Cache of 1960's Photos found of Hell's Canyon

Jet Boating History

Re: Cache of 1960's Photos found of Hell's Canyon

Postby vintagedude » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:15 am

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Norm always connected clients with fish...(can't help but notice the purty girl)

Plus, Norm knows where the big bucks are...

When a boat is sunk or damaged, you do what it takes to get the bottom patched up. (Riddle photo)

Runnin' the rapids in the good 'ol days...(Riddle)

Never get tired of white water...now that's living! (Riddle)

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Norm connecting clients with sturgeon...this is a rather large example here as they measure it...

Typical river campsite of the era...full amenities and comfort were always provided...(Riddle)

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Work those passengers hard pannin' fer gold, then ya feed 'em well, then put 'em ta bed...they lay in the cots, looking up at the beautiful stars that night, in the most beautiful place on earth, HELLS CANYON....(Riddle)

All comforts provided! On a cold mornin' ya warm up the seat with a propane torch, for that extra "like home" touch...(Riddle Photo)

Norm was a HONDA, Bultaco, Rupp, Suzuki and other makes motorcycle dealer in the early days. he had a cool motorcycle/saw shop in Lewiston. I used to go in there when I was a kid..my first minibike came from there, a HONDA Z50.
Big names used to hang out there like Jim Pomeroy and Evel Knievel.

Norm became one of the very first HONDA dealers in the USA, number 35 in fact. He set massive sales records...so much so, that he was on the very first ever HONDA dealer sponsored trip to Japan. Norm told me they rolled out the red carpet for the US dealers, he said it was one of the most memorable trips of his lifetime. Norm visited all the continents in his lifetime, but still said this was one of the more memorable ones....taken in 1961

SIDE NOTE 1* Honda came to the USA in 1959 as a dream. In fact they had a model called the 'Dream'. Honda's first motorcycles were produced in 1947 or so for the home market. Mr Honda himself produced piston rings for the Nakajima engine as used in the WW2 fighter airplane, the famous Mitsibishi A6M "Zero" and all of it's variants.

SIDE NOTE 2* Norm made many innovative motorcycle accessories for bikes. These items were so unique and useful, that most of the ideas and products he built and sold, were eventually incorporated into the production models by Honda. These items were helpful for the american market, and the unique ways the americans adapted to Honda.

Norm was a RUPP, Arctic Cat, and Ski-Doo dealer as well...snowmobiles in the 60's and 70's swept the nation, and at one time, there were over 100+ builders of them. Norm told me the RUPP was a fantastic machine...it opened up the countryside to recreation in the winter...

Norm was also a feared and respected Motorcycle racer himself. He had already won the Paul Bunyon by then, and also won the grueling Johnson Mill enduro in Orofino in 1969. He still has the trophy. In addition, he was an accomplished flat-tracker as well. Wife Pat worked hard to run the shop and raise 5 great kids..the boys Mike/Marty/Doug also became racers themselves. Doug told me his father would never repair the bikes when the boys broke them. He wanted them to learn on their own. Pat ran the shop so well, that she became an expert herself in the workings of business.

A fantastic photo here, it's the "Lewiston Saw and Cycle" shop in town. This is where all the fast guys hung out...

SIDE NOTE* That is a MAICO pictured there...sign in window says: "Maico's $485 and up" Maico became the creme of off-road racers in the day. Today certain models of Maico's fetch thousands of dollars, and are highly sought after...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:02 am

I almost forgot to mention Norm was an accomplished Go-Kart racer in the day. Him and my dad ran over each other one day, and that is how their friendship started. These karts were wicked little machines...alcohol-fueled, often with two engines...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:15 am

Ernie Heimgartner was a working man, who had many successful businesses. He and a partner built and started "Lancers Lanes" in Clarkston in the 1960's...
Lancer Lanes at Clarkston was hoppin’ in this photo taken April 24, 1967. Women’s leagues, men’s leagues and mixed leagues provided daytime and evening entertainment and friendly competition then as they still do today. Automatic scorekeepers were still a few years away, but handwritten scores projected above the alleys let everyone keep tabs on the competition.

Ernie's love for the river was deep however, and he became Floyd Harvey's right hand man. Besides lancers lanes, he also ran a drywall business. At one time Ernie employed 80 people. However, he escaped to the canyon when he could, and the Hell's Angel boat became legendary.

Great photo here, Ernie is yanking a sturgeon out of the water...(Heimgartner photo)

Speaking of the 'Hells Angel" boat, Ernie was driving down the road one day in Salmon Idaho, and spotted the hull in a pasture. He inquired about the boat, and learned that it had been employed on the salmon as driftboat, or similar. He looked the boat over, and figured he could salvage the hull, and re-power it with a more powerful engine and jet pump. He learned the hull had been hand-layed up in the local mill in Salmon. It was a combination of wood and fiberglass, and the bottom was 1.5" thick.
What was unique about the boat, is the lack of "Vee" on the bow. It was an early innovation...it kept a wave from "grabbing" the bow in a rapid. Ernie saw the potentail, and seized it...the boat became famous, but it was heavy, even by Ernies own admission, but it was a tough boat and reliable..the rest is history...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby Oakes1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 am

This photo caught my eye. I think it is the sister boat to mine. The only way I can tell its not mine is the steering wheel, mine was stick. When I talked to Doug Riddle about redoing my hardtop, and my opinion that the one on it was somewhat "cheesy", his response was something like this...Yes, I built 2 of those." Opps!! He told me Bruce built two 26fters alike, mine and this one. Doug put the hardtops on them. He didn't remember who owned which, but thought that onewas built for Barry Barnes, the now owner of CW. So, this boat was new in 1977.

You really shouldn't miss talking to Bruce Oakes, he really was the pioneer in boat building in the valley. To be honest I really don't know if he is still around. I know he was still liveing at Heller a few hears ago.
Attachments
DSC04102.JPG
DSC04101.JPG
Mine when I purchased it. @2002
RIDDLEHEIMGARTNERCOLLECTION195.jpg
Oakes
Oakes1
EL Capi'tan

Postby dam man » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:55 pm

It's probably been about 4 years now but I met Bruce on the Salmon River. Quite the gentleman, really enjoyed talking to him. Not sure but I had heard one of the Salmon River outfitters had talked him into building one more hull before calling it quits for good.
dam man
Boat Enthusiast

Postby vintagedude » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:53 pm

OAKES 1

Man, you are correct, the boats are identical. Good eye! Yes, you are correct, that is the Barnes Boat..at least that is what Norm told me...

But there is a lesson to be learned here..the stick. Most people I talk to tell me the stick steering is a recent innovation in the last decade. The old story I heard was that some guy hurt his arms and broke them in an accident, and they converted the boat to stick steering so he could pilot it. However, if your boat was built in '77 and it had stick steering, then that rumor is false, and the photo proves it. But, that is all I know about it, I haven't been around like you fellas have.

But, that leads me to a boat I seen a few years back...I was looking at used boats in Lewiston, and came across a fella who had a stick steering, but it was set up like an airplane...it was between the pilots legs. Position stick left, left turn, position it right, right turn...Whats more, if you pulled the stick back, it lowered the reverse bucket automatically. Push forward, it raised it. I wanted to see how he did it, but I crawled under the boat and took a look at it, and was rough. The old feller said "ya it's never been on the rocks"...well, his rocks and my rocks are totally different I guess. Hell that thing had seen nothing but rocks. I said "thanks" and left...

Another quick one...I called an ad in local paper, a 20' CW. I went to look at it...why you selling it I said? He said, ah...a bad thing happened...the grate was clogged while on the Columbia, and I went on the afterdeck/fantail to rake it out...I wasn't there 45 seconds and passed out..fell in and almost drowned, luckily my son dived in and saved me. I woke up in the hospital with a bad case of CO2 poisoning. The state of Washington and USCG investigated, and said i was overcome in 45 seconds with C02. He told me the investigation resulted in the mandatory sticker for C02 you see in all boats, and became law.

WOW I said...Is anything wrong with the boat? he said no, it was in fine shape...so I crawled underneath the hull to look at it. Gawd, I could not believe it...a 2'X3' huge dent about 4" deep was in the bottom, a serious flaw, hell it was so dam bad, the boat couldn't track right! I asked, what happened here? Oh that! he said...I hit a piling on the Columbia at full speed...no big deal he said.... Because the guy BS'd me, I couldn't get in my car fast enough...it was a 5k repair job minimum...
I thought to myself...did you really think I wouldn't have noticed that? and drove away at high speed...krist!

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 pm

vintagedude wrote:....

But there is a lesson to be learned here..the stick. Most people I talk to tell me the stick steering is a recent innovation in the last decade. The old story I heard was that some guy hurt his arms and broke them in an accident, and they converted the boat to stick steering so he could pilot it. However, if your boat was built in '77 and it had stick steering, then that rumor is false, and the photo proves it. But, that is all I know about it, I haven't been around like you fellas have.

I heard that story too. It was Bob Smith out of Riggins. In one of the books I read Bob's dad goes way back to the sweep boats that were run on the Salmon. I can't remember which lodge Bob owned but he guided for something like 40+ years on the Salmon. I looked at a couple of boats he had built.

Anyway I believe that story goes back much longer than 10 years ago. Miller was putting them in during the late 90's and it sounded like old news even then. I think it has just become more main stream in the last 10 years.

I found this website that mentioned it. http://smith-family.info/salmon-river-story/

"Bob married Jill Hart in 1965. In 1967 he was involved in a two-vehicle car accident in which he was seriously injured and his best friend Larry Ziegler was killed. Recovery was long and painful; pain was his constant companion from that time on.

