Sponsor Directory

Cold Weather Outboard

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Cold Weather Outboard

Postby Riverrock12 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am

Who makes the most reliable VERY COLD WEATHER (well below zero) outboards?

ETec? Yama 4 stroke? Merc Optimax?

What are your experiences?
Riverrock12
Deck Swab

Re: Cold Weather Outboard

Postby steelheadfreak » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:09 am

Not sure what kind of temps you are talking but......I spent 10 days on the Bulkley last year before freeze up. Left the boat in the water the whole time. Temps were well below freezing at night to the tune of -7c. As well, spent late March on the Skeena this spring and had the same conditions. I'm running a Merc 115/80 4 stroke. Zero issues. I touch the starter and she lit without issue and ran like a top. Its a 2017 model. My buddy had his 90/60 Etec on both trips as well. Also a 2017. Took about 2 seconds longer to light up on the start from cold. Obviously smoked up till warm being a 2-stroke. I really don't think the newer engines have much issues with colder temps. Although Ive not had any experience with extreme cold and my motors. By that time where I fish, water will be hard.
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Postby handyandy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:16 pm

I have an old evinrude 70hp triple 1994 to be exact I've run it in the river duck hunting plenty with no issues. Doesn't start as easy as a fuel injected engine, but I've had no issues to get it to start coldest morning this past year was single digits Fahrenheit on ohio river with some ice chunks floating down river and skim ice. If your looking at new engines they should all be much better than old carbed engines like mine.
handyandy
Beer Boy

Postby Hoss 350 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:24 am

They're all pretty good these days, I would buy one from any of the manufacturers.

The biggest thing for cold weather is the oil injection systems don't like cold weather much. On my old mercury 175, 1998 model year, the oil would get too viscous from the cold to properly transfer between the big reservoir and the little engine-mounted reservoir on the engine, so that little reservoir would run empty every 45 minutes to an hour or so and the chirps would go off and I would pull the cowl and pour oil in there.

It wasn't a big deal at all, chirps would go off with plenty of oil to spare, it was just making sure you understood what was going on because the big oil tank would still be full. So if you checked it, saw it was full, assumed all was well... you'd blow the motor...
Hoss 350
Captain

Postby MTRiverRunner » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:13 pm

I run my 2013 150 Optimax at -20 F all december and January. It runs fine. The water pressure alarm goes off frequently when I suck ice but it usually goes away within a second or two.
26 ft Duckworth Offshore Twin 225 Mercury V6 in build
24 ft HCM, LSA/212 Sold but missing it.
17 ft Wooldridge AK 150 Opti Pro XS
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Return to Outboard Jet