Sponsor Directory

New 7.3 Ford Engine Specs

Moderator: Raptor_Engineering

New 7.3 Ford Engine Specs

Postby Great White » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:22 am

I stumbled across a You Tube post that disclosed the specs on the new 7.3L gasser,

430 Hp at 5500 RPM
475 Lb torque at 4000 RPM.

I'm sure an HO version will arrive in 3-5 years, but you guys have any plans for the current version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7m5GDNeac
21' Custom Weld WWS...LS3/212.
Great White
First Mate

Re: New 7.3 Ford Engine Specs

Postby FlyLow » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:38 am

Looks like a good heavy duty engine. It would be interesting to have two identical boats comparing the raptor 460 to the 7.3l. Push rod vs sohc.
What I find interesting is that ford is at both ends of the power density spectrum. Small ecoboost engines running at full tilt vs bigger displacement loafing along. It’s amazing that the ecoboost engines last as long as they do.
FlyLow
Forum Enthusiast

Postby waylon » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:11 pm

interested to see how fast the 7.3 makes it into the marine industry, with a build sheet that impressive it should go 3-4 k hours easily. And I would suspect it will burn less fuel than either of the 6.2. available?
"Only God knows why"
waylon
Master Baiter

Postby phatboy07 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:34 pm

FlyLow wrote:Looks like a good heavy duty engine. It would be interesting to have two identical boats comparing the raptor 460 to the 7.3l. Push rod vs sohc.
What I find interesting is that ford is at both ends of the power density spectrum. Small ecoboost engines running at full tilt vs bigger displacement loafing along. It’s amazing that the ecoboost engines last as long as they do.

The ecoboost engines don't run full tilt...they loft along like a bigger discplacement engines They have tons of tourque down low. I have been in the 3.5L and the 2.7L...they loft along at low rpm. In fact if you compare those two mentioned engines in the F-150's against the optional 5.0L engines they run less rpm to do the same work at cerian loads. Not that they don't rev out a bit now and then but they def don't get reved out high during normal to moderate driving/towing. Being truboed however most likely poses more wear and tear but if the engine is designed to take the extra abuse it is probably why the ecoboost last as long as they do.
phatboy07
Deck Swab

Postby FlyLow » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am

phatboy07 wrote:
FlyLow wrote:Looks like a good heavy duty engine. It would be interesting to have two identical boats comparing the raptor 460 to the 7.3l. Push rod vs sohc.

The ecoboost engines don't run full tilt...they loft along like a bigger discplacement engines They have tons of tourque down low. I have been in the 3.5L and the 2.7L...they loft along at low rpm. In fact if you compare those two mentioned engines in the F-150's against the optional 5.0L engines they run less rpm to do the same work at cerian loads. Not that they don't rev out a bit now and then but they def don't get reved out high during normal to moderate driving/towing. Being truboed however most likely poses more wear and tear but if the engine is designed to take the extra abuse it is probably why the ecoboost last as long as they do.

My statement is about volumetric efficiency and power density not rpm. It's a newish development that standard engines make more than 100hp per liter and those typically are not in work vehicles. An example of low power density is commercial fishing boats, 13L engines making 250-350hp is an average hp so they last tens of thousands of hours (load percentage 45-65%.)
FlyLow
Forum Enthusiast

Postby prd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:40 am

Looks like a great jet boat engine. I wonder about the weight but it looks like it would push a 3.4 well or even a 4.0. Looks like a good commercial gas engine anyhow. I hope they they do develop the package into a marine platform.
NA 7.3 seems like a good engine. Hopefully fuel prices go down. I pay 1.83 a litre. But in all honesty I don't care, because no other gas I burn is as much fun. My little tw200 takes about 8l to fill and does provide some smiles but I can't fit 10 people on the bike.
prd
Beer Boy

Postby broncobran68 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:34 pm

One of the interviews I saw said it was a little lighter than the 6.2.
broncobran68
First Mate

Return to Indmar Marine Engines