Sponsor Directory

Eclipse

Eclipse

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:07 am

looks like you could watch this from your boat in the Willamette and be dead center of the path. It is maybe 2-4? miles up river from Buena Vista Park Ramp. What do you guy's that know this area think of anchoring up to watch? It is right about where the Rogue Ales Farm is.
Riverjohn
Captain

Re: Eclipse

Postby Ahusk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:29 am

It's very close to Buena Vista ramp. I can't imagine seeing much from the river because of the trees. Would probably depend on the sun angle.

Rogue Farms would be all right assuming you want to hang with hippies. I have been contemplating myself where to go hang out. Nowhere near roads would probably be a good idea.
Ahusk
Master Baiter

Postby KROY » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:37 pm

BBQ at my house. I'm staying home from work that day and have three pair of the eclipse glasses. :Drink: :Drink:
KROY
Novice Baiter

Postby Eagle1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Kroy,

How many chairs can you roof hold?

Eagle1
Eagle1
Captain

Postby KROY » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Eagle1 wrote:Kroy,

How many chairs can you roof hold?

Eagle1

A lot.
KROY
Novice Baiter

Postby coRio » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:37 pm

I've thought about watching it from Billy Chinook, but I know it will be crazy busy with other boaters of all kinds!

I was all set to fish Buoy 10 from the 14th through the 21st. We reserved a house in Warrenton last year before we realized the mess it would be traveling back on the 21st! We decided to come back 3 days earlier and not even attempt that.

I think I'll watch it from my house. :Drink:
coRio
Boat Enthusiast

Postby scenicjetboats » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:42 am

OSMB posted a warning to boaters about crowded ramps and waterways that day. I came up with the ultimate solution, go to work :Laugh1:
2006 North River Commander X 21.5'
6.0 L Vortec
212 Hamilton
scenicjetboats
Master Baiter

Postby scenicjetboats » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:07 am

So the Sunday before eclipse was a cluster. Paddle Oregon started their 4 day trip that day at Marshall Island. I had 2 tours to Armitage and back thru their nightmare. No one hurt but heard they had several of their people get caught up in snags and strainers. I helped one family of 5 that were floating to camp and watch the eclipse. 5 person canoe fully loaded with gear and had never been on a river. Did you know a canoe can still float 3/4 full of water w/ gear and a 10 year old with 4 others hanging on the outside? Anyway helped them to shallow water and a gravel bar. Cartney was packed with people and cars at 5 pm trying to launch. Anyway I went to work Monday and survived.
2006 North River Commander X 21.5'
6.0 L Vortec
212 Hamilton
scenicjetboats
Master Baiter

Postby Riverjohn » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:25 pm

scenicjetboats wrote:So the Sunday before eclipse was a cluster. Paddle Oregon started their 4 day trip that day at Marshall Island. I had 2 tours to Armitage and back thru their nightmare. No one hurt but heard they had several of their people get caught up in snags and strainers. I helped one family of 5 that were floating to camp and watch the eclipse. 5 person canoe fully loaded with gear and had never been on a river. Did you know a canoe can still float 3/4 full of water w/ gear and a 10 year old with 4 others hanging on the outside? Anyway helped them to shallow water and a gravel bar. Cartney was packed with people and cars at 5 pm trying to launch. Anyway I went to work Monday and survived.

The water in the Canoe probably kept it from tipping over. :rowing: (In my opinion those are the most dangerous craft on the water for the occupant)
I ended up putting in at the Wheatland Ferry / Willamette Mission State Park Boat Ramp. Made the run Friday, Sunday and then on Eclipse day Monday. Very few floaters. I went up to the Chatoe Rogue Hop farm. About 31 miles from the ramp. Just a little over and 1 hr all three days. Ramp was almost empty each day. Getting there was not a problem either. (stayed off freeway took backroads from Canby) The only snag was the Mission Park people had so many people in line to get into the Park Monday morning that they forgot to open the Gate to the Boat Ramp. They were very apologetic when I asked them if there was a reason it was not open. :Drink: Getting back to Canby in the afternoon was slower but not bad. I tried later to head up to Oregon City though. All roads north were now blocked with lines of cars. Had to give up and go back home.
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Stumpy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Gayle and I watched it from our camp on the D, a few miles up from the now famous black-bra-Greenlight camp. Unfortunately for us, we went a little too far North to get the full meal deal, but still had a grand time watching the eclipse and even landing a couple fish. Traffic was very low. Not even too many snakes.
We came home Tuesday and witnessed considerable congestion in Madras, but otherwise it was just another day in paradise.
Stumpy
Buoy Boy

Return to Oregon