Sponsor Directory

8.1 vortex over temp alarm

Moderators: customweld-1, CWboats

8.1 vortex over temp alarm

Postby 02customweld » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:53 am

Hey whats up crew? I have a 8.1 vortec, by marine power in my 02' custom weld. Earlier this winter on an outing it started spewing coolant from somewhere. I didn't want to damage other components, so I killed power and started back on the kicker motor. I ended up replacing the water pump all the gaskets that go with it and the thermostat housing, which in my opinion is junk. But anyway I took it out for a test run and it wasn't leaking coolant any longer, and still over temped within 5 minutes of running. I checked coolant level after it cooled off and it was almost a gallon low. And I was full before I started. I checked oil to see if I maybe blew a head gasket, ended up draining some coolant to see if there was oil in it as well. No, and no on both of those. So I guess my question is how much coolant should this 8.1 hold and what am I missing on troubleshooting this issue? Thanks in advance
02customweld
Deck Swab

Re: 8.1 vortex over temp alarm

Postby lovetheedge » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:11 am

Have you checked your oil to see if there is any coolant mixed in it? If there is you could have a blown gasket or cracked head. Check this first before proceeding with the below.
Not sure if you ran the engine when refilling the coolant, that that could be the issue. When you lost the coolant it could have left air pockets in the engine that don't show themselves until you run the engine a short period after initial refill of coolant. If you did not do that, it could be why the engine overheated so fast. Once you are sure you are not losing coolant, I would finish refilling the coolant. Take boat for a run and bring some more coolant into the boat to use to continue refilling the coolant. Run it for a while and get the temp up to running temp and let the motor run enough for the coolant to cycle all the way thru the engine, a few times. Keep an eye on the coolant level. You may need to refill the coolant a couple times to completely refill the coolant, depending upon how much coolant was lost and how empty the engine is.
lovetheedge
Captain

Re: 8.1 vortex over temp alarm

Postby 02customweld » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Put the boat back 8n the water and idled around adding coolant as it dropped. I ended up adding almost another gallon of coolant until it stayed full. It came up to about 160 and stayed right about 150 to 160. I would say the over temp problem is fixed. Thanks for the assistance
02customweld
Deck Swab

Return to Custom Weld