Sponsor Directory

Harness

Small size, big attitude!

Harness

Postby Blkair » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:33 am

First let me say I'm new to the forum, I'm in Ontario Canada north of MN - I operate a 10' boat with a yamaha TR1

Little back story - last summer hit a rock at high speed, no damage to the boat but I didn't fare so well. I got launched and came down on the seat off centre - damaged the seat and a compression injury on my back. My fault, didn't check the weather and got caught in rain storms and poor vis so I missed seeing the rock.

Here is my solution and ironically I have never seen a non-competition jet boat of any size with harness. I have invested in a Shockwave base ( https://shockwaveseats.com/s5/?v=3e8d115eb4b3 ) along with a single shell seat and a 4 point harness (I have a single seat boat, centre mounted) With using the harness I am also adding a roll cage.

So finally to the question. ----- I use an auto inflating PFD and got thinking this might not be the best thing if the remote worst case situation arises, finding one upside down and taking on water. A manual inflation vest is what I'm thinking. There is an free divers safety vest but forking out more than a grand for a vest is an option I would like to by pass. Any thoughts or opinions out there??? Obviously one needs to control your buoyancy for an egress. I know unconscious is an issue but wearing a helmet should almost eliminate that.
Blkair
Deck Swab

Re: Harness

Postby speny » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 am

I've been debating putting a roll cage/4 points in my boat and I'm having the same thought.
I have kinda decided that if i flip the boat i rather be flung clear rather than fumbling for a belt. I do wear a helmet so I am still considering putting a roll bar behind the seat, similar to an old cobra or something along those lines.
As for coming out of the seat and landing funny, it's kinda a risk analysis thing, likelihood to happen vs how bad it is. so it depends how you rate getting pinned and how likely it is, vs hitting a rock
Haven't really offered any answers, just my 2cents on the matter.
speny
Deck Swab

Re: Harness

Postby viking » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:41 pm

viking
Captain

Return to Mini Boats