Sponsor Directory

Mini with a snowmobile engine

Small size, big attitude!

Mini with a snowmobile engine

Postby rockdodger » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 pm

As the title states I am wondering if it is a decent option to use a sled engine in a mini. Due to the poor winters we have been having here in the northeast there are tons of sleds for sale cheap. What I'm specifically wondering about is the newer 4 stroke sleds, say a Yamaha rx1 has a 1000cc 3 cyl. that is around 140 hp. If I was to go 2 stroke I'd just get a donor pwc but around here the 4s pwc's seem to hold their value. I'm just in the planning stages now but looking for input as I'm narrowing down what kit/plans I want.
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Re: Mini with a snowmobile engine

Postby NV Jet » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:06 pm

What revs do those Yamaha sled engines run at? I think even the PWC jet pumps don't like to run past 8000rpm
NV Jet
Beer Boy

Postby jetboatwanabe » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:33 pm

The RX1 and APEX both have a gear reduction from crank to output shaft witch slow's them to around 8.0 to 8.5 hundred RPM's. the NITRO's run slower and don't need the gear reduction I think. Also I reserve the right to be wrong, and sure some one will correct me. I was told if you are going to boost them go with nitro as controllers are more available to tune them. two cent's worth!! :bash: :Drink1:
:chicken:
I think a guy posted on here that did a nitro, do a search or maybe some with more skills than me will help you search.
Rock Hauler and new jet boat owner YE HA 10 foot MOTO-JET
sold MOTO-JET and starting new build CJC marine MINI 12 foot, getting wet soon but still paddling for now!
jetboatwanabe
Master Baiter

Postby rockdodger » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks Jetboatwannabe I searched and found the thread you were referring to. Lots of good info
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby AK Explore » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:11 am

What kind of pump do you want to hook up the sled engine too? Why would you not just find a donor PWC that has everything with it?
AK Explore
Buoy Boy

Postby rockdodger » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am

Not sure yet but it seems like a ski pump is the only type that works with the high rpm engines. I'm thinking more and more that getting a donor ski is the best way. I've pretty well made up my mind that I want a 14' boat so I will need a good amount of hp.
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby Wiskey Tango Foxtrot » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:58 am

I've run quite a few sleds with boosted Yamaha motors in them ,up to 350 HP with 12 lbs boost on pump gas and they are a great solid motor with loads of life in them. IF I build another boat I WILL probably go that rout as spending another 12K on a donor boat can be avoided with the knowledge I have now for building, and what you end up with ? Buddy here in Kelowna has a aluminium plate for mounting a Kawasaki pump to any hull ? Yamaha mill and Kawasaki pump would be stellar !
PS If you go with a boosted motor, try to find a MC Xpress turbo system as they seem to work the best on the Yamadogs .
I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".....What did they tell you ?
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Buoy Boy

Postby rockdodger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:03 am

WhiskeyTF thanks for your opinion that is kinda my thinking. I have to buy an intake anyway then just pick up a pump off ebay, don't really need a whole boat. So the Kawasaki pumps are preferred?

Another thing is closed cooling. I would like to do that rather than raw water. How are PWC to convert to closed cooling? A sled engine is already set up for it.
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby maximillion » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:48 am

Rock, I would go with a seadoo pump, parts are less expensive and just more of them out there. go check out ebay
maximillion
Deck Swab

Postby Wiskey Tango Foxtrot » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:20 pm

jetboatwanabe wrote:The RX1 and APEX both have a gear reduction from crank to output shaft witch slow's them to around 8.0 to 8.5 hundred RPM's.

sorry I can't agree with this , I have had 2 RX1s and 1 Apex and never have I seen any gear reduction on it ? Driven clutch is mounted right onto the end of the crank , the only gearing is in the chain case ?
I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".....What did they tell you ?
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Buoy Boy

Postby jetboatwanabe » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:
jetboatwanabe wrote:The RX1 and APEX both have a gear reduction from crank to output shaft witch slow's them to around 8.0 to 8.5 hundred RPM's.

sorry I can't agree with this , I have had 2 RX1s and 1 Apex and never have I seen any gear reduction on it ? Driven clutch is mounted right onto the end of the crank , the only gearing is in the chain case ?

well what dose that look like is the output at the crank or up and over because of gear reduction?? you tell me. :Drink1: :bash:
:chicken:
snow mobile clutches cant run as fast as those engines sir.
Attachments
PB250034-yamaha.jpg
PB250034-yamaha.jpg (93.8 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
00-1152_(640x630)_jpg_a84b16ff743921a9b08dda4127f464d3.jpg
$_35.jpg
$_35.jpg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (11.21 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
Rock Hauler and new jet boat owner YE HA 10 foot MOTO-JET
sold MOTO-JET and starting new build CJC marine MINI 12 foot, getting wet soon but still paddling for now!
jetboatwanabe
Master Baiter

Postby Wiskey Tango Foxtrot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:35 am

corrected
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Buoy Boy

Postby julio » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am

have thought the same thing about the sled engine. apex is fuel injected 150 to 165 hp depending on year. rx1 were carbed 150 and had trouble with negative gs but may not be a problem in a boat. The slow down would be cooled exhaust unless you forgo that, if you do a small turbo could get you up around 220 on pump without getting into the motor to lower compression. head shim and a water to air charge cooler would get 290 on pump. The mcx turbo mentioned uses a tunnel cooler and a intercooler to lower charge temps plus secondary injectors, converting the charge cooling system could be a pain. the nytro is a 1050 3 cyl. but spins at 9000 to make 135 prior to boost, you can still get 270 on pump with head shim and good cooling.
All that said think of the headache figuring it all out in the middle of building a boat plus impellers etc. easier to find a jetski
julio
Buoy Boy

Postby riverboater » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:01 pm

I think you will find the load of a pump being constant that the little engine will melt down prematurely.
riverboater
Captain

Postby Wiskey Tango Foxtrot » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:01 pm

riverboater wrote:I think you will find the load of a pump being constant that the little engine will melt down prematurely.

I think you underestimate the power and longevity of the R1 motor ? I see them in track cars, sleds, sand rail's and they get pounded all day long . A mildly boosted yamaha motor would be the tits if you ask me for a MINI . I have a supercharged Kawasaki ZX14(300 HP) motor in mine and the only way you could hold it wide open for more than 30 seconds , one would have to be on a BIG river or a LAKE , and mini's are not built for either ? My old turbo apex (350 HP) would be held at wide open for minutes at a time on some of the big climbs . My next boat will have without a doubt a turbo and not a blower and will have the MCXpress 350-400 HP just for shits and giggles .
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Buoy Boy

Return to Mini Boats