Re: Cache of 1960's Photos found of Hell's Canyon

Postby salmonslayer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 pm

those are great old pics
2003 weldcraft sabre 20'
salmonslayer
Beer Boy

Postby WARPIG » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Does anyone have any pictures or knowledge of an old red dot named the paiute, it may have a sister ship named the cayuse. I have the paiute now it is a 78 with a blue band with red diamonds on it. Would be cool to see some pics or stories of it from the old days.

Thanks, and cool thread.
WARPIG
Deck Swab

Postby Diamond8 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:09 am

Hello Everyone,

Well all I can say is wow!! I Love this site!! I am the nephew of Bruce Oakes and my grandfather was Hollis Oakes. Bruce is still around and he lives just down river from Heller Bar but he also has a cabin up in Dixie Idaho above the Salmon river canyon and he spends a lot of time up there. I have many, many fond memories of growing up and spending time in the Canyon. Bruce is mellowing in his old age but was quite the rough character in his younger years to put it lightly. Even though he could be a hard ass on me when I would go to visit I still wanted to spend every spring break, summer break, etc. up the canyon with my uncle Bruce when growing up as kid. I loved the canyon and loved spending time up there with him.

I have so many found memories from up there and now I need to break out my old photo albums and start posting pictures. Myself and the family have many to add..........me being 41 a lot of my pictures are from the late 70's and 80's so I will need to find the proper place to post them. I attended the University of Idaho and spent many of my weekends in college down at my uncle Burce's and Grandparents place at Heller Bar. Hunting, fishing, getting wood, camping up the canyon......it was an incredible way to grow up..........I absolutely loved it. Thanks for sharing all the cool pictures and stories.........I love them all. I will try and get some pictures of my own posted here in the coming weeks. Keep up the good work it is nice to keep the memories and history of this incredible spot in Idaho a live and well.

Take Care,

Dave
Diamond8
Deck Swab

Postby On The Rocks » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Very much looking forward to more old pics and some stories to go along with them.. Bob
1970 Oakes 22' 440 Raptor, 212
On The Rocks
Captain

Postby Lincoln » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Personally I don't care if you post them in this thread or start a new one. I'm looking forward to them too.
Lincoln
Captain

Postby Hooterville T » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Im glad to see this pop up again. Real cool stuff!!
Hooterville T
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Amayer223 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Great thread I have been running a green weldcraft the was registered to norm riddle through Idaho parks and rec before the fellow that I bought it from. Was built in 81 and has seen ton of use. It's a great boat.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGLYQlaX6gg&sns=em not sure if this will work but this is a link to a video my sister on law took the first time we ran peg leg
Amayer223
Deck Swab

Postby Amayer223 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Here is Video of run down. I have put a lot of work into a new motor and the pump. There are a lot of scars. If they could talk. I've always wondered about the history that's why I checked with the park service on the numbers. Oddly it only had record of norms ownership from 85 till 2000 and them the previouse owner. Maybe someone here has more info.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvFcMpQTgrk&sns=em
Amayer223
Deck Swab

Postby dingy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Vintagedude, I want to thank you for this read, and pictures. this is quite possibly one of the most interesting and informative subjects I have had the opportunity to look through and read since Louis LA,moure as a kid in school! :Drink:
dingy
Buoy Boy

Postby Oakes » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Bill, I have looked at these pictures several times over the last year or so and didnt realize until now that you have a picture of my boat when she was new! What a great pic of her running water! Thanks
Oakes
Deck Swab

Postby NWB 2012 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Did anyone else notice the rapid the boat named "The Gambler" was running downstream on the Oregon side of the pour over rock? My Grandpa, Dr. Omer Drury, said they used to always run the Oregon side both upstream and downstream. When they were allowed to do rafting jet back trips, they used to run both his Oakes 24' sleds up the Oregon side because that was the only side they could make it up with a full load of rafts. He said if you were loaded heavy on the downstream run, you always nudged a rock, but it never hurt the boats. He said loaded light you never knew it was there.
2010 Hells Canyon Marine 17' Supercharged Ecotec, American Turbine 203

Previous Boat - 1979 Oakes 28'

