Sponsor Directory

Corn Creek dreamer with questions

Corn Creek dreamer with questions

Postby bumjack » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 pm

8-10 years ago a couple of us camped, and hunted from corn creek with no boat. We spent much of our time drooling over boats, and dreaming of the day we could play with the big boys.

A couple weeks ago I started watching you tube videos of what you guys do down the river, WOW! Now I have to learn how to do some of that.

I'm in the market for a boat that I can take down from corn creek, with a couple of friend's, or the grand kids. I have lurked around here soaking up any knowledge I can get. Now I am ready to get a boat, and start practicing on some local water.

I could use some advice on the power plant, and boat size, for the river below Corn Creek in Oct-Nov. Any Advice from those of you that know that water that time of year would be greatly appreciated. Seems that there is very little video from that time of year, is it safe to assume the water is slower? Is less boat ok that time of year?

Following experienced conversation here has left the impression that a 212, and 3/16 or better bottom are almost mandatory, if I am missing something on that, please let me know before I spend my allowance.
bumjack
Deck Swab

Re: Corn Creek dreamer with questions

Postby broncobran68 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:18 am

I’ve yet to run it at that time of year, but I’ve run a fair amount during high water. 212s are certainly nice but we’ve done just fine with sportjets and Berkeleys too. 212 powered boats tend to be a lot more expensive, so that may be a consideration if you think you’ll be doing some damage while learning the river. I would agree with trying to find a 1/4” or thicker bottom, but those boats are harder to find and more money.

If you’re interested, I may be selling my 21’ Phantom Canyon Runner in a few weeks. 350/212, 1/4” thick 6’ wide bottom, stick steer, and Lexan. It does have a large dent in the side and the bottom is rough but serviceable, but it would make a good learner’s boat and will be priced accordingly.
broncobran68
First Mate

Postby bumjack » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the info. I am more than green, and hoping to get the right boat the first time.

Is the phantom you might be selling the same boat you have ran that stretch of river in?
How is it or similar powered boats on that water with 4 adults?

If my new boat does not have dents when I get it, I look forward to it getting the first one! Dents are not a factor.

My biggest questions now is a 21' 350 enough for an inexperienced guy to do what I am wanting to do, while I'm gaining the experience? Is a 23' 8.1 to much boat for some of the Oct/Nov flows?

There are not many videos of jets in that water at low flow, watching some kayak/rafting youtube it appears a lighter smaller boat would be an advantage over the 23' 8.1 that a friend thinks I should have. But what do I know.

Thanks again
What do you think you want for yours?
bumjack
Deck Swab

Postby broncobran68 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:33 pm

I had six people in it over Memorial Day. We ran everything from the middle fork down to buckskin bills. Plenty of power for everything except Black Creek where I was pretty much maxed out.

I’ll probably list it for $20k, but will be open to offers.
broncobran68
First Mate

Postby seanster » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:26 pm

I'm also going to be selling my 21 foot North River with an 8.1 motor and a Hamilton 212 pretty soon. Mine's going to be a bit more, at around 32k.
seanster
Beer Boy

Postby bumjack » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Bronco
Knowing you're 350/212 did it with six passengers with spring flows, is helpful information. I am pretty sure you would not get the same results with a green pilot.

Bronco/Seanster

Because I know absolutely nothing about this, I am still trying to get all the info I can before the actual boat shopping begins.
I am likely going to grab a cooler, a couple ribeyes and drive to corn creek for the put in of the cctc. I figure a can't help but learn something hanging out at boat launch.

I hope to run out of questions, and get serious about buying a boat, in the next two weeks, so that I can start getting some experience.

Either of boat, would be within my budget. What years are they, can you send pics?

Thanks
bumjack
Deck Swab

Postby broncobran68 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:21 am

Mine is a 2000. Tons of video on YouTube. Idaho Viking channel. I’ll work on some pics.
broncobran68
First Mate

Postby bumjack » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Have probably seen your boat a thousand times then, I just don’t know which one it is. I will go back for another look!!

Roughly how many boats do the cctc?
bumjack
Deck Swab

Postby viking » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:51 pm

It's the Phantom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhhbLb3HwrY

Roughly 3 boats do the CC2C, with 2 launching from top end, which this year may occur either at Corn Creek, or at Carmen-ish near Salmon-ish. So... it's not much of a boat show.
viking
Captain

Postby bumjack » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 pm

That looks like serious action, even for a guy with a lot of experience. The driving is as impressive, as what the boat does.

Cant justify driving down to harass two guys for a few minutes at the launch.
bumjack
Deck Swab

Return to Idaho