski to build it, it is light and it will blow your mind on how well that little pump hooks up with a new impeller in it and 300 hp will do 69 mph with 2 people in a 13 foot boat with 21 gallons of fuel in it and run on 3 to 4 inches of water all day and no water when the time comes and that little pump doesn't seem to care about rocks in the grate had 11 rocks in it first trip out and couldn't even tell they were in there burns about 4 gallons an hr just cruising around.
2010 20' HCM
Goingbroke
Captain

Postby Nater11 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Goingbroke wrote:I built a mini boat and put in a Kawasaki ultra 310 used the pump and pretty much everything out of the ski to build it, it is light and it will blow your mind on how well that little pump hooks up with a new impeller in it and 300 hp will do 69 mph with 2 people in a 13 foot boat with 21 gallons of fuel in it and run on 3 to 4 inches of water all day and no water when the time comes and that little pump doesn't seem to care about rocks in the grate had 11 rocks in it first trip out and couldn't even tell they were in there burns about 4 gallons an hr just cruising around.

From the builds I’ve seen that Kawasaki is a really clean install also.
Nater11
Beer Boy

Postby markh2000 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:08 pm

The Rotax engine options are great and will perform as good as the sportjet, even lighter in weight and with engine options with more power! Pacific Powertrain has been working with the Rotax for three years and we are very happy with its performance. Stop in and go for a ride in the Phantom test boat with Rotax power if you have any doubt... https://pacificpowertraininc.com/pages/engines
markh2000
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby Susitna907 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Ahusk wrote:507 lbs according to the Indmar thread.

That seems heavy if regarding just the motor..
With the engine wet and an SD309, the entire pckg should come in around 550#...
Susitna907
Beer Boy

Postby Susitna907 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:37 pm

steelheadfreak wrote: If there was something else in development, I'm sure we would have heard about it by now.

A friend of mine was instrumental in the changes that Mercury made over the years, regarding the SJets. He's always in talks with these folks or sources that are in "the know".
His "source" told him last week that Mercury IS in the development stages for a SJet motor replacement. It WILL be a 4-stroke and it WILL sit on an existing SJet pump.
When they (Mercury) currently finish getting the hours that they see fit too get on it (I'm hearing WELL OVER 1000hrs), then and only then shall they be satisfied and announce a release.
Why didn't they do this BEFORE shutting down the 200 opti production? Don't know..
But it sure as hell would've been a nice piece of intel too have had BEFORE starting my new build!!
Susitna907
Beer Boy

Postby Ahusk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 am

Susitna907 wrote:
Ahusk wrote:507 lbs according to the Indmar thread.

That seems heavy if regarding just the motor..
With the engine wet and an SD309, the entire pckg should come in around 550#...

Sorry man but multiple people have now weighed it at over 500. I too wish it was lighter. It just ain't.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:46 am

markh2000 wrote:The Rotax engine options are great and will perform as good as the sportjet, even lighter in weight and with engine options with more power! Pacific Powertrain has been working with the Rotax for three years and we are very happy with its performance. Stop in and go for a ride in the Phantom test boat with Rotax power if you have any doubt... https://pacificpowertraininc.com/pages/engines

Can we throw about six people in on the test ride. They are an impressive little engine. I have over 300 hours on one. With a stockish sized intake and a normal non-dual impellar they just simply don't pack weight like a sportjet. I would be interested to see whether your new intake design remedied that.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby Snake River » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 pm

We have several OEMs who have converted over to the Rotax package, and according to their testing they are experiencing better over all performance out of this package. We experienced the same results in our testing, and why would an OEM have made the change if it was detrimental to their product. (one of these OEMs made the change two years ago) Anyone is welcome to come to our facility and we will gladly take them out in our test boat, and let them decide for themselves as to the level of performance that this package offers. Please call us for an appointment as we are continually doing research and development with this boat, and due to this it may be unavailable for us to get it on the water.
Snake River
Beer Boy

Postby Ahusk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 pm

I will be over in August I may call about a test ride if I can find six guys to come along with:) I had roughly 1000 lbs loaded in mine this weekend. It lifted it but it was anything but fast to tip over and I sure as hell wouldn't run it though any big rapids or super skinny. Mine also is only a 15 x 5.

Like I have said previously mine needs a bigger intake, it has from day one. I hope your intake will make it lift better. Neat little package for small boats. Hopefully it can be equally so for mid size boats.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby Snake River » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:01 pm

We look forward to seeing you, and taking you out on the water. Be sure to call to make sure that we have the boat available.
Snake River
Beer Boy

Return to River Jet Boating Board