Well?

That's a deep subject...

:Laugh1:
Hoss 350
Captain

Re: Well?

Postby Honeybadger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Dude?
'95 Thunderjet Maxim 25', redline 460, 212.
Honeybadger
Beer Boy

Postby heyjpark » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Bro.
Boatless
heyjpark
First Mate

Postby heyjpark » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:52 am

Cle Elum?
Boatless
heyjpark
First Mate

Postby heyjpark » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:17 am

Boating on the Cle Elum?
Boatless
heyjpark
First Mate

Postby Honeybadger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:36 pm

heyjpark wrote:Bro.

Sweet....
'95 Thunderjet Maxim 25', redline 460, 212.
Honeybadger
Beer Boy

Postby Riverjohn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Bomber wrote:Yup up to cle elum lake dam.

Where do you put in at? Do you run any of the Yakima?
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Bodofish » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:00 am

I believe the Yak is no motors above the Rosa Dam Reservoir all the way to Lake Easton. Cle Elum was quite high last weekend but despite that the stretch just below the dam could still be walked across. The Lake is higher than I've ever seen it.
Image Beer, Cigars, Fish'in stuff, Every chance I get.
Bodofish
Captain

Postby Riverjohn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:12 am

Bodofish wrote:I believe the Yak is no motors above the Rosa Dam Reservoir all the way to Lake Easton. Cle Elum was quite high last weekend but despite that the stretch just below the dam could still be walked across. The Lake is higher than I've ever seen it.

Unless it has recently changed it is only closed to motors from above the Roza Ramp to the Railroad Bridge below the Thrall road put in. Below Roza dam and above the railroad bridge all are opened. I have run the sections from the Diversion dam below Union Gap to the base of Roza dam and from the Railroad Bridge to the Diversion dam above Ellensburg.
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Bodofish » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Riverjohn wrote:
Bodofish wrote:I believe the Yak is no motors above the Rosa Dam Reservoir all the way to Lake Easton. Cle Elum was quite high last weekend but despite that the stretch just below the dam could still be walked across. The Lake is higher than I've ever seen it.

Unless it has recently changed it is only closed to motors from above the Roza Ramp to the Railroad Bridge below the Thrall road put in. Below Roza dam and above the railroad bridge all are opened. I have run the sections from the Diversion dam below Union Gap to the base of Roza dam and from the Railroad Bridge to the Diversion dam above Ellensburg.

Except well, No, it hasn't changed recently and all most all of it is " Combustion Motors Prohibited" There is a little bit of time in the dead of winter but not much water flowing then and in the Rosa Dam Rec. area as stated previously. As this discussion is really about being above the Rosa Dam I'll just ad one bit of the Yakima County Ordinances, you can motor all day.... at 5 MPH and under. So here are a couple excerpts from the WDFW Fishing Regs. They are not limited to fishing but to use of the waterways in general. I didn't feel like digging any further but all of the Controlled/Legal boat ramps I've been to are posted Floaty's only.

WDFW REGS.

CLE ELUM RIVER_ (Kittitas Co.)
from mouth to Cle Elum Dam
all species_ - selective gear rules, except Dec. 1-Mar. 31: whitefish gear may be used. Internal combustion
motors prohibited
. Lawful to fish to base of Cle Elum Dam.
TROUT Year-round Catch-and-release.
Other Game Fish Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit.
from Cle Elum Lake to Hyas Lake All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit. Selective gear rules. Internal
combustion motors prohibited.

YAKIMA RIVER_ (Kittitas Co.)
from Roza Dam to Easton Dam
(690)
CLOSED WATERS_ - from Easton Dam downstream 400'. Fishing from floating devices with an internal
combustion motor is allowed from the US Bureau of Reclamation restricted areas signs at Roza Dam
upstream to the boat launch ramp on the Roza Access Area (approximately ½ mile).

All Game Fish Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit. Release all TROUT. Selective gear
rules, except Dec. 1-Last day in Feb.: whitefish gear may be used for
WHITEFISH only. Internal combustion motors prohibited.

Yakima County Ord.

8.12.195 Restrictions Due to Safety Hazards.
(1) Because of their relatively small area, tendency to contain snags or submerged water hazards, or other safety hazards existing thereon, the areas or bodies of water set out below shall be subject to the following restrictions:
(a) In no case shall a motorboat operating in the Yakima River operate at greater than five miles per hour within fifteen feet of any shoreline, except as otherwise provided in Section 8.12.130.
(b) All motorboats traveling on the Yakima River within Yakima County shall be operated according to the following general rules:
(i) Motorboats traveling generally in a southerly and easterly direction (downstream) shall be operated as near as conditions allow to, but not less than fifteen feet from, their starboard (right) shoreline when proceeding downstream.
(ii) Motorboats traveling generally in a northerly and westerly direction (upstream) shall be operated as near as conditions allow to, but not less than fifteen feet from, their starboard (right) shoreline when proceeding upstream.
(iii) In any area where a circular traffic pattern is possible, motorboats shall be operated at all times in a counterclockwise direction.
(iv) No operator shall alter his course or change direction without first giving reasonable visible signal to other traffic on the river which might be affected by said turn or change of course.
Bodofish
Captain

Postby Riverjohn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Riverjohn wrote:

Except well, No, it hasn't changed recently and all most all of it is " Combustion Motors Prohibited" There is a little bit of time in the dead of winter but not much water flowing then and in the Rosa Dam Rec. area as stated previously. As this discussion is really about being above the Rosa Dam I'll just ad one bit of the Yakima County Ordinances, you can motor all day.... at 5 MPH and under. So here are a couple excerpts from the WDFW Fishing Regs. They are not limited to fishing but to use of the waterways in general. I didn't feel like digging any further but all of the Controlled/Legal boat ramps I've been to are posted Floaty's only.

WDFW REGS.

CLE ELUM RIVER_ (Kittitas Co.)
from mouth to Cle Elum Dam
all species_ - selective gear rules, except Dec. 1-Mar. 31: whitefish gear may be used. Internal combustion
motors prohibited
. Lawful to fish to base of Cle Elum Dam.
TROUT Year-round Catch-and-release.
Other Game Fish Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit.
from Cle Elum Lake to Hyas Lake All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit. Selective gear rules. Internal
combustion motors prohibited.

YAKIMA RIVER_ (Kittitas Co.)
from Roza Dam to Easton Dam
(690)
CLOSED WATERS_ - from Easton Dam downstream 400'. Fishing from floating devices with an internal
combustion motor is allowed from the US Bureau of Reclamation restricted areas signs at Roza Dam
upstream to the boat launch ramp on the Roza Access Area (approximately ½ mile).

All Game Fish Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit. Release all TROUT. Selective gear
rules, except Dec. 1-Last day in Feb.: whitefish gear may be used for
WHITEFISH only. Internal combustion motors prohibited.

Yakima County Ord.

8.12.195 Restrictions Due to Safety Hazards.
(1) Because of their relatively small area, tendency to contain snags or submerged water hazards, or other safety hazards existing thereon, the areas or bodies of water set out below shall be subject to the following restrictions:
(a) In no case shall a motorboat operating in the Yakima River operate at greater than five miles per hour within fifteen feet of any shoreline, except as otherwise provided in Section 8.12.130.
(b) All motorboats traveling on the Yakima River within Yakima County shall be operated according to the following general rules:
(i) Motorboats traveling generally in a southerly and easterly direction (downstream) shall be operated as near as conditions allow to, but not less than fifteen feet from, their starboard (right) shoreline when proceeding downstream.
(ii) Motorboats traveling generally in a northerly and westerly direction (upstream) shall be operated as near as conditions allow to, but not less than fifteen feet from, their starboard (right) shoreline when proceeding upstream.
(iii) In any area where a circular traffic pattern is possible, motorboats shall be operated at all times in a counterclockwise direction.
(iv) No operator shall alter his course or change direction without first giving reasonable visible signal to other traffic on the river which might be affected by said turn or change of course.

I don't know where you got your information. I also don't think you really read it. If you study it a little you will find it pertains to use when fishing. Also Yakima County does not control above Roza dam. Kittitas County does. This is from Kittitas County. You might also take note of the last sentence in 9.10.035 Unlawful wake zone.
http://www.co.kittitas.wa.us/boc/county ... p#9.10.010

Chapter 9.10
BOATING SAFETY

Sections
9.10.010 Legislative findings - Purpose.
9.10.020 Definitions.
9.10.025 Public access area signs and buoys.
9.10.030 Prohibition.
9.10.035 Unlawful wake zone.
9.10.040 Violation - Penalty.

9.10.010 Legislative findings - Purpose.
Recreational use of waters in Kittitas County has grown rapidly. Residents and visitors of Kittitas County use the waters of Kittitas County for swimming, boating, floating, wading, fishing and other recreational purposes. It is expressly the purpose of this Chapter to provide for and promote the health, safety and welfare of the general public. This Chapter is not intended to create or otherwise establish or designate any particular class or group of persons who will or should be especially protected or benefited by its terms. (Ord. 2011-02, 2011; Ord. 99-09, 1999; Ord. 93-5 § 1, 1993).

9.10.020 Definitions.
Terms in this chapter shall mean as follows:

Motor Driven Vessels
All boats and vessels which are self-propelled by a motor. This does not include boats or vessels that are driven by wind energy or human effort. "Motor Driven Vessels" mentioned throughout the Chapter shall also include "personal watercraft" as defined herein.
Official motorized vessel
Any motor driven vessel which is operated by a person who is under the control, supervision or administrative authority of any local, state, or federal agency. "Official motorized vessel" includes private and governmental vessels which are engaged in search and rescue activities under the direction of the Sheriff of Kittitas County.
Operator
An individual who steers, directs, or otherwise has physical control of a vessel that is underway or exercises actual authority to control the person at the helm.
Personal watercraft
A vessel of less than sixteen feet that uses a motor powering a water jet pump as its primary source of motive power and that is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on, or being towed behind the vessel, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel.
Vessel
Every description of watercraft on the water, other than a seaplane, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water. However, it does not include inner tubes, air mattresses, sailboards, small rafts, flotation devices or toys customarily used by swimmers.
Yakima River
The flowing portion of the Yakima River and any waters which result from the flow of the Yakima River and are connected to the Yakima River by water except for irrigation canals. The "Yakima River" includes its sloughs, backwaters and dammed portions. (Ord. 2011-02, 2011; Ord. 99-09, 1999; Ord. 93-5 § 2, 1993)
9.10.025 Public access area signs and buoys.
Upon all waters in the County at public access areas where the waters are used extensively for swimming, launching and removing boats, and water skiing, there shall be designated by proper signs and markers locations of boat launching ramps, skiing areas, and swimming areas, as well as appropriately marked safety buoys as required to separate and define the said boat ramp approaches, skiing areas, and swimming areas for the safety of the public. The county road engineer may have such markers installed. It is unlawful for any unauthorized person to move or tamper with such buoys. (Ord. 2011-02, 2011)

9.10.030 Prohibition.

There is established in the immediate vicinity of the Bureau of Land Management Roza Access Area a "zone" in which boat speed limit is five miles per hour and in which no wakes shall be created by motor driven vessels which are not official motorized vessels. The boundaries of this "zone" shall be determined and designated and signed jointly by the area manager of the Bureau of Land Management and the Kittitas County Sheriff's Office.
The operation of motor driven vessels which are not official motorized vessels is prohibited on the Yakima River from the upstream boundary of the boat speed "zone" established in subsection (1) of this section, to a line drawn by the downstream edge of the railroad trestle owned by Central Washington Railroad, which is southwest of SR 821 and visible from SR 821 at Mile Post 23.
A restrictive permit to allow short term operation of motor driven vessels on the Yakima River in areas previously unauthorized may be requested through the Sheriff or his designee. Such permit system will be operated in such a manner as to allow only persons with demonstrable needs for access to the restricted zone. Such persons would be allowed one yearly permit that could be activated upon appropriate notification to the Sheriff of activated dates. Permits would allow motor driven vessel operation only during the hours of daylight. Permits would be issued through the Sheriff's Office only after a written request is submitted and authorized. Any request for a permit must state specifically the reason for the request. Approval or denial of the permit request would rest solely with the Sheriff or his designee. Once authorized, motor driven vessels operating under this permit shall be limited to 20MPH. Any substantiated allegations of negligent or reckless vessel operation by any permit holder shall result in the immediate revocation and suspension of the permit and any related privileges. (Ord. 2011-02, 2011; Ord. 9909, 1999; Ord. 93-5 § 3, 1993; Ord. 2003-08, 2003)
It is unlawful for any person to operate a motor driven vessel at a speed of more than five miles per hour and create any wakes when said motor driven vessel is within 150 feet of any swimmer, shoreline, dock, float, launching ramp, or non-motorized vessel. Exceptions to this subsection are the Yakima and Cle Elum Rivers and their tributaries. (Ord. 2011-02, 2011)

9.10.040 Violation - Penalty.
Any person, firm, or corporation who violates any of the sections of this Chapter shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than ninety days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than one thousand dollars per violation, or both such imprisonment and fine. (Ord. 2011-02, 2011; Ord. 99-09, 1999; Ord. 93-5 § 4, 1993).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Bodofish » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Sorry but you're the one whos guilty of not reading. If the regs meant to say while fishing they would use the phrase, "No fishing from a floating and or motorized craft". It's printed through out the regs. I've seen a number of tickets written reciently for boating where motors are not allowed. You are alos missing the part about it being ok to run motorized craft from Dec1st through the end of Feb. I can't for any reason figure out why they would put that in if it wasn't closed the rest of the year.

