Sponsor Directory

Oh Shit!!

Jet Boating History

Oh Shit!!

Postby Draggin up » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:33 pm

An interesting fact about Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship.
It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles - you can imagine what could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction Stow high in transit them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.
12' Coleman canoe w/twin paddles
Draggin up
Beer Boy

Re: Oh Shit!!

Postby smitty » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Good history lesson :Drink:
student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Postby Smoke » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Exactly how I make my living! Anaerobic digesters. We take manure from dairies and continue the digestion which makes methane then cleans the hydrogen sulfide out of it and use it for fuel in generators and sell the power to Idaho Power. Here's a pic of one of the engines. 750 kw Guascor generator.
Attachments
IMG_20170414_210123.jpg
Smoke
Beer Boy

Postby viking » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:20 pm

See *hit etymology for more likely origin.
viking
Captain

Postby smitty » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:43 am

student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Postby mikemmm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 am

Google the origin of shit and you will find it is a myth that it comes from ship high in transit. Sorry to burst bubble. Good story tho
mikemmm
Buoy Boy

Return to History