Sponsor Directory

is there a fraser river boat launch in Hope BC

is there a fraser river boat launch in Hope BC

Postby oilersfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:48 pm

i was wondering if there is a decent boat launch in hope for the fraser river. i want to run up to hells gate and do some sturgeon fishing along way.
Last edited by oilersfan on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
oilersfan
Deck Swab

Re: is there a fraser river boat launch in Hope BC

Postby GordJ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 am

Tough to get an answer with that handle. But I’m a fairly nice guy so I’ll answer.

Yes
20' Customweld
6 liter VVT
Hami 212
GordJ
Novice Baiter

Postby oilersfan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am

lol. thanks. do u have a street name or some directions. google maps picture mayb.
oilersfan
Deck Swab

Postby steelheadfreak » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:24 am

Its a pretty rough launch. Its garbage actually but as the water level increases, it will get better. Be carful up in the canyon. Not a great place for newbies. Big rapids and can opening rocks.
steelheadfreak
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Dawb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:51 pm

its at the end of Rupert st. if u google map it. obviously at the end with the river haha

never launched it, still too nervous of wandering up that way. what boat do you have?

I watched a guy land a 5 footer from shore there probably 10-12 years ago before i started fishing them myself
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby oilersfan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:27 pm

thanks for the info. ive done that run with STS Guiding about 5 years ago but the boat was in the water when we arrived there and we left before he put it back on the trailer. im not really a newbie, ive had a jetboat for the last 20 years or so, right now i have a 20 ft north river with a 350 in it. i agree its big fast water but i didnt see anything that wasnt to extreme. i think id stop at hells gate tho. ive been going to mission couple times a year for the last 5-6 years, great fishing but very flat and calm water there. was looking at trying it mid october.
oilersfan
Deck Swab

Postby Great White » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 pm

There's a big difference between being a passenger on a 28' twin with a pilot driving the boat who has 100's of trips vs driving a 20'er for the first time. You need to know where the "live' spots are which change with the water levels.

I wish you safe and successful journeys.
21' Custom Weld WWS...LS3/212.
Great White
First Mate

Postby Dawb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Great White wrote:There's a big difference between being a passenger on a 28' twin with a pilot driving the boat who has 100's of trips vs driving a 20'er for the first time. You need to know where the "live' spots are which change with the water levels.

Ive never gone, but agree totally. Always wanted to do a run with a few boats (maybe not all the way), but up into the canyon. Only problem is no one wants to be the leader or be the organizer cause no one wants to be responsible or liable.

I swear a few years back STS had a lead and follow trip, but im not sure. That would have been sweet to do. Maybe I misunderstood or something, but im sure the liabity insurance for them on that would have been RIDICULOUS lol

anyways. One day Id like to head up the canyon a wee bit
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby Great White » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 pm

Dawb wrote:
Great White wrote:There's a big difference between being a passenger on a 28' twin with a pilot driving the boat who has 100's of trips vs driving a 20'er for the first time. You need to know where the "live' spots are which change with the water levels.

Ive never gone, but agree totally. Always wanted to do a run with a few boats (maybe not all the way), but up into the canyon. Only problem is no one wants to be the leader or be the organizer cause no one wants to be responsible or liable.

I swear a few years back STS had a lead and follow trip, but im not sure. That would have been sweet to do. Maybe I misunderstood or something, but im sure the liabity insurance for them on that would have been RIDICULOUS lol

The canyon is an awesome place. After running the canyon for 8 years, I sold my twin, shut down my tour business and haven't been back since. I won't ever go past Lady Franklin Rapid again. The reason....it will only be a matter of time before something could happen. Last August, my LS3 popped the serpentine belt while cruising on nice flat water under the Alex Fraser Bridge. If the belt would have let go in any one of a dozen spots in the canyon I might not be here to share my experience. The belt let go 2 weeks later on the Harrison as well.....just 2 reminders why I'll never go back to canyon....with anyone.
21' Custom Weld WWS...LS3/212.
Great White
First Mate

Postby GordJ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:33 pm

Dawb wrote:

Did you ever hear of anyone actually going on the “lead and follow” trip? I was supposed to but somehow it never happened and I always wondered if anyone got to do it. This was supposed to bo part of the jet boat seminar they put on.
I was on a group trip put on by one of the dealers about 15 years ago and two boats came back from Saddle Rock with a separated shoulder, engine hatches open and a third boat sunk. If the OP goes up there he should be sure to have a line and float tied to the boat to make recovery easier.
20' Customweld
6 liter VVT
Hami 212
GordJ
Novice Baiter

Postby Dawb » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:11 am

I know this is getting off topic, but its probably a discussion that anyone in the lower mainland that wants to head up the fraser, should be a part of.

No, I never heard of anyone going on the lead and follow trip. to be honest, it was a few years before i got my boat and i didnt know anyone with a jet. I even emailed sts tho recently after and they seemed to think i was crazy to want to head up river in my own (unobtained) boat while following and also cautioned against going up while not knowing the river.

And yes. Im aware boats break down (Ford 460 here). And being in any current during a break down would SUCK. let alone heading up canyon and having a shutdown. thats been a huge deterent for me and i hope anyone else thinks about what could happen in a full shutdown.

I had a starter go on the fraser. But i was on a beach, and had a kicker to run back down river in calm water.

That being said. I would still like to run up past Hope hahaha you know,

wearing a lifejacket lol
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby oilersfan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:05 am

i totally understand what u guys are saying and thanks for the concern. i get it for sure i dont know if u have ever done that run before but when i went with STS the driver was toally just doin stuff for the tourists, me included. he was going thru every rapid makin water go over the winshield gettin everone screaming like a roller coaster ride when he totally could have avoided a lot of it. just giving the paying customers what they want,some excitement, what they payed for. not to say that its not heads up driving, its still a big fast river.ive owned a jet boat since i was 22, im 50 now and ive taken my boat to a lot of rivers around AB and BC. some big rivers, some big trips. columbia, athabasca. clearwater, and some small skinny ones too. you’ll never do anything if your worried “something” might happen,you just have to get out there and do it, or you never will and then its to late boys.
oilersfan
Deck Swab

Postby Toddco » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:31 am

Being an Oilers fan myself, I would help ya out! Except I don't know anything! :Drink: :Laugh1:
I fit in nicely when i am completely alone!
Toddco
Novice Baiter

Return to British Columbia