But hey I'm just trying to save you some money, knock yourself out and give it a try.

Oh and I forgot to thank you for for adding the bit about the Rosa Dam reservoir which I have stated all along was fine and the only legal place to run motorized craft on the Yak.
Bodofish
Captain

Postby wentzel88 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 pm

Bodofish wrote:Sorry but you're the one whos guilty of not reading. If the regs meant to say while fishing they would use the phrase, "No fishing from a floating and or motorized craft". It's printed through out the regs. I've seen a number of tickets written reciently for boating where motors are not allowed. You are alos missing the part about it being ok to run motorized craft from Dec1st through the end of Feb. I can't for any reason figure out why they would put that in if it wasn't closed the rest of the year.

But hey I'm just trying to save you some money, knock yourself out and give it a try.

Oh and I forgot to thank you for for adding the bit about the Rosa Dam reservoir which I have stated all along was fine and the only legal place to run motorized craft on the Yak.

you are very angry you might want to work on that 12/21/2012 is close :Noteeth:
wentzel88
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Bodofish » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:13 am

Not angry at all he can choose to believe what he wants, I've floated it a number of times and I can say my boat won't be going there.
Bodofish
Captain

Postby Riverjohn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 am

Bodofish wrote:Oh and I forgot to thank you for for adding the bit about the Rosa Dam reservoir which I have stated all along was fine and the only legal place to run motorized craft on the Yak.

So from your understanding of what you read is the speed limit 5 mph. in all of the Roza Dam Reservoir? (Boat Ramp to the Dam)
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Bodofish » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Now that's a tough one. It says 5mph in the "safety zone" at the launch site and then it says with in 150' of just about anything. I've wittnessed the lake lice just going like a bat out of hell right up the river with the Sheriff just watching them so I'd say your pretty safe as long as you act with a little decorum and curtesy. I had one come around the corner and beach it right in front of me while I was casting, very nice. If it were me and I was going to pull a toy or do some rodeos or a skier or board, I'd probably keep it out in the middle or head straight out there from the beach if towing. The Yak county ordinance for the lower part of the river, I really think the 5mph deal is so they can fine you if they think you're getting out of hand. Staying on the starboard side of the river and on the starboard side of the half giving way to any vessel coming the other way, geez, you'd need a tape measure to figure your line and then no more than 5mph and no wake if you're with in 15' of the shore, and to follow their guidlines you'd be pretty much stuck within 15' of the shore, now I've seen people water skiing on the lower part of the river and you certainly can't follow the rules and do that so I'm pretty sure the ordinance is to give the sheriff a big stick, do they use it? Who knows.
Bodofish
Captain

Postby Riverjohn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 am

Bodofish wrote:Now that's a tough one. It says 5mph in the "safety zone" at the launch site and then it says with in 150' of just about anything. I've wittnessed the lake lice just going like a bat out of hell right up the river with the Sheriff just watching them so I'd say your pretty safe as long as you act with a little decorum and curtesy. I had one come around the corner and beach it right in front of me while I was casting, very nice. If it were me and I was going to pull a toy or do some rodeos or a skier or board, I'd probably keep it out in the middle or head straight out there from the beach if towing. The Yak county ordinance for the lower part of the river, I really think the 5mph deal is so they can fine you if they think you're getting out of hand. Staying on the starboard side of the river and on the starboard side of the half giving way to any vessel coming the other way, geez, you'd need a tape measure to figure your line and then no more than 5mph and no wake if you're with in 15' of the shore, and to follow their guidlines you'd be pretty much stuck within 15' of the shore, now I've seen people water skiing on the lower part of the river and you certainly can't follow the rules and do that so I'm pretty sure the ordinance is to give the sheriff a big stick, do they use it? Who knows.

You are still not reading it! Yakima County ends about a mile or more down river from Roza Dam. (It is not Rosa Dam) Kittitas County controls the Roza Pool and above.
Read this again. Pay special attention to the EXCEPTIONS.
It is unlawful for any person to operate a motor driven vessel at a speed of more than five miles per hour and create any wakes when said motor driven vessel is within 150 feet of any swimmer, shoreline, dock, float, launching ramp, or non-motorized vessel. Exceptions to this subsection are the Yakima and Cle Elum Rivers and their tributaries. (Ord. 2011-02, 2011)
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Bodofish » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Yes I'm well aware of all of that and also aware that there are more than one governmental entity controlling the waterways. Don't be stuck on the county ordinances, they get the third say well I guess in this case second say as the fed has next to no interest above the last passable dam. State first then county and the State still says no.
Bodofish
Captain

Next

Return to Washington