Sponsor Directory

Cache of 1960's Photos found of Hell's Canyon

Jet Boating History

Re: Cache of 1960's Photos found of Hell's Canyon

Postby vintagedude » Thu May 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Music Man wrote:vintagedude:
Hello and thank you from Alaska. I arrived here in '73 so I have seen a lot of change too. I still remember the flashing yellow light by Teelands that marked the only light in Wasilla. I was filling up in the Cheveron station once when a super cub drove around the corner from the air strip to fill up.
Thank you for all the history of jet boating. It gives me a better understanding of how and why my boat was built. Mine might be overkill for the Big Sue but I enjoy the hell out of her, but she is a bitch to get off the sandbars.
Keep teaching those kids, they won't appreciate it for many years but eventually they will!
:-D

Well, thanks for the nice words. Believe it or not, I worked at Williams air service as an airplane mechanic at the airstrip when it was in "downtown" Wasilla. I worked for a guy named Bob Bauer (Bobs Bomb Shop, we smile at your wrecks) and we did alot of super cub work. Sadly Bob was killed later on. Our hangar was right behind the Chevron you speak of. Really weird too, we used AVGAS in our hot-rod cars, and used car gas in the airplanes sometimes. About 1/3 of the people running around flying in the bush didn't have pilot's licenses. They used car gas to save money. Anyway, that town has gone wild now, it has a wal-mart. We used lake Wasilla as a float plane base too. There was a gal named Sarah running around then, but she didn't have much to do with "our types" I heard she may have tried some politics later on.
But hey, If you read the story, you probably heard about the Punkie boat. We are currently in the big search for it right now. We are going to try and trace it through Idaho DMV to see if we can find the old girl. It was made out of aircraft aluminum, and did not have the malleability of modern metal, and was very tough to build. I am also currently trying to find any example of the this design built prior to 1968. We have found no similar types. As far as anyone knows, it is the first modern design ever built, it is boat #1, and I will always believe that.
I didn't tell a story about how the design came about, and you would be amazed, the lessons learned were gleaned from a near disaster on the Salmon river on a wooden boat named the Sacajawea...a guy named Chuck, and a guy named Norm, were running fuel for the forest service....10 miles from Riggins, in a rapid named suicide...disaster struck....I will tell the rest of the story later....Ive got to get a picture of the boat to back up the story, and talk to the participants of said incident for more details. Both of these men are getting older now.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby aussiewhite » Thu May 10, 2012 3:22 am

Great, that's an awesome read....!
aussiewhite
Deck Swab

Postby vintagedude » Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 am

I've had a few old timers get a hold of me. Bill Chetwood for one, he ran a boat in the canyon in the early 1960's, and there are a couple of shots of him in the pictures of this post. He say's he has some story's to tell, and I hope he writes them down. I will surely post them if I get them.
Perhaps this summer, some old-timers may meet in Lewiston. We are working on the logistics now, perhaps it may not happen, but I hope it does. As I haven't been around for 40+ years, alot of history was made since then. But I am trying to figure out all what happened, and collect as much information as I can. A nice book could be written, full of pictures, and I would like to do that sometime. If a reader happens to have any old-time pictures, please let me know. I am sure everybody would like to see them, even if it's just an old picture of a boat. This stuff is fascinating. Be sure to record your own modern history as you go up, and have experiences. Someday, it will be invaluable to others.

The wreck of the Sacajawea.....

This story was told to me by my father, and I tried to get all the details. I've been trying to get a picture of this boat for all to see. If I do, I will post it.
In any case, there may be errors, but the gist of it is there. One must remember that the designs for these modern river jet-boats did not come about by chance. They were applied from hard lessons learned through raw experience. Of course the advancement of modern materials and constructions methods applied made these craft much more safer and maneuverable. But one thing will never change, and that is the canyon's ability to wreck and drown the hapless, and I read about these hazards in meanchicken often, even today. The thrill is still there! My perspective is from an observer however, and I am by no means an expert on the subject(s) at hand. Please excuse this.