Formerly "NWB" on this forum - lost the login to the black hole of the internet...
NWB 2012
Buoy Boy

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:05 am

NWB 2012 wrote:Did anyone else notice the rapid the boat named "The Gambler" was running downstream on the Oregon side of the pour over rock? My Grandpa, Dr. Omer Drury, said they used to always run the Oregon side both upstream and downstream. When they were allowed to do rafting jet back trips, they used to run both his Oakes 24' sleds up the Oregon side because that was the only side they could make it up with a full load of rafts. He said if you were loaded heavy on the downstream run, you always nudged a rock, but it never hurt the boats. He said loaded light you never knew it was there.

Which rapid is this?
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby 334okh » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 pm

I love the vintage photos and the history. In the first few pages there is mention of a "video". Can anyone tell me the name of the video and where I may find a copy? Thank you, Don
334okh
Deck Swab

Postby brucereichert » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:35 am

Hi Bill Grubin,
We're doing a small segment for an Outdoor Idaho show, trying to find some photos of when Arthur Godfrey came to Hells Canyon about 50 years ago. And that brought us to the wonderful collection of photos. We'd like to use a couple of them to cover someone talking about the Godfrey trip. My email address is bruce@idahoptv.org
and thanks for a really cool jet boating site. (I think the last time I was in Hells Canyon on a jet boat was in my older brother's jet boat, Gene Reichert.)
Best,
Bruce
brucereichert
Deck Swab

Postby Lincoln » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:18 am

If you don't here from Bill you may call Riddle Marine of Lewiston and ask for Doug. His father Norm (recently deceased) was in many of those pictures in this thread.
Lincoln
Captain

Postby Hootis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:07 am

What happened to this thread? Is there anyway to resume the story?
Bill, if your out there, thanks for sharing originally and to all others that have shared as well. :Drink:
Hootis
Deck Swab

Postby yh75847584 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:26 pm

such a beautiful place
waterjet http://waterjetapw.com
yh75847584
Deck Swab

Postby vintagedude » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Hello

Its been many years since I've posted some new pictures on this site, there may be some that have been possibly posted before. These are some interesting ones here, some never seen, there's a few pictures of some fatal boat accidents on the Snake, and primarily on the Salmon and upper Snake. I think one of the fatal boat accidents is a guy named "Lucky" who, if i'm not mistaken, 3 or 4 people lives were lost that day. The old story goes, that Lucky dropped his wife off on the shore to walk the rapid, and she watched in horror as Lucky and her daughters were swept away to their demise. Also, there's some photos of Norm Riddle, with some of the first "modern" jet boats ever produced, along with other notable early boaters, like Chuck Grubin, Tom Daniels and others. this would be in the 1960s. Hope you like this journey down yesteryear. If you recognize anybody, or want to make a comment feel free.

Thank you

This is Norm Riddle with one his very early designs, this boat went onto become the "Punky" boat, owned by Chuck Grubin. This is '1968, as that is a brand new Ford pickup. Norm built this boat for himself originally, but my dad had to have it, so bought it right on the production floor. Norm got serious after that, and started building boats more and more, it was a winning and timeless design

Vintage Stop over

Thats me, the little blond kid in the middle. My eyes were all over the blonde beauty to the right in the bikini, I loved her

The Virgin Sturgeon

Chuck Grubin in the "Punky" boat. I believe this to be Riddle Boat Number 1 produced (at least in modern design)

An early Riddle boat

This is Kirby Creek lodge during initial construction. This lodge still stands today. I slept in that tent and hunted Chukars in the back hills. I was 8 yrs old, probably around '1968 or so

Kirby Creek Construction

Runnin' the rapids

Kirby Creek The walls are up, taking shape...

Kirby Creek, view from river...

Wooden hull, with outdrive, the early days of the infamous SACAJAWEA...yes it will have a hole in it sooner or later...!!! sunk numerous times, one of them was on the Salmon by Norm and Chuck, it was running fuel for the USFS. It was later salvaged.

Fishing was fantastic that day...

The new dock at Kirby Creek, 1970s era

Salmon river, possibly the slide, not sure...

