Sponsor Directory

2nd time the Steering cable has gone bad

Moderators: customweld-1, CWboats

2nd time the Steering cable has gone bad

Postby lostabigone » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi,
I have a 2002 Customweld Viper II about 6 years ago i replaced the steering cable and outboard nut and o-ring. I grease it a few times a year. It is now extremely hard to turn the steering wheel even when the cup is disconnected. Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? What is the best grease for this.

Thanks Jim
lostabigone
Deck Swab

Re: 2nd time the Steering cable has gone bad

Postby Riverjohn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:52 pm

What Pump do you have?
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby lostabigone » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:20 pm

its a AT 312. But its still super hard to turn the steering with the cable disconnected from the cup so all its turning is the cable. trying to figure out why the cable is going bad.
THANKSJIM
lostabigone
Deck Swab

Postby Riverjohn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:40 pm

lostabigone wrote:its a AT 312. But its still super hard to turn the steering with the cable disconnected from the cup so all its turning is the cable. trying to figure out why the cable is going bad.
THANKSJIM

Does the cable go outside the boat on a 312 like other white pumps?
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby lostabigone » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:15 pm

It comes out of the boat at the back to the cup. it looks like the other pumps that i have seen.
lostabigone
Deck Swab

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:22 am

lostabigone wrote:It comes out of the boat at the back to the cup. it looks like the other pumps that i have seen.

That is the problem right there. The cable goes out of the boat and into the water. Water eventually gets in the cable and causes it to fail. I have never had to replace a cable on any of my Hamilton style pumps because they got stiff. One pushing 40 yrs old. I don't know it you did a search on here but there is a set up for the white pumps that keeps the cable in the boat. :Drink:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby NoProplem » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:46 am

Riverjohn wrote:
lostabigone wrote:It comes out of the boat at the back to the cup. it looks like the other pumps that i have seen.

That is the problem right there. The cable goes out of the boat and into the water. Water eventually gets in the cable and causes it to fail. I have never had to replace a cable on any of my Hamilton style pumps because they got stiff. One pushing 40 yrs old. I don't know it you did a search on here but there is a set up for the white pumps that keeps the cable in the boat. :Drink:

I don't know John, mine is going on 25 years old, salt and fresh water and still steers like butter. Sometimes I wonder if cable routing isn't a bigger culprit. Mine for example has very large radii where it bends in the boat...
NoProplem
First Mate

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:53 am

This will get your Cables out of the water. SSS Engineering. Somebody else might make something similar. And as NoProplem said check your cable routing.
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby lostabigone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the cable. What I found was the end has a shaft within a shaft that had rusted solid so after working on it I freed it up using wd40. I then found the o-ring on the outboard nut that seals the shaft had a nick so water could get in. The shaft and the nut are not in the water all of the time but gets spray when running. I am replacing the o-ring and will now know to check this and for moisture in the tube. Thanks Jim
lostabigone
Deck Swab

Return to Custom Weld