(The only thing I remember about this incident personally is, that the old man stumbled into the house, glad to be alive after it all)

The Sacajawea was a 22' wooden boat with a few layers of 'glass. It was powered by a hopped-up Chevy 327. Not sure what the pump was, but I am sure it probably was a single stage Berkely or similar.

In any case, dad said Norm really pumped up the engine to power it. Nevertheless, he said the boat would go, sure enough, but was simply under powered.
Norm had bid on a contract run fuel up the salmon to a Forest Service encampment. So, a trip was made, the maiden run. It started at Riggins, and was destined for a point quite a ways upstream from there.

So my dad and Norm launched in Riggins. The first trip was a single 55 gal. barrel of gasoline. This was lashed to the stern, with heavy ropes. The two of them, realizing the hazards involved, taped their personal information and USCG documents to the outside of their life vests. This was to insure quick identification should there be an accident.

They took off from Riggins and negotiated the rapids upstream. As far as I know, Norm was piloting at that time. But they came to a rapid called suicide. Noticing a huge rock in the middle of this rapid, they pulled off and studied it. Knowing this rock was dangerous, the biggest decision was to go either left or right of it. The two men, knowing this was serious, decided to flip a coin to see who would brave the rapid as the pilot. A coin was flipped, and Norm won the toss.......

So they entered the rapid...and Norm decided to go right of the rock. But the Sacajawea could not pull out of the velocity and vortex of the water. It pulled slightly ahead of the rock, and stuck there. Dad said he noticed a calmer water spot on either side of the rock. Full throttle, the boat would not move farther up..just then the water caught the boat. It forced the boat into the middle of the river, towards the rock. This abrupt move threw my old man to the floor of the boat. Norm managed to stay on the helm. As my old man was laying on the floor of the boat, he said he opened his eyes, and the rock came crashing though the bottom of the boat. Inches from his face, he stared at the wet rock as it rose from the river like a volcano erupting through the floor boards.

This rock opened up the bottom of the boat like a can opener. The impact of the boat was so severe, that it tore the 55 gal drum of fuel from the stern, and threw into into the dash area with such force, that it destroyed the dash area. Dad said the amazing thing was he still doesn't know how the fuel drum did not impact him. Surely it missed by an inch. Instantly the boat filled with water...and the bow up the boat stuck straight up.

Dad said the only thing that saved them at this point, was that Norm did not lose his cool. Norm managed to keep his wits, let the water take him off the rock, and immediately headed toward shore. The stern of the boat was now entering the water surface, and the bow, almost straight up, continued to move under its own power slowly, and the engine did not drown out, screaming at full throttle.

Dad said Norm, with great skill, managed to plop the bow of the boat far enough onto a beach to keep it from sinking. What happened after that is sketchy he tells me. They were so so spooked, that he says that he does not remember what happened after that. They spent the next days patching the boat up, and then making short runs downstream in spurts, beaching like a whale, to bail water. They somehow salvaged the boat back in Riggins.

I believe this may have been 1965 or 1966. As you can Imagine, the lessons learned here were dutifully applied to boat design by Norm. I cannot speak for Norm on this, but is reasonable to assume, that this wreck influenced his thinking of future designs.

I can remember quite well going to Norms boat shop in Lewiston. By then, Mike, Doug and Marty were involved in construction. It was a hub of activity. They procured aircraft grade aluminum, and used spool guns to weld, no rivets ever were used.
I still have today, 6 barrels of the aluminum containers that were used to weld with. It was made by a company called Stoody #134, and was 7/64" in diameter. The aircraft aluminum, most surely alclad, was hard to bend. This material was reputed to have the tensile strength of 1/4" steel plate.
The designs incorporated many novel features, like a redesigned deadrise, snubby bow, increased freeboard, and somewhat cab forward. Dad said they realized that torque was necessary, so they went to Big Block Chevy's and 455 Olds engines almost exclusively. The idea was to push massive amounts of water through the pump, without screaming the engine at high RPM's. Amazingly, fuel consumption improved.
These design features proved magical. Lightweight, powerful jetboats emerged from these lessons, and were incorporated into the Punkie boat. The rest is history....
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby ricgre4215 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:22 am

