Sponsor Directory

Deschutes run 2017

Re: Deschutes run 2017

Postby GASMAN » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:13 am

True statement water was big and tough to read in spots. I also got a ouie but it's part of the boating fun.sometimes man's got to know his limitations. Great weekend of fun and very real stuff.Big Thanks to River Rat " John " & Don Julio "Ben" for the Wing walker series of Jetboating 101!!!
" GASMAN "
22 FT STICKSTEER
FANCIED UP ( RED DOT) DUCKWORTH
770 3 Stage Hami w/ 1,5,4 Stainless Impellers
coupled to a KODIAK MARINE
350 FUEL INJECTED H2o Pumping Hell Raising, Blue Bow Tie CHEVY
YAMAHA 9.9
TR-1 GOLD
GASMAN
Buoy Boy

Postby waylon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Had a great time, good to see old faces and new boats. I should go buy lottery ticket, left no alum. on the rocks this year, always next year. :Drink1:
"Only God knows why" Image
waylon
Master Baiter

Postby hilljackian » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:03 pm

I find that posting in the Schadenfruede section is an act of catharsis that helps relieve the jetboat/rock induced nightmares. ;)

Seriously, though glad to hear that the people came out healthy if not the boats. That Deschutes is a nasty one...

chariotdriver wrote:Report........Deschutes = demolition derby. Everybody is OK, boats are another story. More to follow :cry:
1984 Weldcraft, 24-FT, 460 Ford, Hamilton 1031
1996 HeliArc ProSport 20-FT, 350CID/340HP RamJet, Legend Pump *SOLD*
hilljackian
Master Baiter

Postby Sideways » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Great weekend on the big D it was good to see you all can't wait for next year run
19' Custom Weld Viper
Sideways
Novice Baiter

Postby BigCSS » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:26 pm

It was a fun but eventful weekend and good to see everyone! I should buy a lottery ticket since I had the nuts that hold the steering cable come loose twice since we had no way to fully tighten them the first time, and when things let go it was in tame parts where I could safely get to the bank. No rock hits for me thankfully and no one got hurt! Thanks to Benny for pulling me up to Macks where we could work on it easier and to Stumpy for letting us use your trailer to work on it easier, and to Ahusk for his creativity in getting it good enough to make it out.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Ahusk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Not sure I can go so far as to say it was fun, but very educational and I did enjoy myself for most of it. Nice to meet some new people.

I felt bad I wasn't more sociable at lunch. Before I managed to get around to meet all the people that I didn't know, everybody was already pulling out. Next year hopefully conditions will allow us to hang out a little longer.
Ahusk
Master Baiter

Postby Stumpy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 pm

It was a great trip. No shortage of adventure, but all took it well in stride and we just kept burning fuel!
We just got home an hour ago, but I needed to post this before the topic got stale.

To the Greenlight camp outfit:
1) When we came to your camp late Sunday morning, we found the item in the picture hanging in the middle of your camp. Did one of you leave it behind?
2) I don't think it fit any of you (at least that I saw).
3) I thought you guys were coming up to Macks yesterday; we were wrong but what a discovery we found!

Gayle insisted I remove a couple other comments before some of the campers or the moderator chimed in!
Attachments
20170604_133511a.jpg
Stumpy
Buoy Boy

Postby KROY » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Damn it Stumpy, when CFS and I got a little frisky Saturday night, he told me to take it off. When we awoke the next day, everyone looked at me a little funny so I got the hell out of there. Looks like I forgot something. :Drop:
KROY
Novice Baiter

Postby cfs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks to the little boat crew for the support and good food best of all the :bs: . I was fortunate to meet some new people and thank them for there humility. I thank a higher power for keeping everyone safe.
Best of all running my little boat to its potential and the river testing me in every rapid.
Every time I have the opportunity to run the Deschutes I am humbled by the respect it demands.
Ken you said you would take your stuff home ? :Laugh1:
cfs
Boat Enthusiast

Postby coRio » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 pm

It was a great run with many good people to lend a hand when needed! It is a beautiful part of Oregon that I plan to spend more time in!

