Sponsor Directory

Evinriude ETEC

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Evinriude ETEC

Postby Riverrock12 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Anyone use an Evinrude ETEC motors? Positive, negative and anything in between? Thx.
Riverrock12
Deck Swab

Re: Evinriude ETEC

Postby steelheadfreak » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:04 pm

The only down side is they are loud being a 2 stroke, and a bit pricy. I went with a Merc 4S only due to price. If I had the coin, I prob would have went with the ETEC.
Crazy jam. Good weight, and only sips oil. DO IT!
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Postby Crawdad Johnny » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:45 am

I have never owned an E-Tec but I have several friends who have owned them for several years. They rave about them. Their comments are: low maintenance, light weight, great power to weight ratio, the engine winterizes/fogs itself on command, reliable, etc. I have yet to speak to an E-Tec user who doesn't love his/her engine. I bought a Mercury Optimax Pro XS simply because in my neck of the woods there are more dealers and service locations for them.
17 Ft Wooldridge Alaskan
150/105HP Mercury Optimax, Flow-Tec Quick Steering
Crawdad Johnny
Novice Baiter

Postby Toaster » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:28 am

I have a 90/60 etec. This is my second season running it. I have it on a 18 foot homebuilt fibreglass boat. It is a Glen-L design (Rogue Runner) that I did myself. I estimate the hull to be approximately 850 lbs. I get approximately 33 mph. She pushes me through the white water quite well. The motor runs great, no mechanical issues so far. Although I cracked the fuel pump after I came down hard on a rock. At least that is what the dealer told me that caused it. Fuel consumption is o.k. I'll run 50 miles on 9 gallons(imp). The only issue that plagued me for awhile is that it would jump into reverse at wot. This was remedied with some cable adjustments and because I use a tiller handle I had to tighten the gear selector handle some so it would not jar. Overall I am quite happy with the purchase. The warranty is great.
Toaster
Deck Swab

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:26 am

steelheadfreak wrote:The only down side is they are loud being a 2 stroke, and a bit pricy. I went with a Merc 4S only due to price. If I had the coin, I prob would have went with the ETEC.
Crazy jam. Good weight, and only sips oil. DO IT!

If your use to old two strokes like me, they are whisper quiet compared to what outboards use to be. But then again I'm running a 1994 70hp evinrude with a jet so really a hot 60/40, none the less it is pretty loud. I've been in some etec boats not new four stroke quiet, but much quieter than what I'm use to anyone is use to running old carb two stroke engines.
handyandy
Buoy Boy

Return to Outboard Jet