First of All I need to say well done Bill-

It has been a fantastic ride from our folks to have given us these awesome lifes experience. As a little girl at the lodge and the river, the memories I have are overwhelming at times. I have many times said to my Dad, people save there entire lives to be able to see in 1 to 2 weeks what I experienced. I would like to reiterate Bill's statement in saying "if" you are a "river rat" and have children and can capture this untamed wilderness, log it, take photos for genrations to see.
I remember well being stratigaclly placed in the boat for weight distribution, "don't move" Dad would say, and you didn't.Literally floating miles of this untamed river with just a life jacket. No electronic game can replace those experiences. Onto Alaska and the wonderful times there, shrimping off the pier in Homer, snowmobiling in Hatchers Pass, fishing out of the Seward Penninsula, clamming in Ninilchik, just to name a few -fantastic times for this kid.

Thank you Mom and Dad, the sacrifieces you made the lessons you taught will always be cherished.. Dad, we will see you in July to return to this place from which fantastic memories were made for one last Hoorah on the snake...

Tammy, Bills little sister
ricgre4215
Deck Swab

Postby vintagedude » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:03 am

UPDATE:

Many people have contacted me, especially the "old timers" and pioneers and have expressed great interest and are very happy that these pictures were posted. In addition, I have sought out some of these people, and the good news is, there is going to be much more material and photo's to come, and these will be posted on this site for all to see.

In analysis of the material, and to sum it up when it is studied, is that this group of individuals main accomplishment and legacy is the preservation of the river, and to effectively stop and stall the High Mountain Sheep dam. As mentioned before, this group was not primarily interested in stopping all development of hydro-power on the Snake and Hell's Canyon, but rather, knew quite well that this last dam would have ruined the last wild stretch of the river, and believed that the benefits of keeping it open and wild, far outweighed the benefits of another dam being built. The common denominator that all express is that their motives were for ALL groups of people to access the river, not just a select few.

Basically, I have learned, that they knew and understood the "whole picture" of the situation. As a side note of this, new watercraft developments took place, new industries were spawned, and many good things were learned from these experiences. It must be said, that these folks were the last of the pioneers of the area. Their daring and wherewithal, along with perseverance, paid off handsomely. From what I have learned, possibly hundreds were involved, but in the end, it all comes down to about 20-25 key players in the game.

Now many of these folks have passed on, but the good news is some are left to tell the story. Each has his own part in the history, and all believed it was the right thing to do. My research has thrust me into a situation, and now I feel I must tell the story as a whole. But, there is much more research to be done, and to gather it into the correct order. Many have said to me "Bill, now you must write the book" and I feel a responsibility to do it for history sake, but I have not committed to it. Accurate and telling books have been written of the some of the earlier years (such as "snake River of Hell's Canyon" http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snake-River-of- ... 500wt_1163 ), but the last half-century of the river has not seen much documentation. Having said that, If you have photo's or story's, please share them. This a major part of our country's history.

GOOD NEWS: This summer in July, the pioneers of this era will meet again in Hell's Canyon. It will be fascinating to see them interact, and also to remember those that are no longer with us. Photo's and story's will be written, and I will share them with you. many of these fellows are quite humble, and discount their part in saving the river. But, after reviewing the information, the evidence is irrefutable. They were legends, each in his/her own right.

Viewers here love the pictures, and more will come. But the story's are important too...and there are many. Here is one for you:

BOB EDWARDS as written by BILL CHETWOOD...................

Bob Edwards, television broadcaster at KLEW who was diagnosed with cancer, which had metastasized and his prognosis was about 6 months, asked me to take his boat and run up the Salmon (river) as the lower end of the salmon was on his bucket list. The time was early February. The temp. was about zero. The boat, a 15ft plywood hull with fiberglass veneer and a 45hp Merc. "Now a pal's last need is a thing to heed" so I said OK.

We left the mouth of the Grande Ronde on a saturday morning at daylight. The temp was 15 degrees, Man, was it cold. As we splashed upriver the ice started to build on the hull and by the time we reached China rapids on the Salmon, the load was so heavy we could not make it any further upriver so we put in, raced around to warm up, and started back down.

Bob then said to me: "Now I have been up the river, and I know the way down, can I Run the boat down?" Now we all know that going down is much more tricky then going up so I told him..."Maybe you have limited life expectancy, but I expect to go a bit longer, and I don't want to die today...NO THANKS"
Besides that, the boat was wallowing like a fat hog, and about as responsive.

When we reached the mouth of the salmon, Bob again entreated: " I know the Snake, I can run it back down from here". I was about froze, having looked out above the windshield, because it had about an inch of ice, so I relented, crouched down and let him have it. We were zipping along at Cougar bar when it happened...He cut the corner and WHANG. The skag was gone, and the prop was toast. Fortunately, he had an extra prop, and we floated ashore to change it. I drove the rest of the way, and when we loaded the boat on the trailer, it compressed the tires to nearly flat! (from ice buildup)

Another BAD DECISION that turned out OK.

The interesting post-script to this story is that Bob Edwards lived another 27 years! He moved to Boise, married a very religious woman, had two children, and ultimately died of causes entirely unrelated to cancer. Another unusual thing, the original site of his cancer, was his left testicle, which was removed at first diagnosis. A third anomaly was that before our trip up the river, Bob was about as wild a guy as one would find. But after that, he became very religious, and was an active member of the Church of the Bible and became one of their most zealous proselytizers. Go figure....

NOTE* Bill Chetwood is a retired dentist currently living in Lewiston, in the same house since 1961 with wife Peggy. He was a pal with Del Robly the adventurer who made the early films of the salmon river in the 50's and 60's. He also palled around with Duane and Don Gage, boat builders and adventurers, and traveled the world in his adventures of the outdoors. He is into his 80's, and is quite sharp and keen of mind. He is definitely one of the Canyon legends and pioneers...

Below is a shot of Bill Chetwood in a wild River foray...1963 or so...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby SteelinTime » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:08 am

Love these stories....You should give the Outdoor Idaho folks a call and see if they wouldn't mind tagging along on that July trip with the legends into HC. The interviews they would hopefully capture would make for an awesome show....I do hope you write that book....Dave
SteelinTime
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure who the Idaho outdoor folks are, perhaps you can provide me with contact data.

The logistics of this gathering are still in the works. The date is definitely set, and we will have a gathering in Clarkston prior to the trip. The Lewiston paper is interested in covering it. I did ask them what kind of archival photo's they had, they said that alot of them may have been discarded. I sure hope not, as I am going to press the issue with them, a reporter named Eric is my contact there. He said there is interest in the story.

The book issue is indeed on my mind. It looks like I may have been inadvertently roped into the situation, but it must be done factually correct, with the proper timeline. Right now, I am waiting for this book, to study up on some more facts. In any case, I may have to have help, or another co-writer.

What is amazing about this whole deal is that these old photo's have opened up a huge amount of interest and material. The one huge material cache of information out there, that just has to be immense, is the Floyd Harvey collection. If any reader knows where any of Floyd's relatives are currently located, I would appreciate that. Floyd had a number of wives I am told, but I do know he had a daughter named Jane Marie. He also had a wife named Grace.

That steel boat, the Jane Marie, was a famous boat...here it's steel hull is vibrating upriver, this image was produced into a postcard. Hard to find, I recently nailed one on Ebay:

Another legend of the Snake/salmon and Hell's Canyon is Ernie Heimgartner. This is one cool guy, and he was in the middle of all the action. Well regarded among his peers, Ernie was said to be great to work with. I talked with Ernie the other day on the phone, and I am going to visit him in June sometime. Ernie and the SUM FUN Weldcraft (Riddle Built) are still on the river...and here is a more recent photograph of it:

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 am

UPDATE:

I found out who "Outdoor Idaho" is. I have contacted them, and we will see what happens...Thanks Dave for that tip! Appreciate it...

