Sponsor Directory

Rocky Mountain House boating

Rocky Mountain House boating

Postby Craig and Shauna Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 am

Hi all, I'm new to this site and relatively new to jet boating (70 hrs of run time mostly on the Clearwater out of McMurray) me and the wife are planning on spending some time at Rocky running the North Saskatchewan up and downstream. We would like to run the Clearwater as well while we are there. We are staying at Rustic River campground and starting from there. Is there anything we need to know about the area? We have run the river between Drayton and the Brazeau so we know that section, can we expect the same upstream from Rocky? Also we plan on camping at the Brazeau reservoir and running the upper brazeau river. Thanks in advance for any info
Craig and Shauna Fox
Deck Swab

Re: Rocky Mountain House boating

Postby Toddco » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:54 am

The North. Sask is a relatively easy river to navigate. Once you are up past where hwy 40 crosses it becomes quite braided and silty-be very careful in there to avoid being beached. The Brazeau is a small river, navigable though if you can read water decently. A lot of boaters have been hung up in it by taking wrong channels. If you get up past hwy 40 on it be prepared for some bigger water- class 4 rapids, big rocks etc. beautiful in the canyon though!
I fit in nicely when i am completely alone!
Toddco
Novice Baiter

Postby Craig and Shauna Fox » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Sounds like you've had some time in them areas, Im going to take your advise and not go to far up on either river just because it will be just the wife and I. We do have a portable winch in case we get into trouble but I rather not have to use it. I appreciate your info, thank you for your time. Oh one question, have you been up the Ram river. On a satellite view it looks like it could be a bit rocky and technical?
Craig and Shauna Fox
Deck Swab

Postby Toddco » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:55 am

unless you have a small boat stay out of there!
I fit in nicely when i am completely alone!
Toddco
Novice Baiter

Return to Alberta