Sponsor Directory

12' winter refresh

Small size, big attitude!

12' winter refresh

Postby speny » Tue May 28, 2019 5:55 pm

So I completed my 12' build a couple years ago and ran it as was for 2 seasons, learned a lot about what i liked and didn't like the first time around. So I had some time starting in January so i made a list and got after it, the main points of the refresh were to redo the wiring and paint it.
Mini_Before.jpg
Before Picture

First thing i decided to tackle was the wiring harness, Since i had built the boat i learned a lot about marine wiring so this was nice to finally fix. I split the harness into two separate systems to make it easier to work on in the future, running up the starboard side of the boat is the harness for the engine and the gauges, on the port side of the boat is the accessories harness for the lights, stereo, bilge pump, ect. I got a fuse/ distribution panel off of amazon and then used Apex2.8 waterproof connectors for all the accessories and the connection to the main switch panel so i can take each piece out separately without cutting any wires. I wrapped the whole thing in split loom and made a couple custom tabs to hold it in place.
Wiring_harness.jpg
Completed wiring harness

Next was replacing the helm, I had a rack and pinion helm in originally but the cable was too short so the passenger had to straddle it so wanted to get a longer cable, I decided to switch to a SeaStar 270 degree jetboat helm with a 14' cable, was a pretty straight forward install the only trick was i had to make a setback for the mount since the distance was a little shorter than my old cable

Next was the big one, paint. I decided to do it myself but wow was this a lot of work. My dad has a fair bit of experience painting cars and boats so he was able to give me direction and spayed the paint for me. First step was smoothing out any warps or dents in the hull using a mini-fibre body filler, it's similar to bondo but doesn't break down in water but is much harder/slower to sand, this was by far the longest step in the process.
BodyFiller.jpg
Body filler done

Next was etch primer and highbuild primer, this was to make the paint stick to the aluminum and fill in any small knicks and scratches
primer.jpg
My dad spraying on another coat of primer

Sorry for the gap in progress here but i broke my phone so theres no pictures of the masking and first 2 colours. I ended going with 3 colours, grey, black, then red. Masking the side of the boat was straight forward but masking around the windshield was a test of patience. Durring the final coat of red we were spraying outside and a large gust of wind coated the wet paint in pine needles so i had to let the paint cure, sand and the red again. The second time around i got a large drum fan and setup a "paintbooth" in the garage using the fan and a piece of cardboard to get a cross draft.
Paint Done.jpg
Paint is done

Now that the paint is done the next step is reassembly and a couple more small mods i would like to do
speny
Deck Swab

Re: 12' winter refresh

Postby Wiskey Tango Foxtrot » Wed May 29, 2019 7:01 am

I wish I had a dad like yours ! :Drink:
I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".....What did they tell you ?
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Buoy Boy

Postby Crawdad Johnny » Thu May 30, 2019 7:10 am

Excellent job - - it's a beauty!
17 Ft Wooldridge Alaskan
150/105HP Mercury Optimax, Flow-Tec Quick Steering
Crawdad Johnny
Novice Baiter

Postby speny » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks!

Getting close to be back in one piece! dash is back together, most of the electrical is mounted and wired, stomp grate is in
dash.jpg

Last year up Pemberton way I had my filters plug with silt and the motor overheated, so this year I added a temperature gauge to the dash so that i can see the motor getting warm before it gets too hot and the idiot light on the stock dash tells me. I made a small inline temperature sensor and tapped into the water outlet, while i was at it i turned down a 5/8 stainless bolt and welder a barb on for a new thru hull fitting.
tempsensor.jpg
speny
Deck Swab

Postby speny » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:52 pm

It's ready for the water! Took a little longer than expected to get the new seats in since i had to build a new mount and space is limited , meanwhile i wanted to keep the weight down as much as possible. i estimate the new seats/mounting weighs about 75lbs less so that's a bonus

I used to have a fire extinguisher in the storage box located in the engine bay, but i was just a cheesy 1lb and was located right next to the engine where the fire would be so wanted to change that. I got a 2.5lb chemical fire extinguisher and located it in the storage box accessible without opening the engine hatch.
FireExtiguisher.jpg

I got the engine hatch, mufflers, and storage boxes installed, and cleaned up/zip tied all the wiring and hoses in the engine bay.
EngineBay.jpg

jeep_boat.jpg
Not the fastest tow vehicle, but "boat launch" is a pretty vague term with the tires and winch

firstRun.jpg
First day on the water for Rev2
speny
Deck Swab

Postby Crawdad Johnny » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:22 am

It looks GREAT. Well done!
17 Ft Wooldridge Alaskan
150/105HP Mercury Optimax, Flow-Tec Quick Steering
Crawdad Johnny
Novice Baiter

Postby speny » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 pm

Last part of the refresh, new trailer. being a 12' boat the trailer that the donor PWC came off was a little small, the boat also sat up high above the wheels so launching it required backing into the water quite deep. The new trailer will be a bit larger and let the boat sit between the wheels so it should be easier to launch in shallow rivers, and have a lower center of gravity so it should be nicer to tow.
My parents had an old trailer out back that the earth was trying to reclaim, it was a two place PWC trailer and a little large for my needs but i figured the parts were good so i took the springs, axle, mounts, and the winches off and scrapped the rest
20190421_105648.jpg
donor trailer

The new trailer is made out of 2X4X.188 Aluminum tubing, pretty basic design but should work well. I took 14" out of the axle then sleeved and welded it back together. I got a LED trailer light kit from Princess Auto while it was on sale so will be a solid upgrade over the old school bulbs. I also got a new receiver, spare tire, jack, and safety chains all from Princess Auto. I welded up some checker plate fenders and the new trailer was done!
IMG_20190705_154225.jpg

IMG_20190706_112810.jpg
Also added my registration numbers since my last post
speny
Deck Swab

Postby Wiskey Tango Foxtrot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:36 pm

Spencer I was up at the south end of mable to the dam, good run ! Lets get out soon before the water drops ?
I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".....What did they tell you ?
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Buoy Boy

Postby speny » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 pm

That's a fun run, come September it's starts to get interesting!

Definitely, typical summer stuff has been sucking up my time but let's make a plan here soon.
speny
Deck Swab

Postby Ridextreme » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 am

Speny send me a message through Instagram ridextreme13 have a few more boats that could make it out soon too
Ridextreme
Beer Boy

Return to Mini Boats