http://idahoptv.org/outdoors/
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby boatermike » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Bill,
Your story of the Sacajawea was about what Dad has told me about it. He had sold the boat to Shorty Lydia, who had gotten a contract from the Forest Service. Our fathers were delivering the boat to a ranch on the Salmon for Shorty to run from. After they hit the rock and had beached the boat, they completly stripped the boat down to just the motor to make it as light as possible and to fill the 6' hole in the bottom of the boat. They pushed the boat back in the water and headed back down river with your Dad standing on the patched up hole. When they got to the landing they completly beached the boat. They borrowed a jeep at the landing that someone had left the keys in, drove to Riggins and called my Mom. I went with her to get the boat and I remember seeing the boat completly out of the water on the beach when we arrived. When Dad called Mom his first words were, did Shorty's insurance go through? Dad is 83 and his eyes are going, but his memory is still sharp and loves to tell stories. I tried to show him the pictures on my computer but he can't see them good enough. He got a mini recorder to put the stories on but we keep forgeting to turn it on!
Thanks again for your stories,
Mike Riddle
boatermike
Deck Swab

Postby gravitysucks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:16 am

Keep after it guys, this history will be lost forever if someone doesn't save it. The first-hand accounts of river history are priceless!!
gravitysucks
Deck Swab

Postby vintagedude » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 am

GOOD NEWS.......

Went over this weekend to Lewiston, (June 16th 17th 2012) and was able to interview Norm Riddle and Ernie Heimgartner. Both of these gentleman were most gracious to be able to share their time and collections with me.

Of the material I picked, there is an amazing 480+ images and videos. On top of all that, Ernie Heimgartner had a tape of approx. 20 mins time of Arthur Godfrey speaking on a radio show of Hell's Canyon, and his version of paradise. Norm has so many story's it is mind boggling.

These honorable gentleman agreed to let these photos go into the public domain for all to see into eternity, so viewers and historians can appreciate these but, these photos should not be used for commercial purposes out of respect for these men.

However, let me tell you, in no uncertain terms, that the story's they have told me, are so intriguing, and so good, the whole story could be made into a feature length movie. It contains all the elements of a block-buster movie; adventure, love story's, politics, danger, action, intrigue, villains, tragedy, and triumph of good over evil. That night, after reviewing the material, I could not stop thinking about it, it could be written into a movie, and what is so good about it, it is a true story. Both of these guys were happy to share the story's and photo's, and glad they are being told. The problem I am having is that there is so much material to digest and interpret.

But get this, I am starting to understand how the river was saved, and how deep it really went, and it is shocking. These guys, (and others) really saved the Snake River for all of us today, but they remain humble and will not say that directly. But the evidence I have uncovered is astonishing really. I am especially proud of my father, Chuck Grubin as well, as for without what he has taught me, this would all not be possible.

So, what I am going to do here for now is show a few tidbits from the collection.......remember that meanchicken does not show the whole image. To view it best on your computer, widen your screen, or adjust your resolution. Also you can view the photo's directly at my photo host:

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac291/vintagedude/

It is going to take some time to post alot of this material, so check back from time to time and check it out, as new photo's get posted. In the meantime, please post any comments you have, and also if you have details or corrections to story's let us know. Some of the family's such as Mike Riddle and others have already corrected posts. I have also been contacted by other folks of the era that have material as well. I will contact you as soon as I am able. Be sure to let me know what you have. Thanks to all who have commented on these posts. I am delighted you enjoy it. The public has alot to be proud of, especially canyon people and LC valley folks, and those in the boating industry...

So lets get started....

Here is Ernie Heimgartner today. An amazing guy, if you ever get a chance to meet him, do so. Another Canyon legend no doubt...

Here is the "Old Man of the River" Norm Riddle himself...some years back.. a dapper fellow...tougher then nails...

ERNIE kept extensive logs and documents...here is a cover shot of one of his logs...it is worn from thousands of hours in a boat...I am shaking as I open it up...

ERNIE caught hundreds of sturgeon, he has so many pictures of them, I could not get them all...but here is a typical shot of the legendary HELLS ANGEL with a sturgeon on bank...1960's...

ERNIE had a discerning eye on him.....sometimes the boat had a special crew........

ERNIES ANGELS

Any normal boat captain can appreciate beautiful things on the river....

NORM RIDDLE's early boat the Sacajawea...Floyd Harvey borrowed it one day, and put the thing on the rocks. It had an early Starfire jet pump, very rudimentary.
The controls were reversed, no morse cables in those days, Floyd got screwed up on it, and ran it backwards. There is a story on this incident, in Norm's words, I will correct it later...

