Sponsor Directory

Anyone on here run their jet in the ocean?

Anyone on here run their jet in the ocean?

Postby Storm604 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am

Just wondering if anyone runs their jet into the ocean. I’ve been told that’s it’s perfectly fine as long as you are cleaning and flushing it out when you’re done. And then I’ve also met guys that say nah nah nah. You’ll ruin your boat. I know in the states a lot of the guys will chase silvers in their jet.

If I was to start using my custom Weld out there. I would run it from the Fraser River mouth so it flushes on the way back in. Maybe 5-10 times a year.

She’s all rigged up for down riggers and trolling so it would be a shame not too.

Can any owners who use their jets in the ocean and rivers share some insight? Thanks in advance!
Storm604
Deck Swab

Re: Anyone on here run their jet in the ocean?

Postby KROY » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:57 am

I've owned three jetboats and ran them all in the ocean. Added zinc anodes and flushed after each use. I would be more worried about getting the salt out of the boat and engine. The boats had an AT pump, 212, and Kodiak 3-stage. The 212 came with zinc anodes attached.
KROY
Novice Baiter

Postby SWAT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 am

Just make sure you have zinc

Without zinc your boat will rot and you won't catch anything
SWAT
Forum Enthusiast

Postby gordo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 am

What everyone said, plus take your stainless fish tools if you have some and wash all of your equipment with fresh water when you're done.Enjoy, I love fishing in the salt! Gordo
gordo
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Draggin up » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Salt away seems to be a good product to use for a good washdown of the inside of your boat after being in the salt.
12' Coleman canoe w/twin paddles
Draggin up
Beer Boy

Postby GordJ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 pm

I’ve taken my CW out to Sandheads a half dozen times now and there is no evidence of any harm. I tasted the water at Captains Cove and it isn’t salty at all. When on Howe Sound or Indian Arm I back the trailer in at Fort Langley to flush it out and, again, no harm, no foul(ing).
20' Customweld
6 liter VVT
Hami 212
GordJ
Novice Baiter

Postby smitty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 am

I believe chariotdriver is from Olympia WA, I'd imagine he runs in salt once in a while. Then he rinses it off in Hells Canyon [c:
Re: reading water: "I use a completely different method.. When I get high centered I don't go that way again. " - bigcat_ak
smitty
Captain

Postby riverboater » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:44 am

The best thing I notice about salt water was overall performance. Dropping 2000ft and salt water density, The boat seemed to ride higher and scoot better than ever.
riverboater
Captain

Postby SWAT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:21 pm

My storm was 10mph faster in the Chuck.
SWAT
Forum Enthusiast

Postby tommycraft » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 am

We have used my buddy's alumaweld in the ocean a lot no problems at all we just wash it really good when we take it out. It will spend 5 or 6 days in the salt and the whole boat gets salt water inside and out. We use it fishing 25 miles off shore so it can get a little rough out there.
Tommycraft.ca
tommycraft
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Storm604 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks soo much everyone!! Thinking of trying it out this year. I just wanted to make sure that I take every precaution and do it right so that I'm not running into any problems!!!

Keep you guys posted!
Storm604
Deck Swab

Postby husky » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:40 pm

My boat with uhmw and a sportjet didn't like the salt water. Visible corrosion on the chines and in the pump made me stop drinking it in the chuck. It was easy to clean up, but it was obvious that it would become a problem if I kept doing it.
husky
Novice Baiter

Return to British Columbia