Sponsor Directory

Wetlander/Bottom Coating Side Effects

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

Wetlander/Bottom Coating Side Effects

Postby mitch184 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:12 am

So, first wanted to say that I did do quite a bit of searching on here before making this thread. Just didn't quite find the answers. Question regarding the side effects of bottom coating a small sled.

1. Does having the entire bottom effect how an outboard pump loads? Any extra cavitation?

2. Turning... very shallow or even flat bottom sled with lifting strakes. Will the coating cause the boat to slide MORE? General consensus is that the wetlander will increase speeds somewhat. Same principle it would seems like it would cause the boat to slide more in turns.

3. Tracking while fishing. side drifting, backtrolling, anchored.... i'd assume it wouldn't track quite as good for the reasons above when backtrolling. For everything else seems like it would be better.

4. Painted sides, coated bottom and sometimes tidewater use. Any issues with corrosion as long as "normal" anodes are used?

Any thoughts on these?
mitch184
Deck Swab

Re: Wetlander/Bottom Coating Side Effects

Postby steelheadfreak » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 am

Its a painted on material. You should see very little change in performance on the water. Now you will see a difference if your boat is for some strange reason on terra-firma........Its a coating for helping slide across grass, dirt, mud, light gravel. That sort of thing. Wont protect against a hit. Your hull will still dent. That said, I think the material is an awesome choice for a used tin boat. Will seal up leaky rivets like a hot-dam. For the price of it, with an older boat, its a no brainer. No idea how it works in the saltwater. No idea on life expectancy either.
steelheadfreak
Beer Boy

Postby Ridgeclimber1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:36 pm

I used the wet lander coating on my mini. It works great. It helps to slide over the gravel with out gulling and digging into the aluminum. It actually works to good. The boat will slide right of of dry carpeted bunks on the trailer. Or when you beach the boat high and dry on the beach, you better tie it up cause it will slide back into the water if your not watching it. I have worn off some of the coating and will be reapplying it over the winter.
2009 22ft. Rogue jet boat works, 5.7l w/Hamilton 212
2015 11ft. mini jet, 215hp 4tec seadoo
Ridgeclimber1
Novice Baiter

Postby trebreklaw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Have it on for 2 years. It slides great and I increased top speed with it on so obviously less friction while on plane.
Will not protect from rock . I will recoat the scratched areas before next season.
Warning !!!! do not unhook boat while backing down ramp . Mine landed on ramp first time I launched.
Overall I like it.
trebreklaw
Beer Boy

Postby Hell Yes » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 am

I echo these reports.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby d4570 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:31 am

We use "Gator glide", Same thing kinda, wonderful
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby Sk1nny waters » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:22 pm

I wonder how this product would look on the sides of a boat, like a paint on the aluminum instead of wrapping it like lots of guys do? I already have uhmw bottom.
Sk1nny waters
Deck Swab

Postby maximillion » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:07 pm

It's fine until you get in the gravel, gravel and rocks will take it right off. pretty tough to beat UHMW
maximillion
Deck Swab

Postby wannaplay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:59 am

Wetlander, lasted one trip up the Tuchodi.
When I can afford the install, UHMW next.
followed the instructions to the letter, the stuff does not stand up to impacts with rocks like i was hoping it would..
In Wetlanders defence, I don't think they say it will stand up to severe impact... :bash:
wannaplay
Beer Boy

Postby steelheadfreak » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:07 pm

wannaplay wrote:Wetlander, lasted one trip up the Tuchodi.
When I can afford the install, UHMW next.
followed the instructions to the letter, the stuff does not stand up to impacts with rocks like i was hoping it would..
In Wetlanders defence, I don't think they say it will stand up to severe impact... :bash:

HAHA.....its a paint or spray on product. To think it would protect your boat from impacts is crazy.
steelheadfreak
Beer Boy

Postby Hell Yes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:11 am

I know it is hard to stay out of the rocks on the tuchodi but it does stay on if you do. I have had it on for 2-3 years and it looks good still.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby mitch184 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:08 pm

On a directly perpendicular hit from a rock, no "paint" or "spray" coatings probably won't help.

In almost every other situation I can't see why it won't help. What hurts more slides on dry grass or wet grass? What damages aluminum more, a rock that stick and gouges or a rock that slides? Longevity aside, I really don't see how anyone can even attempt to argue that it doesn't help?
mitch184
Deck Swab

Return to River Jet Boating Board