Sponsor Directory

Cache of 1960's Photos found of Hell's Canyon

Jet Boating History

Cache of 1960's Photos found of Hell's Canyon

Postby vintagedude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 am

Hello everybody...

Forward and Notes*

1. Please note there are 12+ (and growing) or more pages of stories and photos here on this thread. At the bottom right of each page, simply click on the next page to continue...

2. Do you have old photos and pictures related to this topic of the Hells Canyon and related areas? Feel free to post them with your story as a reply to this post, preferably on the last page, so that the thread builds in size. Conversely, post a reply if you have material relating to a photo or similar at or near the existing post. Please post 1970s and earlier, but 80s photos of interested are welcome too. The idea here is to keep this thread vintage.

3. If you have a photo, and not sure how to post it, there are several ways to do that. Typically, simply taking a "digital photo of a an old paper photo" works well. If you have a few very good photos digitally, you can Email those to me and ill post for you. However, If you have a huge amount of material, or 35mm slides, it may be best to purchase a photo/slide digitizer for home use. You can get these cheap on Ebay, Amazon or similar source. If you want to avoid that, you can have your material digitized by a commercial outfit, but this may prove expensive. I personally own a ION PICS 2.5D photo and slide digitizer. If you have some really good material, and want to trust me with your photos, I can digitize them for you, these will be transferred to an SD card, and you will get your original photos back along with the same set digitized. However you must supply all shipping, and purchase SD/thumb drive cards as necessary and/or a thumb drive. To be fair, i'm not interested in the digitizing fluffy the beloved house cat, but rather your archival photos, directly related to vintage Hells Canyon and the early days of this area. You can contact me at vintagepartsgroup at hotmail dot com. (all one word) thank you!

Once your vintage photo is digitized, it must now be uploaded to an outside host, such as Photobucket, or similar that gives it an HTML link that can be posted here on Meanchicken. Pick your photo host with care, remember it is long term. These outside hosts charge for their services. Do not rely solely on a host for all your photos, because if you don't pay the bill, or they go out of business, the material is usually lost. If you have a smokin' hot image, I can host a limited number of images for you. But its always best you host your own photos. The idea here is to keep building the data base for the common viewer, and these old photos are actually part of history, and once on the web, this material will most likely be spread into the public domain for educational and other purposes for possibly centuries to come, even if this very website does not exist in the future. THANK YOU

SO LET'S GET STARTED and HAVE SOME FUN..........

Recently, a huge cache of 35mm slides have been recovered, and are in the process of being digitized. These pictures are all of Hell's canyon in the 50's-60's and 70s, and all are early Jet Boat or related. Some of the early pioneers, guides and dignitaries, and notables such as Riddle, Held, Grubin, Daniels, Mraz, Oaks, Blakely, Paul Harvey, Dick Rivers, Ernie Heimgartner,Chetwood, Clair Parr, Burl Ives, and many many others are shown. Those of you who know and love this river will surely be interested in them, and I will post them as I get them prepared. I grew up on the river as a young lad, and I am proud to show the river, and share the memories of this great area to the enthusiasts. It needs to be said, alot of these fellows have long since passed on, and those that remain are (with all due respect) are getting old now. It is my wish to pass on these photo's and history to others who may appreciate the unbelievable history and legacy of Hell's Canyon. So over the next weeks, months and years I will post these pictures a few at a time, and anyone who recognizes or wants to comment on the photo's please do. You, the modern Jet Boater will only be enriched by the knowledge that each time you go up that river, you are part of an amazing history, known to very few, and you can pass this on to your family and friends.

Thanks, BILL GRUBIN

We will start off with this photo...it's just a mountain right? Look closely, there is a Beechcraft Model 18 USPS mailplane crashed at the top-center. The old story was he refueled in a nearby city, the fuel attendant failed to properly secure the gas caps, and during flight, all of his fuel was siphoned out by the slipstream, thus the old boy ran out of fuel and crashed, fatally.
This airplane disappeared in 1967 or 1968 in December as I recall. My dad and everybody looked for it for weeks, but turned out to be in plain site, and was discovered in the spring. I am sure there are still parts of it up there on that mountain, however the major parts were removed through herculanean efforts using long cables. Of course there are those that that know this mountain top, it is visible from a boat on the river... Please share it's location if you know where it is....
It actually had a christmas card on it addressed to our family, and was water stained.

