Sponsor Directory

replacment impeller recomendations

Small size, big attitude!

replacment impeller recomendations

Postby Norriv commander » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:47 am

Hi there!
I have put together a 10' jetstream boat with a 155hp 4tek and a 155mm pump,I would like to change out factory impeller to something a little tougher and maybe get more performance out of it!
Has anybody out there got any recommendations with real life testing.

Thanks
Norriv commander
Boat Enthusiast

Re: replacment impeller recomendations

Postby Ahusk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08 pm

I have been happy with the cheap stainless skat traks. I don't know what the deal is now but at one point skat trak would make thicker ones with a minimum order of like 5 or something. I have been happy with the thin ones however. If you trash one just throw in your spare. One of the best parts of the ski pumps is not getting raped for replacement impellers.

With that skidoo pump make sure you use quality grease and plenty of it inside the impellar splines. Refresh it often and use a new stock seadoo nose cone not the aftermarket aluminum ones. Despite what some would have you believe the driveshaft spline configuration is garbage and will wear out way before they should, costing you $1000 to replace, assuming you do the work. Keeping up on the greasing schedule should slow this process at least. Both cfs and I got 250 hours out of our stock shafts. A mechanic who works on them everyday told us that was about average.

We will see with a better maintenance schedule how long they will go.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby Norriv commander » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:24 pm

thanks for the info ahusk!
what grease are you guys using? and how often are you pulling apart and greasing?
thanks
Norriv commander
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Ahusk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:46 pm

I am using the seadoo synthetic marine grease just because I was in seadoo buying a new shaft and other related parts anyways. I am sure any synthetic marine grease would be fine. I pull mine probably every 20 to 30 hours bbecaise generally by then the leading edge has move enough pebbles that it could use a touch up anyways. I just pulled my two days ago at 32 hours and the grease looks good still. Just a little water mixed in but not bad at all.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby Norriv commander » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:34 pm

what exactly is wearing out?
is it just the splines on the driveshaft? or the female splines on motor and impeller end?
Norriv commander
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Ahusk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:49 am

The impeller end splines in the driveshaft are round. Mix that with a stainless impeller hub and it starts to grind the shaft splines down pretty quickly.
Ahusk
First Mate

Return to Mini Boats