Sponsor Directory

GREAT FALLS - Jet Boat

GREAT FALLS - Jet Boat

Postby Hunter66 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:49 am

Hello Guys,
I'm new and I would need advice. I'm planning to move in Great Fall MT and I would like to add to my oldest passion (upland hunting & big game) also fishing. I used to fish, but from the shore. Now, I would like to step forward and start to fish from the boat. I will mainly boat the Missouri river from Great Fall to Cascade, Craig, Holter Dam to Pelican Access FAS, from Hauser Dam to Holter Lake, Land of Giants.

I have zero boat experience. Never boating on a river. Probably I will buy from a Wallace Marine dealer, in GF, that will be closed to me and that sell Hewescraft. Any suggestion ?
Taking school boat class ?
First buy an old and cheap jet boat to have experience and then buy a nice aluminium jet boat ?
If yes, what kind of old boat would you suggest ?
About the new one: Hewescraft ? What model ? Out board or inboard ?
Should be between 21 and 23 because my wife want to stay confortable, with space and a place where she can stay confortable, laying out and tanning under the sun.

Thank You all.
Hunter66
Deck Swab

Re: GREAT FALLS - Jet Boat

Postby Bobcat93 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:29 pm

The only model that Hewescraft makes is a Sportjet and the biggest size is the 20'. I have a 2005. They can be hard to find but I like mine. There is a fella that is on here as well as the Hewescraft Owners forum that is from Great Falls that knows the area well, he has an 18' Hewescraft Sportjet. I hope he chimes in. The new inboard jetboats from Hewescraft run the Rotax power.
2005 Hewescraft 20' Sportjet
Bobcat93
Buoy Boy

Postby Hunter66 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Thank You for the answer. At least somebody that want discuss the matter. So Hewescraft makes different models. See the website www.hewescraft.com
But hard to know where to start from, as pointed out in my post. Thanks again.
Hunter66
Deck Swab

Postby Bobcat93 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:50 pm

The River Runner replaced the Sportjet.
Here's the link from this forum on the River Runner:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21695
2005 Hewescraft 20' Sportjet
Bobcat93
Buoy Boy

Postby frenchyinmt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Hewescrafts are nice boats. Not sure I would start with a boat over 20 feet as a first boat, but I get nervous. Been stuck too many times in my tiny little 16ft jon boat. I did step up into a 19' jetcraft this year, and so far so good. But I've been cautious with it so far.

I guess the style of boat doesn't really matter. Find one you like and hit the water. I'm also a little on the cheap side, So I always go used.
frenchyinmt
Deck Swab

Postby Nater11 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:39 pm

Hunter66-

First, no boat is perfect, all of them are fun.

Second, I also recently moved to Montana (second summer now). And I’ve been on the sections of river you mentioned. Almost any aluminum jet will do what you want and that river runner does good on both lakes and rivers. I spent a lot of time in my dads outboard river runner and have a lot of memories from it.

Last summer I had a 16’ outboard sled to beat up and sell. It got me learned up on local channels without too much consequence. My 4 kids and wife missed the windshield bad. So this year we went back to the window boat.

Anything over 2500lbs is hard to push

90% of the damage will happen your first year... likely.

When in doubt, scout.

Local knowledge can be misleading, so always ask a few people the same question. The guys on this forum have been reliable and helped me out.
Nater11
Buoy Boy

Return to Montana