I mentioned in some earlier posts, that old wrecks could be seen along the river...I wasn't kidding. I remember these myself...Norm Riddle captured this derelict in the canyon...

More to come...
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:27 am

Make no mistake, Norm Riddle was one daring pilot. His river daring and boat building skills are legendary. There are other builders out there, and all build a great boat, but this is the guy who invented the modern welded, aluminum jet boat. Here is is a shot of an early test run...:

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:10 pm

THANKS DUSTIN..But it wasnt me, Im just the messenger, but it is good huh?

I know you and your buddy's are having fun...enjoy your summer!

Remember that Meanchicken does not show the whole photo(s). It chops off about 20-25% of the right hand side of the image. For example, there are 4 girls on top of the boat in the above photos...

to see the whole photo(s) go to: http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac291/vintagedude/ then, simply click on the image to blow it up..
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:31 pm

An early Riddle hull under construction....

The Sacajawea in the early years. This is the same boat that was "holed" on the Salmon river. Very interesting story on this boat Norm told me, I will post later...notice rudimentary Starfire pump. Norm is the one pumping fuel, he could not remember guests in the boat. Norm is almost 85 years old...

Boat on the rocks....(NOTE* location unknown. As bad as it looks, the boat was caught in a water drop, via the dam. Norm said he had to camp out 2 days until the water came back up...)

This is the first ever USCG awarded license to a commercial person/entity for passengers ever awarded to anybody in Hell's canyon for recreational purposes. The Holder of the License was Norm Riddle...

Typical early camp setup for passengers on an canyon adventure. Norm made sure nobody ever slept on the ground..he was proud of that...

Last edited by vintagedude on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm

OOPS...this one is underwater, I have more pictures of this "incident" I will post later...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 am

DUSTIN, not sure location...

Here is a photo of Ernie Heimgartner (RH side) on Hell's Angel. The guy in the middle is unknown, but the gent on the far left is FLOYD HARVEY. Floyd is now deceased, but is probably and most certainly responsible, and the driving force behind bringing in the people to help stop the dam. (Heimgartner photo)

This is one of the more fascinating and important pictures of the river...from L to R: FLOYD HARVEY...ARTHUR GODFREY....BURL IVES....WALTER HICKEL.....

Last edited by vintagedude on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 am

There is no particular order of these photos...I will go between Norm, my dad, Ernie, and Chetwood and others photos. Im trying not to post all the good ones first, just mix them up some, so people come back and stay interested. I still have some story's and accounts to publish, it just takes time...

Ernie took alot of shots of the girls...he had a good eye...

During my visit to Norm's house, I tried not to stay long and tire him out. As I was talking to him, he said to me "Bill, who want's to see these, who is interested? I said well Norm, they call you the "Old Man of the River" He said well, he wasn't sure about that, but went on to say he had great respect for Dick Rivers the Idaho Queen pilot who plied the waters for decades. I went on to explain to him, that people are extremely interested in your story's and life, and they just want to know more...He said Dick Rivers to him was his mentor in the beginning, but he also went on to say that Dick never dared the rapids in smaller craft like he did. A humble man, he takes no credit for the term. But, to his constituents, he surely is the "Old Man"...I did see the sparkle in his eye return however, and his interest pique. He did have a large amount of material, but he said that most was lost in a flood in his basement years ago.

Here is Norm with an old pal who bagged a fine chukar...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:40 am

This Guy got into a little trouble here...He has a life jacket on...(Norm Riddle photo)

Having fun on the river...(Riddle photo)

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:56 am

Great shot here, its a Sturgeon breaking the surface on the way up...(Heimgartner photo)

Here is another series of shots of the sunken boat Norm and crew helped salvage. He told me they brought up many boats. I have more pictures of boat incidents to post later.......

Another sunk boat awaiting salvage.....

KIRBY CREEK LODGE

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:03 am

Girls just want to have fun....(Heimgartner photo)

Ernie is the Master of the catch. He has so many photo's of sturgeon it boggles the mind...He told me one weekend they caught and released 27 sturgeon, and nobody would take the pole anymore...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

PreviousNext

Return to History