Sponsor Directory

Lower Salmon Noobs Spring 2020

Lower Salmon Noobs Spring 2020

Postby viking » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 pm

Only approximately 4 months until the N'th annual Lower Salmon Noob run. Approximately April 1. Woo Hoo! Many noobs have completed this run without hitting, sinking, or drowning! Your results may differ.

Caveat emptor.
Caveat lector.
I'm not Bruce
viking
Captain

Re: Lower Salmon Noobs Spring 2020

Postby smitty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:42 am

Were it May 01, I'd be there 9 times out of 10. But - I understand water restrictions and allllllllll that
student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Postby smitty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:56 am

Approximately...
student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:55 am

Might be a dumb noob question but think my 21 ft NR commander could make this run? Not new to running the boat but new to any white water action. Been a bucket list thing for awhile. Replacing the steering this winter but otherwise it's in great shape, well maintained
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Being "new to white water action" as you say, puts you at a higher risk, not something I would recommend. A new guy was following someones wake and he hit a rock a few years ago. This is best run if you have some knowledge of reading white water. If you don't have some type of roof, then no way would I recommend it. The waves can wash up and over a full windshield, let along a low windshield on some NR Commanders. See this utube video for one spring run on the salmon. Admittedly this was very high water and may not be the same this year. But it does show what it can be like. At the right flows you might consider it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqVQJZ0ToM
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Hell Yes » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:19 pm

When did he say he had no roof?
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby viking » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:20 pm

Typical flows are much lower than in the vid above. At optimal noob 10K CFS flow, if you are calm and methodical, you can make the run w/o getting your windshield wet. At 10K CFS I deliberately did the entire upstream run w/o exceeding cruise RPM. That's with an old Custom Weld. This 3-part series gives a pretty good idea of what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyrI4uZLW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1-yXbn_ilE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MARnOMMaxWI
I'm not Bruce
viking
Captain

Postby Wingnuts-Commander » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 am

No hard top on my boat, soft top only. But its seen plenty of water come over top out in the ocean. Submarined the windshield in it a few times out there when it got a little rough. Obviously it would depend on the water flow, but sounds like it would be a stretch for my boat.
2006 NR Commander, 21ft, 5.7 Hamilton 212
Wingnuts-Commander
Deck Swab

Postby lovetheedge » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Many of the commanders have no roof, I said if he had no roof. X2 on what Viking said.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby ghost123 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the videos, I certainly enjoyed and appreciated them. :chicken:
ghost123
Deck Swab

Postby Riverjohn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:30 pm

lovetheedge wrote:Many of the commanders have no roof, I said if he had no roof. X2 on what Viking said.

Sorry but that is :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: I guarantee you that not one of those came New without a Soft Top!! And some with Hard Tops!! You should stick to posting only about the Spud Boats that you are most familiar with :idea: :idea:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby chariotdriver » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:40 pm

viking wrote:Only approximately 4 months until the N'th annual Lower Salmon Noob run. Approximately April 1. Woo Hoo! Many noobs have completed this run without hitting, sinking, or drowning! Your results may differ.

Caveat emptor.
Caveat lector.

Another lap around the sun, thanks for getting the ball rolling.

If the driver is up to the task, a NR Commander is more than capable making the run with flows in the 10Kish range. A few familiarization rides through the more challenging rapids may be in order. Get some white water practice. Launch at Heller Bar; not far upstream is plenty of opportunity to get some wave train experience without rock threats.
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby Eagle1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:54 pm

If your good on reading water you will be fine. You might get a few over the top but you will make it. The biggest problem is the big Idaho boats throwing French Frys at your boat. Almost all the Northriver commander and commander X boats come with soft tops. I have seen maybe ten Hard tops in 30 years and no buys one without a top.
Eagle1
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 pm

See this utube video on a nr commander for sale- no top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNRXH7194I.
Riverjohn what makes you so such a know it all to make such comments. "You should stick to posting only about the Spud Boats that you are most familiar with". Pretty harsh when I said "IF he did not have a roof". (I put in caps to help you read it). I stand by that advice. I have been on this run at this time of year a couple times and at some very high water. If you look at the "wright way" video, I am the one driving the white boat. I think that gives credibility to my advice.

