Sponsor Directory

asking for help in preparing class on getting stuck/hole

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

asking for help in preparing class on getting stuck/hole

Postby lovetheedge » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 pm

I could use some help in preparing a class on taking on water and getting stuck on a sand bar. Here is what I have so far. I feel like I am missing some things so anything you think I should change to add to it would be appreciated. My thanks in advance.
Hitting a rock and put a hole in boat and it is taking on water.
1. Turn bilge pumps on
2. Tell everyone what is happening and make sure life jackets are on tight. If water is coming in quickly enough to sink the boat, prepare passengers to abandon the boat.
3. If someone can put a towel and hold it over the hole to slow water intake do so. Only a passenger should do this, don’t spend a lot of time doing this, get to shore.
4. Immediately head to shore and tie your boat to the shore. Best, if you have a choice is to get the bow of boat up on sand. If you have time and there is room, leave a spot for rescue boat to park next to you. If main engine stops use kicker motor.
5. Secure boat to shore.
6. Get passengers on shore if they are not helping to make any repair.
7. Keep bilge pumps working until all the water is out of boat.
8. Call for help on the radio.
Getting stuck on a sand/rock bar things to do
1. Turn off the engine immediately. You don’t want to suck up sand and or rocks thru the water intake and damage your jet pump.
2. Be sure all passengers have their life jackets on tight.
3. Tell passengers know not to jump overboard, for now safest place in on the boat, it is not sinking. The river current can be deceiving and the water can be very cold.
4. Throw out your anchor until ready to get off the sand bar with the help of rescue boat.
5. Radio for help.
6. Avoid the temptation to jump overboard and push it off the sandbar. The current can be strong on the sand bar and there is many times a sharp drop off putting you into the strong current.
7. If at all possible wait for rescue boat to pull you off.
8. Have rope prepared to give to rescue boat or receive the rope from them. DO NOT attach to railing. You risk being pulled over or under the water. Tie to back of transom or under the bow of boat to the “D” ring you use to tie the trailer strap to depending how it will be best for the rescue boat to pull you off. The rescue boat should never attempt to dislodge from downstream position, tow boat can get swamped as the rescue boat will tip towards the water once he puts power on to pull you.
9. Look over the situation and prepare possible plans and dangerous spots for the rescue boat for when rescue boat arrives.
lovetheedge
Captain

Re: asking for help in preparing class on getting stuck/hole

Postby viking » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:28 pm

viking
Captain

Postby NoProplem » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm

I tow drift socks alongside my boat when trolling to help with the wind, so they are always in the boat. Once on the Willamette I got stuck on a shallow gravel bar, and there was no chance me and my passenger could push the boat off. I got the idea to throw the drift socks out in the swifter water and was amazed at how hard they pulled, easily as much or more than most people could. With 2 drift socks out the 2 of us easily shoved the boat back into deeper water.

Mind you this was shallow water, with round rock bottom. No safety issues getting out of the boat..
NoProplem
First Mate

Postby lovetheedge » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm

I added a list of tools to have on board for these situations. Feel free to add to list. I did not want to carry a garage full of tools
Tools on the boat to have for these situations:
1. Come along
2. 50-100 feet of rope to tow boat with
3. Throw rope in bag
4. Crow bar
5. 2 pound hammer
6. Hand saw to cut tree limbs and create tree logs to wet-ten and can roll boat on them
7. Stay afloat emergency leak plug and sealant-Instantly stops water leaks
8. Clump of steel wool and epoxy that works when wet to stick into hole.
9. Tools to pull up floor in boat to reach the hole.
10 shovel
lovetheedge
Captain

Return to River Jet Boating Board