DRINKING BEER out of a STEEL CAN

Some of the first SEADOO's on the market. Docks in Lewiston...

Thats Maureen Parr Aka "Tootie" daughter of Clair Parr, one of the old legends of the early days

Looking rather serious...because, yes this is serious business....

Riddles infamous "Sacajawea" on a lake, perhaps Pend Oreille

My father, Chuck Grubin with materials for Kirby Creek lodge, all hauled in by boat...around '1968 or so

3 boats 'workin on the lodge at Kirby Creek

Norm Riddle picking up rocks...

Runnin' full throttle

First view of "Crofoot" lodge boat. This was a wreck, Im thinking "Lucky" was piloting this boat on its fatal journey, just not sure. This is clearly during salvage operations.
I believe Norm Riddle was the man was salvaged this boat. This is on the Salmon

Riddles Sacajawea. Wooden boat, very early on...

Yes, life was good. Great place to grow up for the kids. No cell phones or video games to waste their lives with.

Virgin Sturgeon

Tom Daniels reelin' one in, when fish were really plentiful, almost every cast...

Notice the twin Merc outboards...still not enough power...

Virgin Sturgeon an early Riddle Boat

Unknown early boaters..lots of fish though...

Crofoot lodge wreck, rocks do make holes...on the Salmon river, probably mid 1960s

Norm Riddle with a fresh caught salmon in Lewiston. I can see the resemblance when I see Doug, his son.

Lotsa kids, having a great time, but most likely overloaded. Burnin' lots of fuel at 27 cents a gallon...wow

Yes, those rivers produced an amazing amount of fish...

Crofoot boat, most likely refloated after salvage...

Lets go!! I got a brand new '1968 Ford, she's a beauty

Another salvage, boat unknown, probably a Riddle salvage

Early inboard V-8, most likely a 327 chev. Suckin gas and 'haulin ass

Thats Mack Blakely standing there

The Crofoot wreck. The writing on front of boat says it all.

Some call it primitive accommodations. We prefer to call it: "First Cabin" instead of First Class

Tom Daniels, going after sturgeon

Riddle family

Proud Captain of the Sacajawea. Legend Norm Riddle at the helm...

J-CLASS HYDRO RACES in Lewiston...Early party barge and those pesky Seadoos. One rock hit, and it was a fish tank

Surprised they made it this far up. Early days, folks and boat are unknown...

Norm with glasses on, with the kids...having fun

Tom Daniels with a good catch, caught in record time...

Baby sturgeon, we'll let this one go...

I believe this was another fatal, if im not mistaken, I think this is way up the Snake, not too far from the dam, I remember this one myself.

Yes, that's Riddle's Sacajawea on the rocks. The boat was sunk multiple times, and salvaged every time. They carried plywood squares, and when a hole was punched, nail it down, and somebody would stand on it for the trip home. Note that by this time, the original outdrive had been replaced with what I believe to be an early StarFire or Berzerkly pump, or it could be that the outdrive had simply been torn away. Either way, the boat made it home.
Last edited by vintagedude on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby wooldridge1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Thank you for posting these old pictures I could look at them forever.

Joe
wooldridge1
Master Baiter

Postby vintagedude » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:43 pm

KYLE CORBIN May he rest in Peace and the Good Lord keep him

My good friend Kyle Corbin passed away on January 19th '2017 in a tragic accident, Shortly before he died, Kyle and I went up the river, guests of Ray Heighes and family on his their new boat.
Kyle was instantly mesmerized by Hells Canyon, and as luck would have it, I took several pictures of him on the river trip. His parents were so shocked by the beauty of the river and the photos we took, they chose to have these pictures memorialized in his obituary. I just wanted to let anyone know, that even today, nearly 60 years later, the beauty of Hells Canyon is still fresh and alive in my memory, and
I was lucky that the good lord let me share this with my dear friend Kyle. God, I miss Kyle, and I'm actually tearing up writing this. Hopefully a reader of this post may take a loved one up there to see one of Gods greatest creations.

Godspeed Kyle..love, your old friend Bill G.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

PreviousNext

Return to History