Here is a legend of the Snake River... Norm Riddle with wife Pat

Below Is Tom Daniels with Daughter (Debbie?) in a Riddle boat. Stay tuned, it gets better and better as I post these old photos!

Last edited by vintagedude on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:20 am, edited 9 times in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Re: Cache of 1960's Photos found of Hell's Canyon

Postby Spud » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 am

This is fantastic! Thanks for posting these :Drink: :Drink: :Drink:
22' TJ Hardtop;Center stick snub nose;8.1HO;H212;T8
Spud
First Mate

Postby Lincoln » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks! I get a kick out of old stuff. :-D
Lincoln
Captain

Postby PLUM CRAZY » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 am

vintagedude wrote:Hello everybody...

Recently, a huge cache of 35mm slides have been recovered, and are in the process of being digitized. These pictures are all of Hell's canyon in the 50's and 60's, and all are early Jet Boat related. They were all taken by my father, Chuck Grubin. Some of the early pioneers, guides and dignitaries, and notables such as Riddle, Held, Grubin, Daniels, Mraz, Blakely, Harvey, Rivers, Chetwood,Parr, and many others are shown. Those of you who know and love this river will surely be interested in them, and I will post them as I get them prepared. I grew up on the river as a young lad, and I am proud to show the river, and share the memories of this great area to the enthusiasts. It needs to be said, alot of these fellows have long since passed on, and those that remain are (with all due respect) are getting old now. It is my wish to pass on these photo's and history to others who may appreciate the unbelievable history and legacy of Hell's Canyon. So over the next weeks and months I will post these pictures a few at a time, and anyone who recognizes or wants to comment on the photo's please do. You, the modern Jet Boater will only be enriched by the knowledge that each time you go up that river, you are part of an amazing history, known to very few, and you can pass this on to your family and friends. Thanks, BILL GRUBIN

We will start off with this photo...it's just a mountain right? Look closely, there is a Beechcraft Model 18 USPS mailplane crashed at the top.
This airplane disappeared in 1967 or 1968 in December as I recall. My dad and everybody looked for it for weeks, but turned out to be in plain site, and was discovered in the spring. I am sure there are still parts of it up there on that mountain. Of course there are those that that know this mountain top, it is visble from a boat on the river... Please share it's location if you know where it is....
It actually had a christmas letter on it addressed to our family, and was water stained.

Here is a legend of the Snake River... Norm Riddle with wife Pat I think....

Below Is Tom Daniels with Daughter in a Riddle boat. Stay tuned, it gets better and better as I post these old photos!

The pics don't show up on my computer, would love to see them, do I need to do something to see them?
PLUM CRAZY
Deck Swab

Postby vintagedude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello...Not sure why you cannot see the photos, they are linked to photobucket. If there is an Onsite host for photos, someone can tell me about it.

Here is a typical Snake river group of folks. Anybody recognize any of the people?

Here is Tom Daniels, (myself Bill Grubin) and my mother Delorus who is now deceased...somewhere on the Snake...Tom Daniels was well known in Lewiston...he raced a '41 Studebaker coupe gasser at the now closed Deer Park raceway. Tom is still in the NW area. His wife's name was Julene.

This is Dave Silva, treasurer for the state of Idaho at the time with a sturgeon. He later moved to Alaska where he was instrumental in setting of the Native Land claims corporations, whereabouts today, unknown. By the way, that is the "Punkie" boat, named after my mother. That is one of the earliest Weldcraft/Norm Riddle boats ever built. They were way ahead of their time...all aluminum, with the familiar, timeless design. I still believe the Riddle design was the first modern jet boat ever built. Ernie Duckworth, Bentz, Oaks (among others) all built boats too. The question is, where is the "Punkie" boat now, 45 years later?

