Sponsor Directory

Thought about this one...

Small size, big attitude!

Thought about this one...

Postby theduke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:20 pm

But I'm pretty sure its a Glass Hull....Bummer.

12'
Big Power & I'm a Ford Fanatic

Looks like fun but a touch pricey

Take a look

https://lewiston.craigslist.org/boa/d/1 ... 03224.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00G0G_k3E ... 00x450.jpg
theduke
Deck Swab

Re: Thought about this one...

Postby Ahusk » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:24 pm

It almost certainly an aluminum hull. Much cheaper than you can build a mini. I would buy it.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby theduke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Ahusk wrote:It almost certainly an aluminum hull. Much cheaper than you can build a mini. I would buy it.

You serious?

I was afraid to ask the seller cause if it is alum....I might have to sell a kidney.

Pics suck ..but your thoughts on hull shape as far as a river boat.

I ask because I don't know the good from medium from useless as far as the angles and profile of hull if that makes sense.

It looks bad ass....however is it a possible canidate for river use or just a lake toy?
theduke
Deck Swab

Postby Ahusk » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Can't really tell the hull shape from the pictures. If it really is modeled after a Sprint boat it will be a steep vee. Which means it will corner amazing. Running shallow will take some speed though. The most fun I ever had in a jet was a deep vee race boat in a shallow river. While I am not a 460 fan it would get you rolling.

I would call the owner, confirm that it is aluminum, have them send you a pic of the transom/bottom interchange, which will give you idea as to the steepness, and ask what thickness the bottom is. As long as it's 3/16 thick I would buy it.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby theduke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Ohh..S%!t

Its alum.
He thinks 1/4"
Berkly pump......Whats the downside to this??
I know theres many models and they don't seem popular for river running(as I've Read)
I could be way wrong here.

Got some transom pics...
Maybe I can text them to you as I have No clue how to post them from phone.

No name on Hull..maker unknown.

Does have jetovater.
He has run it on river .

Seems He bought it in worse state of shape/ replaced soft plugs/cleaned carbs...you guess the rest.
theduke
Deck Swab

Postby smitty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:54 pm

theduke wrote:.....
Berkly pump......Whats the downside to this??

Piss poor reverse. Probably less of an issue with a shorter / lighter boat (such as the sexy orange hot rod in question) than my 20'

However, it (Berkeley) must pair quite nicely with the 460 I presume ... there is a reason that elevedy billion boats had the 460 / Berkeley combo, 25 or so years back. Plastic / fiberglass lake boats and aluminum river boats. Just buy the damn thing already, you only live once, and my son and I have been drooling over the photos of that boat for a month.
Student driver. Stay clear.
smitty
First Mate

Postby jl8jeff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 am

You may want to see how low it sits in the water with that big block in it. That's a heavy motor for a small boat. The jet drive should be fine in a small boat like that. I had a 14' sprint with a 350 Chevy and an AT 309 drive and it was a lot of fun and handled fine. My current sprint is 13' with a Chevy 350 and a Hamilton 772 drive. I went with an engine with aluminum heads to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
jl8jeff
Beer Boy

Postby theduke » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Update;

No Title

Not surprizing given the hp per ft.

Says no title required in Idaho ..but can get one.

Ok

New choice
Not a Big Block or Berkly Pump
Not a Ford either...I'm no chevy fan but I am open minded.

Same price
Closer
Scott Pump
13'6"

"13'6 Shotgun Hull, Chevy 358 CID, 7.5 2 stage Scott Jet pump, Hedman hedders. 650 HP, 14:1 compression ratio, naturally aspirated. Trailer included."

Take a look..

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/ ... 80239.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00v0v_axy ... 00x450.jpg
I'm gonna guess theres No Title to race boats...

Whats the Thoughts on this Beast??
theduke
Deck Swab

Postby smitty » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:50 am

Two thoughts in my limited history of water sports

Item number one Note the position of the roll bar on each boat:

Orange boat - I assume somewhat less rollover protection, however ingress / egress would be much easier

Black boat - I assume more rollover protection, and difficult ingress / egress

Look at the photos, and imagine yourself climbing into and out of the seat (with relation to the roll bar position) of each one...

Item number two Note the compression ratios:

Orange boat - I'd bet the compression ratio would run on "pump" gas

Black boat - ask yourself - are you prepared to buy race fuel for every outing
Ok, I'll shut up now
Student driver. Stay clear.
smitty
First Mate

Postby Ahusk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 am

That Shotgun hull in the second one looks a lot like a fiberglass hull. I could be wrong but if it isn't they spent a lot of time making compound curves in the aluminum. If its aluminum its a way better deal than the first one.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby jl8jeff » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am

The second one won't be an easy river boat with the 14:1 compression motor. You don't need 650 hp, 300-400 should be plenty to have fun. Most of these boats don't have titles so getting one titled and registered may be an issue.

If you're seriously interested in one with paperwork, I'd consider selling my 13' Jetcraft. It has a ZZ3 350 Chevy (345 hp) with a Hamilton 772 jet drive. $8500 and runs strong, it has a slight water leak that I haven't found yet but it's not a big issue. It has some dents and the paint has scratches and chips but it's a fun boat. It doesn't have the headers on it now like the 1st picture, it has the EMI manifolds. The biggest issue, the boat is in NJ so it would need to be transported but that's not a big deal.
Attachments
jetcraft_clean4.jpg
jetcraft_emi1.jpg
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
jl8jeff
Beer Boy

Postby Bigairabe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Hey so I am the current owner of the orange boat, thought I would get a few things cleared up..
First of all this boat is in fantastic condition, buy with confidence.
It does have a 3/16 aluminum bottom which is in great shape, doesn't even look like its ever even touched a beach.
It rides reasonably high in the water even with all that engine, not that you are ever going slow enough to find out.
Foot pedal reverse works very well with great authority and maneuvers well.

No title only because Idaho does not require titles on boats built before year 2000.
I love this boat but I have literally 8 jet skis, a 24ft HCM and a malibu ski boat so my wife says something has to go....
This boat with an aluminum small block would be an absolute orgasm, just sayin..

Also price lowered to 13,500 and my phone is ringing like crazy.....
Bigairabe
Deck Swab

Postby rockchuckar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Ahusk wrote:That Shotgun hull in the second one looks a lot like a fiberglass hull. I could be wrong but if it isn't they spent a lot of time making compound curves in the aluminum. If its aluminum its a way better deal than the first one.

Shotgun boats have Fiberglass decks on an aluminum hull. They are a copy of a Hamilton family boat. I believe they were called a J35 but I may be completely wrong.
rockchuckar
Forum Sponsor

Postby Ahusk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:59 am

Bigairabe wrote:Hey so I am the current owner of the orange boat, thought I would get a few things cleared up..
First of all this boat is in fantastic condition, buy with confidence.
It does have a 3/16 aluminum bottom which is in great shape, doesn't even look like its ever even touched a beach.
It rides reasonably high in the water even with all that engine, not that you are ever going slow enough to find out.
Foot pedal reverse works very well with great authority and maneuvers well.

No title only because Idaho does not require titles on boats built before year 2000.
I love this boat but I have literally 8 jet skis, a 24ft HCM and a malibu ski boat so my wife says something has to go....
This boat with an aluminum small block would be an absolute orgasm, just sayin..

Also price lowered to 13,500 and my phone is ringing like crazy.....

Man if I had the spare cash I would be on my way. That thing looks like a blast.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby Eagle1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 am

Al,

Just ask the guys on chicken to set up a Go Fund Me Boat and ask for 50 bucks each. What do you have to lose.

Eagle1
Eagle1
Captain

Return to Mini Boats