Sponsor Directory

Dilemma so sell it or take with me

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

Dilemma so sell it or take with me

Postby Idamainer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 am

I considering a move to the Carolinas very soon and I will own my boat next year.

My dilemma is do I take it with me or should I sell it?

On one hand this boat Northwest Jet Signature series handles very well in all kinds of water, on the other hand there is my wife telling me to sell it get another boat when we get there.

A little about this boat, it was neglected for years or not maintained to my standards prior to purchase. Since I have taken ownership I have spent a lot of money having the engine rebuilt, new axles tires and wheels last year, and new Hamilton pump due to a river surprise. I have also polished the aluminum on the back and all railings. The boat is powered by a fuel injected 7.4 marine power engine that was rebuilt by valley crankshaft and most parts like the alternator and electric parts have all been replaced. For me this is the perfect boat for a river or lake excursions that we have used on both. It was also outfitted with 2 electric downriggers, salt water fishing pole prior purchase and a washdown pump.
While it may be an odd ball in the Carolinas, it may prove to be a lot of fun. This boat has been out to sea before and I would add anodes to prevent major corrosion.

I say keep it!
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Novice Baiter

Re: Dilemma so sell it or take with me

Postby jl8jeff » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:12 am

When you've done a bunch of maintenance or repairs to any boat or vehicle, it's tough to sell and buy something else that you will feel confident with. Usually you will end up buying someone else's problems in another used boat/vehicle. If the boat is running the way you want it to run, I would keep it. It will probably cost more in the long run to buy another one and fix it again.
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
1993 Jetcraft Sprint with ZZ3 350 and Hamilton 772
jl8jeff
Buoy Boy

Postby Ahusk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:14 am

Sell it and buy a good glass boat designed to live in salt. Your kidneys will thank you.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby gordo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 pm

I have a 22 ft. aluminum jet boat. It's been from Niagara Falls to Key West. Sometimes I want a bigger aluminum jet boat, and sometimes I want a smaller aluminum jet boat,But I would never rather have a glass boat. I say keep it! It's the SUV of boats. Gordo
gordo
Boat Enthusiast

Postby viking » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Buy your wife a nice pair of shoes. Or something.
viking
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 pm

A difficulty I see is finding a mechanic who is familiar with jet boats. We see posts all the time from people outside of our area needing help finding a good shop, sometimes any shop.
If you can do most of the work yourself, then the problem is minimized. Same for boat damage repairing busted aluminum boats is a local skill.
Also consider how easy and what price would you get there vs here.
Also consider how you would be using the boat there in the next 5 years, ie water skiing? and will your boat be able to fulfill those needs.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby Music Man » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Then again "A bird in hand is worth 2 in he bush" :Drink:
2008 24' HCM 8.1L "River Dog"
2018 12' MotoJet "River Pup"
Music Man
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Stumpy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Keep the boat. Stay in Idaho?
Stumpy
Buoy Boy

Postby Idamainer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 am

Taking the boat and going to the Raleigh/Durham Area of North Carolina. They have runnable rivers there just no rapids, I will build a jet boat garage to house it. Problem solved.
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Novice Baiter

Postby handyandy » Wed May 09, 2018 7:12 am

I think you will like having it there, but might find it's over kill for the sort of rivers there. A jet boat could be very good around there, but I think a smaller flatter bottom more open jet boat of some kind might be more beneficial for the small shallow rivers in that area. But I'm with the others if it's almost paid for, and you've done a lot of work to it I'd keep it, with some modifications it could prove to be a good inter coastal boat there.
handyandy
Beer Boy

Postby handyandy » Wed May 09, 2018 7:14 am

if you want rapids make a trip up towards Virginia/West Virginia and go on the new river. I'm in southern indiana but the army will have me in Fort Lee VA in June. I'm dragging my boat along to fish the james river while I'm there, and planning on doing some running and fishing on the new river on my way back.
handyandy
Beer Boy

Postby handyandy » Wed May 09, 2018 7:16 am

Sorry didn't realize how old this thread was till now
handyandy
Beer Boy

Return to River Jet Boating Board