There were a few boatbulders in Lewiston at the time, Bentz, Oaks, Duckworth in Oregon, and many others. All built great, strong, legendary boats. They had to, as the Snake and Salmon demanded the best in craftsmanship and design. Your modern Jetboat shares in these early designs, born right here in Hells Canyon, but I am no expert. There are no pictures in here later then 1980.

Last edited by vintagedude on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Some photos are poor, but there will be some good ones to come. Sturgeon, sturgeon, sturgeon, when does it end? In those days, you could keep 'em.

Irish tourists below....(note* notice the rear wings and front splash guard on this boat)

FISH ON

Another Punkie boat catch...

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby Spud » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Trying to get some context for when these were taken. Brownlee dam was put in about 1959, Oxbow in 61 and Hells Canyon Dam about 67. It appears from the bank that there is some dam control on water level. Would the timeframe be after Oxbow but before Hells Canyon Dam? I'm impressed Riddle was using a double break side even in the early days! Great shots, thanks again for sharing.
22' TJ Hardtop;Center stick snub nose;8.1HO;H212;T8
Spud
First Mate

Postby Damworker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

These are great photos, reminds me of when I was a young kid. Keep on sharing these as it is great to look back on history. I especially like that old beer can. I am sure it was tin and you don't see those anymore. It is amazing to look at the outboards and know they went up the canyon.

Tom
21' storm, 212 1/4 bottom wife liked darkred boat and said buy it. Just following the right orders.
><(((((((('> Fish on.
Damworker
Captain

Postby Lincoln » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 pm

PLUM CRAZY wrote:The pics don't show up on my computer, would love to see them, do I need to do something to see them?

If you are using that POS Explorer you can try adding photobucket to the compatibility view settings. In IE Version 8 it's "Tools" then "Compatibility View Settings".
add what's inside these quotes but without the quotation marks "http://*.photobucket.com".

If that doesn't work PM me what browser and version you are using, I may be able to find an answer quickly. Or if you ask nicely maybe he will post the link to his album so you can view them directly on photobucket.
Lincoln
Captain

Postby Jaker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Love this! Thanks so much for taking the time to post these up for us to view. :Drink: AMAZING History!
20' HCM 6.0L 212
Jaker
Forum Enthusiast

Postby vintagedude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Some good ones coming up.....

Thanks for all the kind words, I am glad you are enjoying them...My dad is in his 80's now...I will tell him you like them. Perhaps I can get him to pop in here on this forum and say a thing or two...

This is Floyd Harvey's infamous all steel, 327 powered JANE MARIE named after his daughter. The boat's steel construction was reputed to cavitate and vibrate you right out of your seat. In case you didn't know it, Floyd Harvey was instrumental in saving the river as you know it today, fighting with the government to stop the last dam, thus saving the last stretch of river for all of us to enjoy. But it wasn't just Floyd...It was many others, like Burl Ives, Riddle, and many others too numerous to mention here. I have some pictures I will post later of the film crew filming for "Huntley Brinkley" news hour when the movement went national news. This was a big deal around there then. If you see an old timer, be sure to thank them...you have no idea how hard they worked to save the river for you, the boating enthusiast and citizen of the United States. Don't forget it, and pass it on to your kids.

NOTE* for some reason, the host server of mean chicken is "chopping off" about 15-20% of the right hand portion of all pictures. It s too bad...theres alot to see.

Ok below is a sight no one wants to see. This is what happens when a fiberglass boats meets rocks. I am not sure of all the facts, but this could be the "Brounel" boat. I do believe it was a fatal. This in 1969 I think, and I remember as a kid looking at this boat, shocked. As I recall, this boat made it quite a ways up the river...at or near kirby creek.

Alcohol always seemed to be a factor in these wrecks. Guys would hammer a few at the "Jolly Rodger" floating bar in Lewiston, then get brave and run the rapids. Alcohol and boating means that eventually you will get to "meet god", hopefully you will not take innocents with you.

Christened the "THE VIRGIN STURGEON".... This I believe is an early Riddle boat. Guy's name was Dr. Geary. Doc Geary was a well known veterinarian in Lewiston, and had a practice in the Orchards area. Last I looked, his building was still there. The boat below is a 427 big block, 440 HP, 211 Bezerkly, and reputed to top out at 54mph. Please, no Chevy/Ford/Dodge arguments here. But remember that these boats were light and not loaded down with accessories like todays boats.

Boat's name was the "VIRGIN STURGEON"

Last edited by vintagedude on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby Lincoln » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 pm

Would you mind posting the link to your photobucket account so we could see the full pictures?

If you don't want to do that I would welcome setting you up an account on my personal site so you could upload them there. I believe Mean Chicken still limits the size of attachments and I would like to see the larger versions you have been posting.

Thanks,
Lincoln
Lincoln
Captain

Postby coolaintcheap » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Great pics! Makes you think that at some point the tubs we are drivin' up the river now will take on the same old fashioned look
08' hudson 24' 8.1 212. lexan top
coolaintcheap
Forum Enthusiast

Postby vintagedude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 pm

The early boaters in Hell's Canyon had big Cajones. The river claimed many folks, like the disastrous boat accident by "Lucky" on the Salmon.
In the 60's you could still see Keels and other debris awash on sandbars, from the old steam boats. As a kid, it was heaven for me on this river. I lived a man's lifetime by the age of 10. Full of mystery, and so much to learn, a guy could spend a lifetime in the canyon just exploring. There are many books out there to read.

A recent book I just finished is: [b]MASSACRED FOR GOLD by R. Gregory Nokes.
I recommend this to any river rat, as it was published in 2009, and contains some of the best up-to date information on the Chinese Massacre.

You can buy it right now on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Massacred-for-Gold-The-Chinese-in-Hells-Canyon-/360440125275?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item53ebe7d75b#ht_500wt_859

Ok, here is Bill Chetwood running the Salmon in 1963.....

NOTE* Bill Chetwood was a well known dentist in Lewiston. I have heard he is retired now from his practice, but is still highly regarded among his peers. Last report I had was he is still living in Lewiston and going strong...[/b]

Last edited by vintagedude on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby heyjpark » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Fantastic! Good observation Spud, there does appear to be some water control.
Boatless
heyjpark
First Mate

Postby vintagedude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Ok, rolling right along here...

As you all know, the Dworshak dam stopped the log drive in the Clearwater. I think that that dam was built in 1969? or so. Anyway they used Jet boats to tend logs during the log drive. They had huge floating camps, and were self contained. They used jet boats to work the logs. I believe this is the "Mariposa". Yes, the negative is reversed. They would dock along the river in Lewiston, near the boat ramp across from the Marina, before the dikes were built.

In the old days, people still dressed up to go up the river. Here is a shot of some young folks, and to the far right, is my father, Chuck Grubin who took most, if not all of these pictures. I believe this to have been taken at Willow Creek.

This is the "Narwhale" in Rush creek.....

And a shot along the salmon river. Perhaps a viewer recognizes this location?

vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:01 pm

A shot of the Willow Creek lodge, before it burned. Alot of controversy here. Never solved as far as I know, and conspiracy theory's abound. I do remember the camp though, and it was an awesome setup. Someday, I would like to go back and see it, or at least, whats left of it. Rumour has it the government came in and snatched up all this land

Another shot of Doc Geary's Hot rod 427....(note three boats underway here)

'Narwhale" in Rush creek...

Does anybody ever get tired of looking at Sturgeon? Think not. Note* My sister Melanie and Tammy are in the boat looking on......fisherman unknown. Also notice the words: "WELDCRAFT" on rear of boat. This in approx '1969

Last edited by vintagedude on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby Moab21 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I really appreciate you posting these photos.

Thanks, Matt.
"if you have any poo fling it now!" Madagascar
Moab21
First Mate

Postby vintagedude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 pm

dustin wrote:wow, really neat photos and stories. keep them coming bill.

