Sponsor Directory

IJBA Salmon Run

IJBA Salmon Run

Postby Upacreek » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:14 am

The IJBA is fast approaching our yearly salmon river run. This year we have moved the run to April 12th and 13th. In years past we have had high flows running the weekend after the Salmon River Jet Boat Races. The current river forecast (which is not very accurate) shows roughly 11-12K cfs. So the change appears to be a good move.
We will be gathering at Spring Bar around 9am with groups leaving in 15 minute intervals. Friday will be a pre-run type day for those who need some more time and experience on the river. Saturday will be the official run. Our destination will be Fivemile bar (Buckskin Bills). We should have lunch there and head back down river. One thing to remember is the evening sun is terrible on the water heading back to spring bar after 4pm. I recommend we get back each day by that time. We will have a potluck Saturday evening at 7pm, so bring your favorite dish. Just remember the rule to a potluck is bring food you like and enough of it to feed a person or two more than is in your group.
Spring bar is located roughly 12 miles up the main salon river from Hwy 95. The campground is well kept and has a daily use fee. Please fill out the appropriate paperwork and pay the related fees. Please give me a call if you have any questions. Matt Stoffel 208-401-8155
Upacreek
Forum Sponsor

Re: IJBA Salmon Run

Postby lovetheedge » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks for the post, I am very happy to see a well defined drivers meeting for everyone to meet up. This will especially help new people find a ride or a leader to show them the way. Plus helps drivers who are not completely confident to make the run alone or just to find a group to ride with. This will help build friendships and camaraderie within the club. Also help build confidence in many boat drivers so they will attend more runs. So even if you have not run the river before, not very often or long ago, come to the run. That's the way I got to meet club members and build relationships and learned a ton about jet boating. If you have never been before be sure to visit buckskin bills place.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Elkchaser99 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:25 am

Here's a quick link to help everyone see the river flows.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/uv/? ... 0060,00010

This is by far one of my favorite runs of the year! Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year and hope to see some new faces.
To all the new folks out there that are considering running the salmon, take it from me and try and ride with someone on Friday that can show you a little bit about the river. I joined the IJBA a few years ago and you won't find a better bunch of people willing to share their knowledge with you. As always be safe and have a great time.
Elkchaser99
Deck Swab

Postby Elkchaser99 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 am

You will also need to get your permits for each person in your boat for each day. USFS likes to see these printed and on your boat. Please correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.recreation.gov/permits/251576
Elkchaser99
Deck Swab

Postby Riverjohn » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 am

Elkchaser99 wrote:Here's a quick link to help everyone see the river flows.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/uv/? ... 0060,00010

This is by far one of my favorite runs of the year! Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year and hope to see some new faces.
To all the new folks out there that are considering running the salmon, take it from me and try and ride with someone on Friday that can show you a little bit about the river. I joined the IJBA a few years ago and you won't find a better bunch of people willing to share their knowledge with you. As always be safe and have a great time.

Or this one:
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogr ... gage=whbi1
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby 114 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 am

New to the jet boat/river life. Have boat being built now. Wanting to learn all I can about operating on the rivers. How hard is it to jump in with someone to start the learning process?
Deck Swab

Postby lovetheedge » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 pm

Easy at this run. Make your self known the night prior and to the trip leader. Same at the drivers meeting. Bring some cash to share in gas.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Muleys » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Elkchaser99 wrote:You will also need to get your permits for each person in your boat for each day. USFS likes to see these printed and on your boat. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe the permit season doesn't start until June.
2006 HCM 22' Rush, Raptor 575, 212 "Lip Ripper"
Muleys
Beer Boy

Postby Skirulefool » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Muleys wrote:
Elkchaser99 wrote:You will also need to get your permits for each person in your boat for each day. USFS likes to see these printed and on your boat. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe the permit season doesn't start until June.

There is a controlled season and a non-controlled season but no matter what you need a permit
Skirulefool
Beer Boy

Postby Muleys » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Yup! I was wrong. You need a permit.
2006 HCM 22' Rush, Raptor 575, 212 "Lip Ripper"
Muleys
Beer Boy

Postby Upacreek » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:50 am

A few times in past years the IJBA has been faced with high flows on the annual Salmon River Run. In the past there's been a high flow cut off which caused some confusion. We have made an 'official cancellation' yet many members went anyway at their own risk. The truth is that every run is at the risk of the owner of the boat and the IJBA assumes no responsibility for the results of any run. We recommend safe levels which can vary for each boat and driver.

This year we lost the stream flow gauge at White Bird on Saturday and this morning it came back online. The river peaked at 35k and is receding. I would expect clean water relative to the increase in flow earlier in the week and the forecast is predicting 25k-20k cfs by Friday/Saturday.

Now that we know the flow instead of guessing I feel it important to caution everyone who plans to attend. We have made this run at these flows in the past, but every boat and driver needs to decide if they are able to be safe and confident while on the river this year. I am not 'cancelling' the run because I know many folks are still going to be there. We will have a potluck on Saturday evening and, water willing, have a safe couple days boating. Please give me a call if you have any questions. Matt 208-401-8155

Salmon Run Chair

Matt Stoffel
Upacreek
Forum Sponsor

Postby Cage » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 pm

How was the run?
Little Steel Gray Jet,
21ft Northwest, "Osprey"
Cage
Buoy Boy

Postby Jaker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:26 pm

It was a blast! We had around 20 boats and a amazing group of people. Matt did an excellent job chairing the run and we capped it off with a fun potluck on Sat. night.

Good times, great people and incredible scenery... can't ask for anything more!

IMG_0565(2).JPG
Attachments
IMG_0566(2).JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
20' HCM 6.0L 212
Jaker
Forum Enthusiast

Postby wooldridge1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Great pictures.

Joe
wooldridge1