Sponsor Directory

2.3 ecoboost finally!!!!

Moderator: Raptor_Engineering

Re: 2.3 ecoboost finally!!!!

Postby Raptor_Engineering » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Please see below picture to help answer your technical questions.

Thank You for considering this great new power plant for your next boat or repower!
Attachments
2.3L.jpg
www.indmar.com
Raptor_Engineering
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby chariotdriver » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Has this engine been coupled to any jet drives? The performance plots appear superior to a 350/5.7 looking like it would spin a 2.4 well into the 4k range.
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby broncobran68 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:06 am

Rogue hooked one to a 212.
broncobran68
First Mate

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:15 am

Customweld is also putting one in front of an American turbine. (Edit: It's a 309, replacing the originally planned sport jet.) I think they started the conversion last week.

Need4speed has it right, read below!
Last edited by Jetdaddy77 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
Master Baiter

Postby cbsneed4speed » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Custom Weld Facebook page says they're using the AT309
2019 Custom Weld 24' Whitewater Bush RAPTOR 575 Scott 912
cbsneed4speed
Master Baiter

Postby hilljackian » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Hey Indmar, I am interested to hear what the 2.3 Eco-Boost exhaust note sounds like underway. Please educate us, a video or audio clip would be much appreciated.
1984 Weldcraft, 24-FT, 8.1L HO, Hamilton 1031
1996 HeliArc ProSport 20-FT, 350CID/340HP RamJet, Legend Pump *SOLD*
hilljackian
Master Baiter

Postby Neilsledder » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 pm

I see Fire fish just did there first test with this motor on a 16' 6" boat. Looked really impressive!
Neilsledder
Deck Swab

Postby bluepilot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Coyote in Canada also has a test boat. The Firefish is a 16.5 foot boat has a 212 in it and spins a 2.4 impeller @ 4150rpm at altitude. 5-6 GPH at cruise... Top speed down river at 49mph. :Power:
bluepilot
Deck Swab

Postby Susitna907 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:26 pm

cbsneed4speed wrote:Custom Weld Facebook page says they're using the AT309

That 20' Shallow water at Custom Weld that's getting the 2.3l EcoBoost is mine. Mercury screwed the pooch for me on the original SJet setup, so we went too plan B. From my research, speaking too NWJetboats about theirs, watching Firefish vids, and talking to Stephan the owner of Firefish, I'm now glad Mercury did what they did..
I am building a purpose built lighter weight boat for our shallow Alaskan rivers, where the SJX seems too really shine. But I didn't want one of those (not a huge fan of their floor plan layout) and they're loud. My hull weight is approx. +/- 150# heavier then the 16' Piranha in the Firefish videos, and I'm running 8* deadrise. Even though the EcoBoost and AT309 pump are a little heavier then the SJet package (+/- 240#), I honestly think I will still be better off down the road overall..
The engine just arrived and is at the CWeld shop now and should be installed this week staring tomorrow. Hopefully to have her wet by first week of August.
We're going to test 2 different 4-blade SS impellers for the initial water tests, so we're all very intrigued as too the final numbers that this boat will churn out.
Susitna907
Deck Swab

Postby Ahusk » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 pm

I would imagine that it will be a phenomenal package for what you doing. In that big of a boat I doubt you would even notice the weight difference.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby ghost123 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:55 pm

I see Indmar has developed their Ecojet to couple up with the 2.3 Ecoboost. Is anyone considering putting both components in a boat? It will be interesting to see how they work together compared to other jet pumps. Your thoughts. :chicken:
ghost123
Deck Swab

Postby Susitna907 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:25 am

ghost123 wrote:I see Indmar has developed their Ecojet to couple up with the 2.3 Ecoboost. Is anyone considering putting both components in a boat? It will be interesting to see how they work together compared to other jet pumps. Your thoughts. :chicken:

No..
From what I've heard, the ecojet doesn't have the moxie or the parts to chew on 3/4minus in the rivers. Its more orientated towards work on lakes with ski boats. I could have heard wrong, but that's the overall jist of what I've heard.
We put the American Turbine SD309 behind my ecoboost and it's doing amazing. My 20' Shallow Water build over at Custom Weld just finished up and it's a dandy!! It literally surprised many people on not just the holeshot torque and performance, but the fuel economy as well. The hoard's of people over at Riverview yesterday with their hands all over it, a few actually went for a ride in it and came back saying that it wouldn't surprise them if it outdid the AT312. It's working as advertised.
Susitna907
Deck Swab

Postby jetboatwanabe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Susitna907 wrote:
ghost123 wrote:I see Indmar has developed their Ecojet to couple up with the 2.3 Ecoboost. Is anyone considering putting both components in a boat? It will be interesting to see how they work together compared to other jet pumps. Your thoughts. :chicken:

No..
From what I've heard, the ecojet doesn't have the moxie or the parts to chew on 3/4minus in the rivers. Its more orientated towards work on lakes with ski boats. I could have heard wrong, but that's the overall jist of what I've heard.
We put the American Turbine SD309 behind my ecoboost and it's doing amazing. My 20' Shallow Water build over at Custom Weld just finished up and it's a dandy!! It literally surprised many people on not just the holeshot torque and performance, but the fuel economy as well. The hoard's of people over at Riverview yesterday with their hands all over it, a few actually went for a ride in it and came back saying that it wouldn't surprise them if it outdid the AT312. It's working as advertised.

