Sponsor Directory

Alicraft boats?

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

Alicraft boats?

Postby goofyexponent » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:02 pm

I've been thinking about upgrading to a 22'+ and have come across a few up north, I really like the lines and don't see many in my neck of the woods, what's everyone's opinion on quality, ride, shallow handling? I love my design concepts but it's not a shallow running boat by any means, which holds me back from trying anything I'm not 100% on. Whatever I replace it with will be big block/212 or Scott powered, late 90's to mid 2000's. Thank you in advance!
1997 20' design concepts, 350/3 stage
13' RMR sprint boat
goofyexponent
Boat Enthusiast

Re: Alicraft boats?

Postby riverboater » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Nothing wrong with alicraft boats, I have owned a few back in the 80's. I know of a 24ft, fresh UMHW, 460 ford with a 212 on a tandem wagon for 28g Canadian. Needs fresh paint to look like new. I just helped a friend sell his 22ft, fresh paint, engine, pump, top and upholstery for 25g Canadian. There are a few others around, Call Alicraft, 250-563-3406 They have a few used as well. They had a 20ft with lsx and 309 fresh build with plastic for a decent rate. Keep in mind the snow is on the ground in our area so the prices are as good as they get, The US dollar buys a lot of Canadian peso's.
riverboater
Captain

Re: Alicraft boats?

Postby prd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Maybe someone with more experience than me can give you a better answer but my thoughts are all the western Canadian boats are all very similar. Outlaw, alicraft, firefish, Bratt, etc. There are lots of other lesser known builders too. The designs are similar for the most part. All made tough and heavy to withstand the abuse of Canadian rivers. To me Outlaw is the most recognized brand and has been in business for a long time. Firefish are the nicest looking modern and flashy boats I've seen. Alicrafts are a cross between the two and are generally a little more utilitarian than the firefish. None are fast unless you put big horsepower behind them. My experience is mostly with outlaw hulls. They are good boats, not sexy but they hold up well. I see a lot of nahannis here, a little lighter than some of the more heavy duty models. A few folks have been buying Bratt Huskys recently. Where I live the waters are a little deeper so the 12 degree boats without extra bracing seem common. Most get steel keels. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those builders boats, just finding a good deal on a used one can be tough. 22s are rare. 16-20s are much more common. Personally I like wide boats, 6 foot or 6.5, you get a lot more space. Early outlaws and marathons typically had 5.5 foot bottoms. 6s became more popular later and now 6.5s seem to be the norm for longer boats. You see some 7s now and again but they are rare
prd
Deck Swab

Return to River Jet Boating Board