Sponsor Directory

Missouri River in Montana

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

Missouri River in Montana

Postby jhjeff69 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 pm

How far up the Missouri River is it possible to run from Helena? Is it possible to launch at Helena and get to Fort Peck Lake?
jhjeff69
Deck Swab

Re: Missouri River in Montana

Postby MTRiverRunner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:46 pm

jhjeff69 wrote:How far up the Missouri River is it possible to run from Helena? Is it possible to launch at Helena and get to Fort Peck Lake?

From Helena? Helena is smack in the middle of a huge complex of Dams. You can put in at Canyon Ferry and run up to Toston Dam, about 20 miles or so. You can put in at Toston Dam and run up to Headwaters state park, 28 miles. You can put in below Holter Dam (you need to check the regs I believe that there is a stretch that is non motorized immediately below the dam) and run down to Great Falls. There are a couple of dams at great falls. You can put in again at Widow coulee immediately below Morony Dam and then run to Ft. Peck about 260 miles (although the lake is getting closer and closer everyday).
26 ft Duckworth Offshore Twin 225 Mercury V6 in build
24 ft HCM, LSA/212 Sold but missing it.
17 ft Wooldridge AK 150 Opti Pro XS
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Postby johnsos6 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:55 am

MTRiverRunner wrote:You can put in below Holter Dam (you need to check the regs I believe that there is a stretch that is non motorized immediately below the dam) and run down to Great Falls.

when I lived there I ran a 16 ft aluminum w/ a 15 hp from Holter dam up past Dearborne???? There wasn't any regulations that were non-motorized below the dam when I lived there. I loved giving the finger to the guides who thought they owned that stretch below the dam,,,,,primadonnas in their drift boats and me in my 1968 16 ft Sears Craftsman aluminum boat.

MTRR - you should see me during the week in my boat when I come to MT and fish beaver creek, you'd laugh your butt off with the guides. I know that place like that back of my hand after growing up on it, some monster 10 lb trout in that section. I've seen 15 lb German Browns. 8 lb walleye - now that blew my mind when I started catching walleye up there w/ wedding bands and meps spinners.

They have tried to get Tim Crawford and BOD for the Gates of the Mtns (Non-Profit Organization) to privatize the boat launch for the general public that has a fully funded tax payer paid for road.

the only dam you cannot launch a jet boat below from is Hauser in to Holter. you could do the trip you would just be taking your boat out a few times
johnsos6
Forum Enthusiast

Postby MTRiverRunner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:00 am

Scott,

You should know that they are proposing to close that beaver creek stretch to all power boats.
http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/management/upperMissouriRiver.html
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Postby TJet Apprentice45 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks Lee for posting that link to the Proposed Changes.
I love the fact they claim that Heavy enforcement of the no wake speeds on the Hauser Tail Water has been used in the past. In four and a half years of school and fishing that stretch on a very regular basis, we never once saw a FWP official get out of their truck, let alone one in a boat. They regularly drove to the Hauser Dam from Helena, but that’s as far as they would make it.
Not even the guys running flat bottom johnboats can go up that stretch without making a wake. I think that's why FWP doesn't take a boat all the way up there. They would hate to have someone take a picture of them cruising up that stretch making a wake. Good work FWP, lets close a stretch to power boats so no one can use it unless you walk. If you are not able to get around well, navigating the canyon on foot would be impossible. Especially on the North East side after you cross the Dam.
Its to bad, that stretch has some amazing trout and walleye fishing. Guess we better get it in as much as possible. At this rate it will be closed to only so many people a week wearing little cloth booties so we don't hurt the bugs and grass.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating
TJet Apprentice45
Beer Boy

Postby johnsos6 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:53 pm

read it, interesting stuff. we use to float that water down from the dam when I was kid. Now I keep seeing more and more Carroll College and University of MT graduates there

if they close it, well then they close it. there is only very specific times during the year (spring time) I will put my boat up past beaver creek. usually it's just so someone can see the dam. there is a lot of steel and concrete in the section if you don't know where they are at. For the Idaho guys - it would be like Grave Yard on the Snake but much larger sleepers.

everytime I've been over there since I've moved from MT to Idaho - I have always seen F&G in their boat, but the other guy is absolutely correct, there is no way to get up river above Beaver Creek w/out creating a wake especially in the right side channel (headed up) - 95% of the time the left channel you just can't get a boat through that

I've caught a lot of big browns above beaver creek w/ black and green wooly boogers. Have caught a bunch of German Browns at Meriwether picnic area as well where the ''old tourboat'' dock use to be - red dare devils on a spinning rod. My brother who lives in Helena says the walleye fishing is absolutely amazing right at the front of the gates, but I'd rather be drifting on the river.

fishing is better below Beaver Creek anyways and I will still get to have my fun w/ the ''gods gift to world of guides'' who think they own that place.
johnsos6
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Nater11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:59 pm

johnsos6 wrote:
MTRiverRunner wrote:You can put in below Holter Dam (you need to check the regs I believe that there is a stretch that is non motorized immediately below the dam) and run down to Great Falls.

when I lived there I ran a 16 ft aluminum w/ a 15 hp from Holter dam up past Dearborne???? There wasn't any regulations that were non-motorized below the dam when I lived there. I loved giving the finger to the guides who thought they owned that stretch below the dam,,,,,primadonnas in their drift boats and me in my 1968 16 ft Sears Craftsman aluminum boat.

MTRR - you should see me during the week in my boat when I come to MT and fish beaver creek, you'd laugh your butt off with the guides. I know that place like that back of my hand after growing up on it, some monster 10 lb trout in that section. I've seen 15 lb German Browns. 8 lb walleye - now that blew my mind when I started catching walleye up there w/ wedding bands and meps spinners.

They have tried to get Tim Crawford and BOD for the Gates of the Mtns (Non-Profit Organization) to privatize the boat launch for the general public that has a fully funded tax payer paid for road.

the only dam you cannot launch a jet boat below from is Hauser in to Holter. you could do the trip you would just be taking your boat out a few times

Isn't Beaver creek just below Holter dam. I was thinking about making this run in a few weeks and wondering anything to watch for between Hauser and Holter? Why just taking your boat out a few times? Rocks?
Nater11
Deck Swab

Postby d4570 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:41 am

From Fort Benton down to Fort peck is in the "Wild and scenic monument " Only down stream travel in the summer, non motorized. I think that opens up for power boats Sept first.
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby Nater11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks
Nater11
Deck Swab

Postby MTRiverRunner » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Nater11 wrote:
johnsos6 wrote:

Isn't Beaver creek just below Holter dam. I was thinking about making this run in a few weeks and wondering anything to watch for between Hauser and Holter? Why just taking your boat out a few times? Rocks?

Beaver creek is not in the Wild and Scenic Section. It is no wake zone from Beaver creek to the dam. You can run right up to Beaver Creek very easily. above there there are definitely rocks to look out for.
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Return to River Jet Boating Board