Bob was naturally gifted as a draftsman designer and inventor. He built a replica of his dad’s scow at the age of five or six. He built his first powerboat at the age of 14. When he broke his arms, he rigged up a way to steer a powerboat with a stick that he and other boatmen came to prefer. Bob designed and built all his own boats. He would get a better idea, sell the old boats and build a new one."

The way it's worded I'm not sure if that accident and stick steering was at the same time. I didn't realize he is gone as well.
Lincoln
Captain

Postby vintagedude » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:37 am

Lincoln wrote:
vintagedude wrote:....

I heard that story too. It was Bob Smith out of Riggins. In one of the books I read Bob's dad goes way back to the sweep boats that were run on the Salmon. I can't remember which lodge Bob owned but he guided for something like 40+ years on the Salmon. I looked at a couple of boats he had built.

Anyway I believe that story goes back much longer than 10 years ago. Miller was putting them in during the late 90's and it sounded like old news even then. I think it has just become more main stream in the last 10 years.

I found this website that mentioned it. http://smith-family.info/salmon-river-story/

"Bob married Jill Hart in 1965. In 1967 he was involved in a two-vehicle car accident in which he was seriously injured and his best friend Larry Ziegler was killed. Recovery was long and painful; pain was his constant companion from that time on.

Bob was naturally gifted as a draftsman designer and inventor. He built a replica of his dad’s scow at the age of five or six. He built his first powerboat at the age of 14. When he broke his arms, he rigged up a way to steer a powerboat with a stick that he and other boatmen came to prefer. Bob designed and built all his own boats. He would get a better idea, sell the old boats and build a new one."

The way it's worded I'm not sure if that accident and stick steering was at the same time. I didn't realize he is gone as well.

HOLY &^%$

What a find! THANK YOU LINCOLN FOR POINTING THESE OUT...I had no idea the scope and quality of these photo's....there is literally a gold mine of history there. Now I know I will never be able to learn it all...
this Smith family were serious pioneers and daredevils.... It would take a group of archival folks years to figure it all out. I've always said a museum would be great to showcase this stuff, and I have always believed Hell's canyon and surrounding area has more history then the grand canyon in Arizona.

I sniped a couple of the more interesting photo's here for folks to see. I hope they don't mind...but if anybody wants to look at this stuff...it's a treasure trove...
unbelievable!

Here is a link to just one section of the photo's..there's 305 in this one section alone: https://plus.google.com/photos/114431897981658921755/albums/5642683625606379745/5643887206564034658?banner=pwa

This is undoubtedly a Piper Super Cub, or rather whats left of it..I rather doubt the pilot survived this one.

Looks like they are blowing up a river hazard with dynamite here:

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby Clark_NZ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:42 pm

fascinating! What an amazing account of history!
Producer of Jet Boating - The Magazine.
Webmaster - www.nzjetboating.com
Clark_NZ
Deck Swab

Postby Goingbroke » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Salmon falls....... now it is a pond cool rapid when it was there. mite see it again some day. Broke.

2010 20' HCM
Goingbroke
Captain

Postby ''dig'n it'' » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:33 pm

That steel boat, the Jane Marie, was a famous boat...here it's steel hull is vibrating upriver, this image was produced into a postcard. Hard to find, I recently nailed one on Ebay:

This boat looks Familiar
One ugly boat in the works
''dig'n it''
Forum Enthusiast

Postby vintagedude » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Norm fishes a baby rattler out of the Snake River. The snake was found swimming on its own, later released..(NR photo)

HILLER UH12-E bringing in fence poles...(NR photo)

Guests at the lodge...(NR photo)

Nice looking fish...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:00 pm

One fish catching dude, countless fish...all released...(EH photo)

Hi-n-Dri ...the fast moving water levels could leave you stranded, sometime for days on end...

Ernie, a natural-born, fresh blooded American male, had an appreciation for other things of beauty in life...naturally he preserved the moment..(i'm talking about the fish) (EH photo)

River folks never tire of looking at fish, scenery or water...preserved for all to enjoy for generations to come, we must remember all those before us to keep these waters open, and en-devour to keep it that way...... (EH photo)

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 pm

WWA get together old school...

I think this is salvaged boat re-floated...

Norms Green boat

THE GAMBLER

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 pm

I think this is the KAMIAKIN..

Good lookin' green boat of Norms...

Diver attaching ropes to 24' sunken Jet at or near Hell's canyon dam...

Trying to wrestle sunk boat up between two floaters...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:19 pm

That's an LCB boat (landing craft, bailer)

Guy gets the bass, girl gets the trout...

Always more work to do on the Lodge...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:26 pm

unloading tank...

The lodge takes shape into a full-fledge destination with all-amenities...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

PreviousNext

Return to History