DISCLAIMER: I am only working from memory here, and not all the "storys" and photos may not be correctly captioned or told. If anyone spots an error please point it out. There are approx. 500+ photos in this collection. I cannot post them all. I am working on preserving these for my own family, and other people to see. I am very fortunate to have my father loan me these. Having said that, take care to document your own history. I don't have permission from other people who may object to, or having their photo(s) shown here. I have been away from the area for 40+ years. Alot has happened since then, and alot of history is unknown to me. We moved to Alaska in 1970, and another of life's great adventures started there, and that is another story.

There are, or must be other huge collections of photos out there. This is a small, but important window into the history of the area. I am amazed there is no museum in Lewiston, where this archival material could be preserved and shown, you know, similar to the one at Hell's gate state park. In addition, I always felt that there needs to be at least a memorial down by the river, to remember those lost, and to those who made history there. There is more history packed into Hell's canyon then almost anywhere in the USA. Perhaps someday that will happen. I
Last edited by vintagedude on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Postby vintagedude » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:45 am

So far as the pictures you asked about, I have a box someplace where I stored a few groups of pictures – I know it’s in the garage – I’ll find it and send it along. I wrote a short story about Tom (Daniels) and my trip down the Salmon – it’s in my picture album. Tell you the truth, I felt so bad about that trip with tom that I didn’t want any remembrances of it. I put Tom and I in an awful position. With all the pictures he took on the salmon, he had to get out on the South side of the river – and if anything happened to me – and I was expecting it, he would have been in a real bind. He didn’t have any camping gear – and if we screwed up and picked the wrong course, and I wound up on the wrong side of the river, anyone you get the idea. When we finally made it to the slide, (few miles above the mouth of the salmon and Snake, he got out on the South side – and we sat down and looked at what we could see of the river, he had a few tears in his eyes and I had some bad feelings. The salmon, during the summer normally runs 22, to 25 thousand cubit feet per second. There had been a severe summer storm in Wyoming, which we didn’t know about – and when we made the run, it was running 80 to 85 tcfps. Tom thought he had seen the last of me – and once I’d committed, there was no way he could tell if I survived the couple final jumps. I had a heck of a time, trying to find a place where, I could pull over, and look back and up – and luckily – Tom saw me. I couldn’t tell him where he might make it down to the water, so I could pick him up – I waited awhile, and I lost sight of him, and as good fortune would have it, he came down a chute between some huge rocks and I was able to hold the boat against the current and rocks and the last ten feet, he just feel into the boat. Had I not been there, he could have been in the river. What we knew when we started the ill thought trip was, there was no turning back, and once we were over the first nasty rapid, we couldn’t go back. Tom is and was one of the finest people I know. I could have killed us both and put him in a terrible position. I told you that last summer, he came to Alaska and we got to spend quite a bit of time together. He’s still rebuilding cars for DeAtley. He’s restored, from the group up over 80 of them, and worked on a number of airplanes of DeAtley’s. I got the opportunity to apologize – and asked him, what in the world he let me do that – and he said, well Chuck, I thought you could make it. I don’t need to tell you that given enough horsepower, any fool can run a boat up river, down is quite another issue. When Tom and I ran the Snake from Lewiston to just below the damn in the little 14’, “Narwhale”, we got caught in a rapid a short way below the dam and we must have been in it for 10 minutes. We couldn’t go forward and behind was a roller that was a least 10 foot high – course you can’t hear anything, and finaly, tom climbed up on the V of the deck prow and gave us enough push, we could make it thru. That article was in the Lewiston Paper – I have it and I’ll make a copy and send it along. I had a 50HP Chrysler, on the Narwhale. Anyway, I’ll dig around and find the other slides and make copies of stuff in my scrap book and send them along – you might get a kick out of. I promise not to take months to find them. The 16’ Valco boat, I ran for a long time with an old 18 hp Evinrude that Clair gave me. I finaly got enough bucks and bought a new 20 HP Mercury.
Last edited by vintagedude on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
vintagedude
Buoy Boy

Next

Return to History