I was wandering what impeller they put behind that engine in your combo. ps saw the video of it getting on plane with 11 guys in it, surprising. :Drink1: :bash:
:chicken:
Rock Hauler and new jet boat owner YE HA 10 foot MOTO-JET
sold MOTO-JET and starting new build CJC marine MINI 12 foot, getting wet soon but still paddling for now!
jetboatwanabe
Master Baiter

Postby Susitna907 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:32 am

I was wandering what impeller they put behind that engine in your combo. ps saw the video of it getting on plane with 11 guys in it, surprising.

We figured that either an "A" pitch or a "B" pitch were going to be the "go-to's" in this project. The motor is designed too wrap out at 5000rpm. I wanted too stay away from that number, and knowing that I wanted more low end grunt rather then top speed, we started with the A-pitch. With 11guys in it (approx. 2200lbs) it took about 2 1/2 boat lengths to get on step. Topped out at 40mph at +/- 3500rpm. It was heavy, but it did it rather well. Brice thinks that it can haul even more without straining it. We'll see about that one.
With 4 guys in it on it's initial test run, the "A" pitch gave it 4350rpm with a top speed of 45mph going upriver with 25gals of fuel. A nice 29mph cruise was obtained @ 3100rpm and 5.2gph. Since those are numbers that I can work with, that's where it stayed. Never did put the "B" pitch in. It'll be "finished finished" today, 8/19. I'll be down there this Thursday to run it and then bring it home..
Susitna907
Deck Swab

Postby ghost123 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:40 pm

Sounds like a great combination. Perhaps I can hope my 4.3 liter marine power dies and I can upgrade to the 2.3, not that I would wish for anything bad to happen to my current engine. :o :o :o
ghost123
Deck Swab

Postby Susitna907 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Indmar knocked it outta the park on this engine! This thing rocks!
I went down to lewiston and got my boat from Custom Weld. Ran it for 1.3hrs up/down on the Clearwater with 5 of us in the boat and had an absolute blast. Could only find 10" of water. That motor has got more torque then I thought and plenty of speed for days.. When she spools up that turbo, man you know it..
Brought it home in just 4 days and then got to get it out on a local river up here for a bit. Since all of the rivers here are extremely low right now, what better way to really test it. Did several deadstop holeshots in 12" of water, no problem! Ran through 7" and never touched, let alone sucked up any debris. Trailered it up and took off for another interior river over the weekend. It was EXTREMELY low for this time of year and I figured that if I'm gonna knock the new off of it, it'll be here.
First trip down river I scraped it over a gravel bar, never even slowed down. Thanks to the UHMW on the bottom of course. Had a channel get skinny on me before I could really respond and still shot through 5" without hitting bottom.
With this motor and Custom Weld's 20' Shallow Water, they have a home run here...
Pleased is an understatement!!
Susitna907
Deck Swab

Postby Bobcat93 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Susitna907 wrote:Indmar knocked it outta the park on this engine! This thing rocks!
I went down to lewiston and got my boat from Custom Weld. Ran it for 1.3hrs up/down on the Clearwater with 5 of us in the boat and had an absolute blast. Could only find 10" of water. That motor has got more torque then I thought and plenty of speed for days.. When she spools up that turbo, man you know it..
Brought it home in just 4 days and then got to get it out on a local river up here for a bit. Since all of the rivers here are extremely low right now, what better way to really test it. Did several deadstop holeshots in 12" of water, no problem! Ran through 7" and never touched, let alone sucked up any debris. Trailered it up and took off for another interior river over the weekend. It was EXTREMELY low for this time of year and I figured that if I'm gonna knock the new off of it, it'll be here.
First trip down river I scraped it over a gravel bar, never even slowed down. Thanks to the UHMW on the bottom of course. Had a channel get skinny on me before I could really respond and still shot through 5" without hitting bottom.
With this motor and Custom Weld's 20' Shallow Water, they have a home run here...
Pleased is an understatement!!

Does it have an intercooler? And if so where is it mounted?
2005 Hewescraft 20' Sportjet
Bobcat93
Buoy Boy

Postby Susitna907 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:44 am

Yes
It’s on the lower front of the motor.
Susitna907
Deck Swab

Postby Bobcat93 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Susitna907 wrote:Yes
It’s on the lower front of the motor.

Can you post pictures of it yet? I'd like to see how it is set up-Never mind I saw some videos posted by Customweld on Facebook. Wow I am impressed. Seems pretty quiet, and with 11 people in the boat it had no problem getting on step. I have the Sportjet in my Hewescraft. Maybe ones of these days I'd like to convert it over to the Ecoboost...thats one heck of a set up.
2005 Hewescraft 20' Sportjet
Bobcat93
Buoy Boy

Postby Raptor_Engineering » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:46 pm

2.3L 9-6-19.jpg
www.indmar.com
Raptor_Engineering
Forum Page Sponsor

Previous

Return to Indmar Marine Engines