PS. While on that run my roof hatches sprung a leak, water poured in on top of my head. I know what that very cold water feels like when it splashes all over you and you have to drive all day soaking wet in cold weather.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby BigCSS » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:27 pm

Maybe you should watch that video again, because it does have a top....
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby viking » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Wingnuts --- if you feel comfortable running around on "regular" rivers, you won't have a problem, provided flow is appropriate. The first time we ran this, none of us really even knew how to read water. We had some trustworthy advice that 10K CFS is good, watched some videos, and ran it.
I'm not Bruce
viking
Captain

Postby Benny » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:58 am

For all new people to the sport watch videos and ask lots of questions. Usually videos made and posted are trying to have some WOW factor along with a little "look at me" factor. For the most part, the smooth safe line is pretty boring and can be run by many different boats not just the 100k plus ones or the "spud" boats.

I was not there so maybe someone who was can chime in. I'm pretty sure the video lovetheedge posted was them playing in a wave train that was not necessarily needed to run that rapid safety.

You will get lots of options and ideas on this site that may or may not work for you.

The best advice I could give is go on some runs but be your own person. Run only what you are comfortable with. Stop on bank and look before you run a new rapid. Don't feel like less of a person by stopping short of making the whole trip. A good captain knows when to call it quits.

Also big groups don't seem the best for learning new area. Some of the best boating I have done is with a good friend one on one taking our time. Stopping on the bank going for a walk to look at things. Bouncing ideas around about the route to take. When every captain on a run is familiar with the river a big group is a good time tho. Lots of good clean BS to weed threw. LOL
Benny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Riverjohn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 am

lovetheedge wrote:See this utube video on a nr commander for sale- no top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNRXH7194I.
Riverjohn what makes you so such a know it all to make such comments. "You should stick to posting only about the Spud Boats that you are most familiar with". Pretty harsh when I said "IF he did not have a roof". (I put in caps to help you read it). I stand by that advice. I have been on this run at this time of year a couple times and at some very high water. If you look at the "wright way" video, I am the one driving the white boat. I think that gives credibility to my advice.

PS. While on that run my roof hatches sprung a leak, water poured in on top of my head. I know what that very cold water feels like when it splashes all over you and you have to drive all day soaking wet in cold weather.

You may also be blind too! Look at the Video you posted! You can see the snaps and the mounts for a top. And if that is not enough the picture from the back shows it with the Top on. The guy's that own these take them out in the Ocean and do get water over the top. So yes stick to Spud Boats. :Drink: :Drink:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby bondobreath » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:03 am

WOW, winter is just starting and everybody is very TESTY. Peter thanks for the video, nice relaxing distraction from work. :Drink:
bondobreath
Buoy Boy

Postby lovetheedge » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:36 am

This is by far my favorite run. If you like white water boating, great scenery, nobody else on the river and camping on a sandy beach, you will love this run. If you can make the time and you are prepared and it is the right water level for your ability, I strongly encourage it. You will remember this for the rest of your life. You don't have to be an expert jet boater for most water levels. Beginners with the right frame of mind can do this at the right water levels. I don't think it is a run for your first time thru white water, though some may have done it. IMO you should be comfortable in white water, have at least some reading water skills and have a good handle on maneuvering your boat in all conditions. Peter does a great job of leading. Stopping to walk a rapid before doing it if necessary. Peter, Brandon and Sean have done this run many years in a row at many water levels. They are very helpful. I am sure if you wanted to take a ride thru one of the rapids before you run it with one of these guys or myself if I go, they would be happy to do it. Sean gave me a ride my first year. Most years Peter, Brandon, Sean and myself have gone by ourselves. I have not gone the past two years due to medical issues, that happens when you are over 70 years old. I am doing all I can to make it this year after my lower back fusion in March.
IMO a radio in the cabin with a speaker next to the driver is a must. VHF has a longer transmitting and receiving range than CB, but you can use a good CB with outside antenna. If Sean and or I go we both have VHF and CB radios. I am not sure if others have both.
lovetheedge
Captain

Next

Return to Idaho