Sponsor Directory

Jet Liner/Intake interchange

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Jet Liner/Intake interchange

Postby Frozen6bt » Sun May 27, 2018 11:05 pm

I'm due for a new liner on my Jet. It currently has the bolt in style liner. Can I just swap it for the flanged style with my current intake or would I have to swap to a flange style intake as well?
'79 Modified Lowe-20'
'87 Yamaha Prov 150 jet
Frozen6bt
Deck Swab

Re: Jet Liner/Intake interchange

Postby MT sauger skiff » Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 am

Need new intake

1335 - studs, Lnuts, loctite
1333 - 7 3/8 intake w/ liner and bars
1960 MT Roughneck with 150 hp Johnson jet
1860 CJ Roughneck with 150 hp E-TEC jet
MT sauger skiff
First Mate

Postby Frozen6bt » Tue May 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks MT, That's kinda what I figured.......
'79 Modified Lowe-20'
'87 Yamaha Prov 150 jet
Frozen6bt
Deck Swab

Postby Frozen6bt » Tue May 29, 2018 8:49 pm

I got this from another forum today.....

You have to remove the 1" lip that sticks above the flange on the old foot. Took me about ten minutes with a 4" angle grinder. Also have to install studs into the existing threaded holes. The boat shop will sell you a kit with the studs, lock tight, and nuts.

It drops your foot about a quarter inch due to the flange on the new liner. Doesn't seem to affect my performance.

It's worth the conversion. The new sleeve can be installed before the foot so you can check clearance between the impeller and liner much easier.

Sounds like a good option....
'79 Modified Lowe-20'
'87 Yamaha Prov 150 jet
Frozen6bt
Deck Swab

Postby chyp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm wondering if you ever took off your flange from the foot with an angle grinder. I just got the liner I ordered but they sent the flanged liner instead of the non-flanged like I ordered, so I can send it back and get the correct one but I do like the idea of being able to check clearance without putting the entire foot on. Looking at it I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work but I thought I'd revive this for more input before I start cutting. Thanks!
chyp
Beer Boy

Postby handyandy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:39 pm

Angle grinder with a cutting wheel should work if your careful about it. The problem is aluminum melts and gums up the blade that's why I said be careful doing it, but it can be done. Where gloves and face shield in case the cut off wheel decides to chip and break. I've been meaning to do it to my bolt in style intake. Use a flapper disc for grinding down and finishing it out.
handyandy
Buoy Boy

Postby chyp » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 am

IMG_0999.JPG
After angle grinder and flapper wheel
IMG_0998.JPG
Before angle grinder....
Did exactly as Andy recommended and worked great. The extra lip on the new liner lowered the intake about 1/4" total but I don't think that will affect performance. Setting impellar clearance was a breeze. Faster and way more precise as you can actually get a gauge on it.
chyp
Beer Boy

Postby chyp » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:45 am

....Also, Wooldridge told me that I didn't need to worry about studs in the old holes for the unflanged liner and that makes sense since the new liner effectively plugs them up but I'll probably install some studs with loctite just so that it doesn't look like it's got missing parts. You can see one of those holes in the "before angle grinder" photo.
chyp
Beer Boy

Return to Outboard Jet