Sponsor Directory

Montana Rivers

Montana Rivers

Postby BRILEY » Mon May 04, 2020 9:11 am

I am new to jet boating, and just bought a 25' HCM. Any rivers in Montana that could be explored while our water is high? Any advice and help learning would be much appreciated. Thanks
BRILEY
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 am

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Riverjohn » Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 am

BRILEY wrote:I am new to jet boating, and just bought a 25' HCM. Any rivers in Montana that could be explored while our water is high? Any advice and help learning would be much appreciated. Thanks

Find a Lake to start. Get to know your boat before you put it in a river. :idea: :idea:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Benny » Mon May 04, 2020 11:13 am

BRILEY wrote:I am new to jet boating, and just bought a 25' HCM. Any rivers in Montana that could be explored while our water is high? Any advice and help learning would be much appreciated. Thanks


You bought one of the most expensive boats you could to start/learn?

Go buy a cheap POS. When you get it figured out then run the over priced one. That way you don't have to buy an expensive one again. LOL
Benny
Forum Enthusiast
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:57 am

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Nater11 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:17 am

Where do you live? Seems like plenty of options depending on what side of the state and your tolerance for risk.

Also. Let’s see a pic of the new ride! Congrats.
User avatar
Nater11
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: Alaska

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby frenchyinmt » Mon May 04, 2020 2:13 pm

I second that......please post pics of the new rig.

And also, where are you located?
frenchyinmt
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:46 pm

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby JETBIGSKY 1 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:31 am

Lots to pick from, Around Billings the Yellowstone is great during high water until mid summer. Just watch the bridge heights as the water gets really high. One suggestion would be where ever you go learn it in short stretches both up and down and if possible boat with a buddy.
2006 Thunderjet Alexis 6.0L 212
JETBIGSKY 1
Beer Boy
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby BRILEY » Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 am

boat 1.jpg
We live near Anaconda. We expected to be traveling a lot after buying the boat, we have a camper on the pickup so we can go where ever. We have been spending sometime on a few lakes and reservoirs just learning the boat and making sure things work as they should, I would just like to get it in some current to learn the feel of it. I have been running prop boats my whole life, and I have had a little time in a 21' northwest jet but only in calm water.
BRILEY
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 am

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby BRILEY » Thu May 07, 2020 7:18 am

boat 2.jpg
BRILEY
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 am

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Nater11 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 am

Nice boat! I sent a pm. Being you are so close to me, we should try get together on the Missouri sometime. I was going to go there this weekend, but the wife wants to go somewhere “new” for mother’s day weekend. We’re gonna try Troy to kootani falls. Looks like a fairly easy 8 miles of river.

Found this on YouTube. Not sure if anyone else on here has some insight.
https://youtu.be/hCUb6kRnb88
User avatar
Nater11
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: Alaska

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Bernoulli » Thu May 07, 2020 12:29 pm

Nater11 wrote:Nice boat! I sent a pm. Being you are so close to me, we should try get together on the Missouri sometime. I was going to go there this weekend, but the wife wants to go somewhere “new” for mother’s day weekend. We’re gonna try Troy to kootani falls. Looks like a fairly easy 8 miles of river.

Found this on YouTube. Not sure if anyone else on here has some insight.
https://youtu.be/hCUb6kRnb88


Nater11, I live in North Idaho and I have been considering running up the Kootenai from Bonners Ferry or Troy up to the canyon towards the falls for a while now. I can't make it this weekend, but I would love to hear about your experience. How much debris in the water, how the boat launch is, any surprises, etc.
Bernoulli
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 12:15 pm

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Wed May 13, 2020 11:37 am

BRILEY wrote:
boat 1.jpg
We live near Anaconda. We expected to be traveling a lot after buying the boat, we have a camper on the pickup so we can go where ever. We have been spending sometime on a few lakes and reservoirs just learning the boat and making sure things work as they should, I would just like to get it in some current to learn the feel of it. I have been running prop boats my whole life, and I have had a little time in a 21' northwest jet but only in calm water.


Im in Butte.

Take your boat over to Upper Holter and run it up the river towards Hauser dam. Its wide and forgiving and you can learn from that before you go all in on a fast moving river. Just my 2 cents.

