Sponsor Directory

American Rivers

American Rivers

Postby Bobcat93 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Heads up: I read this article over the weekend in the magazine called Distinctly Montana, pages 80-81. They are looking at regulation for motorized boats especially on the Flathead, Missouri and Yellowstone. They regretted not proactively addressing the issue in 2017 which was the Quiet Waters deal put out by Back Country Hunters & Anglers.

The link is to the magazine, you'll have to page through to 80 & 81.

http://digital.distinctlymontana.com/i/ ... pring-2018
2005 Hewescraft 20' Sportjet
Bobcat93
Beer Boy

Re: American Rivers

Postby Crawdad Johnny » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 am

Bobcat - Thanks for this post. I read the article. This is the author's prediction of what will happen over the next 30 years. He is predicting more pressure to regulate motorized access to some of Montana's larger rivers over the next 30 years and he is expressing his regret that the quiet waters proposal wasn't adopted by Montana FWP. The commissioners said much the same thing at the hearing I attended and indicated that as river usage and conflicts between various users increase, they will almost certainly see more proposals to limit motorized access in the future. So, while troubling to me, I don't see this as new news. However, I do believe we will see more attempts to restrict access in the future. My greatest fear is that motorized access will be restricted gradually (sort of a "death by a thousand cuts" scenario). It will be harder to fight if future proposed restrictions are less sweeping and extreme. I fear they will try to nickle and dime us and it will be harder to rally everyone to the cause.
17 Ft Wooldridge Alaskan
150/105HP Mercury Optimax, Flow-Tec Quick Steering
Crawdad Johnny
Novice Baiter

Postby Bobcat93 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 am

You are welcome. I posted it so we can all be vigilant of groups (some well funded) that want to restrict or ban jet boats on our rivers. One thing that I agree with him on is that other folks should pay to use the boat ramps/ access sites not just us hunters & fisherman.
2005 Hewescraft 20' Sportjet
Bobcat93
Beer Boy

Postby MTRiverRunner » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 pm

The guy that wrote that article is a moron. How in the heck are they going to get water to Nevada, Utah and California from Montana? None of our rivers go anywhere near any of those states. Maybe he foresees giant pipelines going across entire states?

That said, I fear that he is correct on some aspects. We will in fact see more pressure to de-motorize what last vestiges of river that are currently available to motorized use in Montana.
24 ft HCM, LSA/212 Sold but missing it.
17 ft Wooldridge AK 150 Opti Pro XS
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Postby Penguin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:20 pm

How is it proposed to bring northern states’ water to California? I’ve read that as petroleum pipeline construction and use in North America has become more economical, so too is the idea that fresh water from areas of abudance can be pipelined to areas in need. When you consider how much farmland in California has been taken out of production for lack of irrigation water, it may be of economic benefit to sell them that which some states, or countries (Canada) have in excess. Water would only have to be piped as far as the upper Green River drainage to be available for California. I do think though that only rivers that empty directly to the sea would meet legal criteria for sale and transfer.
Not advocating for it, just my two cents.
Penguin
Deck Swab

Return to Montana