Thanks to those that organized the run!
coRio
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Benny » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Stumpy, sorry for not making it back up Sunday like we said we would. Had some unexpected issues that forced a change of plans.
Benny
Boat Enthusiast

Postby chariotdriver » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:52 pm

hilljackian wrote:I find that posting in the Schadenfruede section is an act of catharsis that helps relieve the jetboat/rock induced nightmares. ;)

Seriously, though glad to hear that the people came out healthy if not the boats. That Deschutes is a nasty one...

chariotdriver wrote:Report........Deschutes = demolition derby. Everybody is OK, boats are another story. More to follow :cry:

You are absolutely correct; I will start a thread on Schadenfruede; "sometimes" the meaning of your life is nothing but a warning to others. (quote from "Despair Inc.)

Even though I won the demolition derby it was an awesome trip which will be done again......will most likely require a few more familiarization rides. Met incredible people who I can't thank enough in addition to learning a lot about what to carry for salvaging a mishap. Promise it will be informative and entertaining :)
chariotdriver
First Mate

Postby talltimber » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Well i would like to thank gasman for the invite/ride along and also Benny, RiverJohn, Chariot driver and Terry for 5 of the best camp-mates a guy could hope for (honest i don't know where the back bra came from). The last time i was on the Deschutes washout was not even there. I have to thank Benny and Chariot driver for the rides in those amazing Bentz boats all I can say is wow what a rush you can never have enough hp!!!!!!!
Benny you were the highlight of the trip for me, at my age to meet and spend time with a young man with the attitude and willingness to help and to give to others as you did was, well really nice too see for a change (oh and your breakfast burritos were to die for and the Don Julio wasn't bad either). Riding in that Raptor powered Bentz what a MONSTER!
Chariot driver and terry all I can say is thanks for your service and what a great pair to have in camp, LMAO more than once. Very much enjoyed the ride/conversation in your LSA powered boat, another MONSTER to say the least.
RiverJohn a little quiet on the river, but i can understand that trying to hang on to that sleeper hot rod that you got, wow love that boat.
I really enjoyed meeting all the folks at lunch on Saturday, what a great group of people and some neat boats to boot. After watching Stumpy come through Colorado with that little Woolridge outboard I thought I'm going to like these guys, their all a little crazy!
gasman thanks again for having me along, really look forward to bringing my boat next year. :Drink:
talltimber
Beer Boy

Postby GASMAN » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:10 am

Well said Chariot driver stuff happens nobody got hurt and we had plenty of fun looking forward to the next time and the next time and the next time you get the picture here's a picture for your memory book
Attachments
IMG_20170603_171937383_HDR.jpg
The last great Act of defiance coming in hot
" GASMAN "
22 FT STICKSTEER
FANCIED UP ( RED DOT) DUCKWORTH
770 3 Stage Hami w/ 1,5,4 Stainless Impellers
coupled to a KODIAK MARINE
350 FUEL INJECTED H2o Pumping Hell Raising, Blue Bow Tie CHEVY
YAMAHA 9.9
TR-1 GOLD
GASMAN
Buoy Boy

Postby KROY » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:28 am

I forgot to post this after we got back. It talks about the railroad war I was mentioning at camp:

http://deschutesriver.com/the-maupin-ra ... in-tracks/
KROY
Novice Baiter

Postby Stumpy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:04 am

Good summary article, Kroy.

If interested in the railroad history, Leon Speroff wrote The Deschutes River Railroad War. In addition to being a great, extensive discussion of the railroad war (and railroad construction in general), the book includes a chapter on the geology of the D canyon and environs. I've often wondered how, why, and when when looking at the rocks, and this book does a good job of perspective.

Another book which not only shares old pictures and natural history, it provides some advice (somewhat dated--doesn't include Washout and is designed for oars and paddles) on how to run the river. It is out of print, but can be easily obtained through the used book websites. Handbook to the Deschutes River Canyon 1979. Quinn, Quinn, and King
Stumpy
Buoy Boy

Postby KROY » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you Mitch.

I will be getting these two books. I love history, especially local history.

Update: They are both at local libraries in my county.
KROY
Novice Baiter

Previous

Return to Oregon