Nice looking boat you got there. :Power:
2003 21' Northwest Jet - 6.0 Vortec - Hamilton 212

https://www.facebook.com/mtriverpirates/
User avatar
Tuna Cowboy
Beer Boy
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:34 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Nater11 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Bernoulli wrote:
Nater11 wrote:Nice boat! I sent a pm. Being you are so close to me, we should try get together on the Missouri sometime. I was going to go there this weekend, but the wife wants to go somewhere “new” for mother’s day weekend. We’re gonna try Troy to kootani falls. Looks like a fairly easy 8 miles of river.

Found this on YouTube. Not sure if anyone else on here has some insight.
https://youtu.be/hCUb6kRnb88


Nater11, I live in North Idaho and I have been considering running up the Kootenai from Bonners Ferry or Troy up to the canyon towards the falls for a while now. I can't make it this weekend, but I would love to hear about your experience. How much debris in the water, how the boat launch is, any surprises, etc.


Bern- it was a pretty easy stretch of river. There are a few rock gardens, but very readable. Water was rippin in the canyon pretty good, but it was more exciting than scary. The boat ramp in Troy is super nice, and there was a good park for my kids to play at. It wasn’t a very long boat ride tho, so next time we might just go to Bonners but to make a longer run of it.

https://youtu.be/-_SOvIYZEcE
User avatar
Nater11
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: Alaska

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Nater11 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 pm

Tuna Cowboy wrote:
BRILEY wrote:
boat 1.jpg
We live near Anaconda. We expected to be traveling a lot after buying the boat, we have a camper on the pickup so we can go where ever. We have been spending sometime on a few lakes and reservoirs just learning the boat and making sure things work as they should, I would just like to get it in some current to learn the feel of it. I have been running prop boats my whole life, and I have had a little time in a 21' northwest jet but only in calm water.


Im in Butte.

Take your boat over to Upper Holter and run it up the river towards Hauser dam. Its wide and forgiving and you can learn from that before you go all in on a fast moving river. Just my 2 cents.

Nice looking boat you got there. :Power:



I agree with upper Holter being a good place to get the feel of the river. Just be sure to slow down after beaver creek, I made that mistake and got yelled at a bit by some guides. Water is deep enough to idle up to the dam slowly around the rocks if you wanted to.
User avatar
Nater11
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: Alaska

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby BRILEY » Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 am

Thanks, I ran that upper Holter stretch last weekend, I only went to beaver cr. though. There were a ton of fisherman drifting in that section so i stayed away. I have about 10 hrs on it now at different places, starting to get comfortable with it. Id be up for learning the beginning of the Missouri up to Toston next.
BRILEY
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 am

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Crawdad Johnny » Fri May 15, 2020 8:58 am

Just a reminder to everyone running upper Holter toward Hauser Dam, from Beaver Creek to Hauser Dam is a NO WAKE ZONE as per the regulations. That's why folks yell at you and give you the stink eye up there. IMO, it's a stupid rule since many folks slow down but still go faster than they should so they end up with an even larger wake. But we need to obey the rules in place as they almost closed this section of river to motorized craft about 10 years back.
17 Ft Wooldridge Alaskan
150/105HP Mercury Optimax, Flow-Tec Quick Steering
Crawdad Johnny
Forum Enthusiast
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Nater11 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 pm

BRILEY wrote:Thanks, I ran that upper Holter stretch last weekend, I only went to beaver cr. though. There were a ton of fisherman drifting in that section so i stayed away. I have about 10 hrs on it now at different places, starting to get comfortable with it. Id be up for learning the beginning of the Missouri up to Toston next.


BRILEY- I’m not sure if you made the Headwaters run in the new boat yet, but I was just there and thought I should report the water is high and much more forgiving . Of course there is always a chance of hitting something, 90% of the gravel bars and rocks are way under the water. Lots of floating debris and muddy, but really high at 10k. I Made tracks on just about every back channel this morning in my much smaller boat.
User avatar
Nater11
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: Alaska

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby BRILEY » Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 am

I haven't made it there yet, thanks for the update. Maybe I can get you to run that with me next week sometime.
BRILEY
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 am

Re: Montana Rivers

Postby Nater11 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:02 pm

I would love to; however, next week I’ll be out of state. I been home bound during corona virus, but now that things are opening back up, I’ll be flying out for two weeks. I’ll be back on the water for sure when I’m back home.
User avatar
Nater11
Buoy Boy
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: Alaska


Return to Montana

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron