Sponsor Directory

trip to washington

trip to washington

Postby handyandy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:30 pm

Unless things change Army will have me at Fort Lewis in July for a couple weeks rather than heading home right after I'm done there was planning on flying the wife out and we were going to take a week vacation in the area then head home. Figured we would see some of the sites in Seattle Tacoma area, visit Mount Rainier maybe Olympic National Park as well. Just figured I'd see if anyone on here had suggestions for things worth doing around that area. Won't have my boat or fishing gear with me, but was thinking about going with a charter one day to fish.
handyandy
Buoy Boy

Re: trip to washington

Postby smitty » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:47 am

Paging chariotdriver….. He is the western WA rep.

(I live on the east side of the state)
student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Postby Boice200 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:54 am

The lemay car museum is really neat if you are into cars, then there is Pikes place market, and the space needle. Not sure what else to do up in that area other than that. We tend to avoid anything to do with Seattle areas.
2004 Boice Jet, 200 sport jet
Boice200
Deck Swab

Postby handyandy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:14 am

appreciate the recommendations I am very much into cars, so I will check out he museum. I'm not looking to spend the whole week in the city I'm not much of a big city person either. I can enjoy going in now and again for some of the sites and food though. Is there any fishing or charters worth a darn in that region.
handyandy
Buoy Boy

Postby handyandy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:19 am

meant to say/ask if there is any fishing around there during the first week of August that is worth paying for a charter or if that day would be better off spent doing something else.
handyandy
Buoy Boy

Postby chariotdriver » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 pm

handyandy wrote:meant to say/ask if there is any fishing around there during the first week of August that is worth paying for a charter or if that day would be better off spent doing something else.

Ilwaco and West Port are less than 3hrs from Ft Lewis with incredible ocean fishing for salmon, ling cod, tuna, etc. River guides may still be doing summer steelhead on the Cowlitz an hour south of the base. The Columbia River Buoy 10 circus will be getting under way; I haven't been since hanging up the clown costume a few years ago. Usually lots of fish though. Make reservations early; Chi-virus may make it easier on late bookings. Puget sound fishing has gone to $hit since the tribes running the hatcheries forgot to clip the fins of hatchery fish making everything "native." :bs:

May want to think about a trip up to the San Juan Islands, drive up then take the ferry over to one or more of the islands. I've spent a week a year up there every year for the past 10 years, still have many of the islands to explore. Can't beat it when the weather is nice.

cd

p.s. steer clear of the city, it's a dumpster fire within a train-wreck down the street from a 3-ring circus. Unless you are into the homeless camps with aggressive panhandl'in :Noteeth:
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby handyandy » Fri May 01, 2020 3:32 am

Thanks for the info after I'm done at Fort Lewis we weren't planning on staying there was looking at vrbo places to the west to be a bit closer to olympia national park. We'll probably at least spend a day or so in seattle to at least check out space needle, car museum, wife wants to go to the zoo and aquarium there. As of now I'll things are still on for Fort Lewis, but who knows that could get pushed back depending on how this virus crap goes.
handyandy
Buoy Boy

Return to Washington