Sponsor Directory

Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Would anyone would like to do a cowlitz river run, gerhart to I-5 bridge and back. Thinking New years day polar bear run. Probably post up on a gravel bar, have a fire and lunch. Let me know if this interests you and we can work out the details
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
User avatar
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Riverjohn » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:50 pm

Wingnuts-Commander wrote:Would anyone would like to do a cowlitz river run, gerhart to I-5 bridge and back. Thinking New years day polar bear run. Probably post up on a gravel bar, have a fire and lunch. Let me know if this interests you and we can work out the details

Where is Gerhart? :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:15 am

Gerhart gardens is a launch on the cowlitz just off the I-5 by Kelso.
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
User avatar
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Riverjohn » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:27 am

Wingnuts-Commander wrote:Gerhart gardens is a launch on the cowlitz just off the I-5 by Kelso.

What are minimum water levels for this? I have been from Castle Rock to the Dam but not below there. :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:04 am

Idk the exact flow or level needed, we ran the cowlitz all fall fishing, and it was around 10 ft level on the Kelso gauge. Currently it's at 11.5 ft
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
User avatar
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 am

Looks like its about 30 miles from gerhart gardens boat launch to I5 bridge.
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
User avatar
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Riverjohn wrote:
Wingnuts-Commander wrote:Gerhart gardens is a launch on the cowlitz just off the I-5 by Kelso.

What are minimum water levels for this? I have been from Castle Rock to the Dam but not below there. :Drink: :Drink:


Are you interested in this run or know people that might be? Not sure what the weather will be, be nice to get around 10 boats or so
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
User avatar
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Riverjohn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:50 am

Wingnuts-Commander wrote:
Riverjohn wrote:
Wingnuts-Commander wrote:Gerhart gardens is a launch on the cowlitz just off the I-5 by Kelso.

What are minimum water levels for this? I have been from Castle Rock to the Dam but not below there. :Drink: :Drink:


Are you interested in this run or know people that might be? Not sure what the weather will be, be nice to get around 10 boats or so

I might be. :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:02 am

Are you interested in this run or know people that might be? Not sure what the weather will be, be nice to get around 10 boats or so[/quote]
I might be. :Drink: :Drink:[/quote]

Ok sounds good, posted in a FB group and have around 20 boats interested or going, so should be a good turnout if even half the boats show up
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
User avatar
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Riverjohn » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:13 am

Wingnuts-Commander wrote:Are you interested in this run or know people that might be? Not sure what the weather will be, be nice to get around 10 boats or so

I might be. :Drink: :Drink:[/quote]

Ok sounds good, posted in a FB group and have around 20 boats interested or going, so should be a good turnout if even half the boats show up[/quote]
10 Boats would be a great Turnout. :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Eagle1 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 pm

Do we know how long the run is? Where is put in? I'm might bring my 25' Diesel just to scare seals back to the Columbia.
User avatar
Eagle1
Captain
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:43 am

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:41 am

Eagle1 wrote:Do we know how long the run is? Where is put in? I'm might bring my 25' Diesel just to scare seals back to the Columbia.


Plan is to put in at gerhart gardens boat launch/dog park, which is by Kelso wa. Run is 30 miles one way.
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
User avatar
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Eagle1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:14 pm

I will map it in a few days. All class 2 stuff with braided channels?
User avatar
Eagle1
Captain
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:43 am

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:41 pm

Eagle1 wrote:I will map it in a few days. All class 2 stuff with braided channels?


Not sure I speak the same language, I'm not up on the class of the cowlitz river, braided channels?
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
User avatar
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby chariotdriver » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Eagle1 wrote:I will map it in a few days. All class 2 stuff with braided channels?



Yes.....braiding starts downstream of the Toutle confluence at lower flows.
chariotdriver
Captain
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:02 am
Location: Olympia

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:22 am

chariotdriver wrote:
Eagle1 wrote:I will map it in a few days. All class 2 stuff with braided channels?



Yes.....braiding starts downstream of the Toutle confluence at lower flows.

From looking at Google Earth I would say not so much braiding as sand bars. :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Eagle1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:10 am

Lots of ash bars. Maybe with water up a bit, it's no problem. I know a guy who ran from Columbia with props and didn't get very far. Can a person run to the Barrier Dam?
User avatar
Eagle1
Captain
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:43 am

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:26 am

Eagle1 wrote:Lots of ash bars. Maybe with water up a bit, it's no problem. I know a guy who ran from Columbia with props and didn't get very far. Can a person run to the Barrier Dam?

Yes, You do know that Wingnuts runs this section of the river all the time don't you? :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Eagle1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:43 am

Looks to be a 10 gallon run of Fine Red Wine Diesel.
User avatar
Eagle1
Captain
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:43 am

Re: Cowlitz river polar bear new years day run

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:01 am

Eagle1 wrote:Looks to be a 10 gallon run of Fine Red Wine Diesel.

Is that after you get towed off the sand bar 5 miles up and head back to the Ramp?? :Laugh1: :Laugh1: :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Next

Return to Washington

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron