Sponsor Directory

Campground near Toston?

Campground near Toston?

Postby Nater11 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Does anyone know the name of this campground? I ran the section from Lombard to Canyon Ferry today bridge clearance was pretty sketchy. (Had about an extra 12”, but made my butterflies tinkle)

Anyways, I noticed the campground near York islands had a nice boat ramp and campsites right on the river. It’s between the Bridges so would be good for high water river running. I would like to camp out with the kids and chase carp in this section when the water gets hot and low...
Attachments
665945BC-CC28-467E-A5AC-3AC3E66A49AA.jpeg
Nater11
Buoy Boy

Re: Campground near Toston?

Postby Envijs » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:50 am

As far as I know it’s called York Island, I believe that’s is what the sign says on the highway at the turn off.
Envijs
Beer Boy

Postby Nater11 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:54 am

Envijs wrote:As far as I know it’s called York Island, I believe that’s is what the sign says on the highway at the turn off.

Thanks- FWP has it under FAS instead of campground. So that makes sense. Just wanted to make sure it’s not private before I show up with the camper and my pack of monkeys. Launch looks way better for motor home launching also.
Nater11
Buoy Boy

Postby frenchyinmt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 pm

How was the current at the launch. The only time i have been there, we launched fine but chose to load up at the dirt ramp right where the river hits the lake. There is a little backwater channel with an unimproved ramp, and a little campground as well.
frenchyinmt
Deck Swab

Postby Nater11 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:53 pm

frenchyinmt wrote:How was the current at the launch. The only time i have been there, we launched fine but chose to load up at the dirt ramp right where the river hits the lake. There is a little backwater channel with an unimproved ramp, and a little campground as well.

The current was swift, but totally fine. Not enough beach to hold the boat so it has to be tied off while I park the truck. Thanks for the directions to the backwater launch. I noticed it on google earth once you mentioned it. I’ll make a point to run up that channel next time I’m out.
Nater11
Buoy Boy

Postby Nater11 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:15 pm

https://youtu.be/AZapdLHKaL4

Also have to watch out for river cows. A few back channels had some “wading angus”. Haha. Wish I would have caught it on video, but I can around this corner and found some cows in the channel. “Only in Montana”
Nater11
Buoy Boy

Return to Montana