Sponsor Directory

How is everyone attaching their UHMW?

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

How is everyone attaching their UHMW?

Postby smllmth_bass » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:55 pm

I am looking at putting some UHMW on my hull to help with gravel bars and minor rock hits. How is everyone attaching theirs? Assume epoxy will be the most common answer, but epoxy should use and are their any tricks to it?

many thanks!
G3 1652 VBW with Mercury 60/40 Jet
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Re: How is everyone attaching their UHMW?

Postby BigCSS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Bolts through the hull is the most common way.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby smllmth_bass » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks! With running bolts through the hull how are you keeping them water tight? Silicone? A gasket in front of a washer?
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Postby BigCSS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:59 am

Tapping the holes and actually using deck screws like what the use for utility trailers, also rubber backed washers, as well as some silicone.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby rockdodger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:07 am

smllmth_bass are you thinking of putting uhmw on your G3? I'm not sure how drilling would work on that thin of a hull. The method BigCCS is referring to is the normal way to attach to thicker hulls, like 1/4" aluminum. Does the bottom have formed in ribs? I'm new at this but will be watching to see what the experts say
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby smllmth_bass » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Yeah that's the plan. I don't expect it rock-proof it just keep it from getting beat up too bad in the summer when the water is low. The idea I had in my head was using a good epoxy to bond it to the hull and welding some tabs at the front, back, and in different places along the length of it to help hold it in place as well take some pressure off the epoxy. I plan on doing about 9 feet of the bottom with uhmw, that takes it from back of the hull to right where it starts its upward bend to the bow. I do have formed skrates and my plan to address those is cover them in uhmw as well by building risers out of uhmw to bring to the same height as the skrate. Once I have done that I plan on using epoxy to bond everything together and using some stainless steel screws for additional strength. I feel confident this all should work, but wanted to run it by some folks with some more experience before I jumped in head first.
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Postby tnairn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:27 pm

Thunderjet uses a spray on product that is similar to uhmw, and it goes on probably 1/4" thick or so. It may be worth emailing them for that product info
tnairn
Master Baiter

Postby mtncntrykid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:32 pm

To attach with epoxy only is quite a process to get it to adhere properly. It can be done (SJX Boats do it) but to do it requires the hull to be in a chamber where all air can be extruded from between metal and plastic for solid bond. Any air pockets or emulsified glue will not adhere and it will fall off under vibration. I think it would be a waste of time, but screwing it on works and is the most widely used. Good luck on your venture. :Drink:

For the record - SJX boats are the same thickness of the hull as your boat.
Wooldridge Alaskan
115/80 Yamaha 4 stroke
mtncntrykid
Beer Boy

Postby Ahusk » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:04 am

Sjx are not actually gluing the uhmw to the hill. They use a special product where the uhmw is bonded to basically a sheet of felt using a really big press and some heat. The felt is then glued to the bottom by vacuum bagging. Really not the kind of thing you are going to do at home.

I think bigcss missed a step. You put rubber backed washers and nylocks on the inside of the hull. The threads are just for sealing purposes not strength.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby holdmybeer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:01 pm

You might consider a product called Coat-it. Not for attaching uhmw but for coating.
holdmybeer
Boat Enthusiast

Postby fishing66 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:37 am

UHMW is very expensive, gluing it requires felt-backed UHMW made by Link Tech and VERY expensive epoxy and you still have to deal with the ribs on the bottom of the boat. In short, this project has been looked at by tons of guys and it has not proven to be feasible. A .100 hull will not hold a screw like a .192 hull will. Your best bet is to find a place that sprays K5. A place in PA is doing it for guys that fish the Susquehanna River and feedback on K5 performance is excellent. Cost for a 16-18 foot boat will run about $3500.00. The more prep you do, the better the result will be....nothing crazy, but you have to drain your gas tank, remove the batteries, all of your gear etc. They will turn the boat upside down, sandblast the hull and then spray the K5. Lots of guys with G3 boats out east have had k5 put on and one guy said he will never own another boat without it.
fishing66
Deck Swab

Postby smllmth_bass » Wed May 16, 2018 7:05 am

Thanks for the replys everyone. I am going to be taking it up to Penssylvania this summer once the water gets hot and the fishing suck to get k5 put on. I spoke with the guy at Premium Protective Coatings and he was awesome to work with. Ill report back once its on and battle tested a little bit.
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Return to Outboard Jet