Sponsor Directory

Pump Guard

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Pump Guard

Postby steelheadfreak » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Anyone ever done a pump guard for their outboard jet? Meaning an extension guard from the hull similar to the inboard jetboats. Wont work for the tin boats but the heavy gauge outboard sleds. Thoughts???
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Re: Pump Guard

Postby holdmybeer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Sorry, I'm lost. Please slain pump guard.
holdmybeer
Boat Enthusiast

Postby steelheadfreak » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 pm

holdmybeer wrote:Sorry, I'm lost. Please slain pump guard.

Look at the back end of an inboard jetboat. pump is caged on most by the suports for the swim grid. Works as a pump guard or sorts.
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Postby holdmybeer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Gotcha. Good idea. Bet a guy could build and bolt on. Used to bump the pump a lot in the flooded willows and timber duck hunting.
holdmybeer
Boat Enthusiast

Postby mtncntrykid » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 am

If you have a tunnel hull essentially you have a built in pump guard and trying to attach something that extends past the back of the boat along the sides of the pump would cause issues with steering as the whole lower end of the outboard motor has to pivot side to side, right? Don't really understand how you could protect it any other way.
Wooldridge Alaskan
115/80 Yamaha 4 stroke
mtncntrykid
Beer Boy

Postby holdmybeer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

His idea has merit. I routinely run up and come down on the oars to scout and to hunt and fish. Pulling the oars on a big heavy sled away from the bank on a turn is not always 100% successful. I've stuffed the motor and jet into an outside bank more than once - an effective guard would be something I'd be interested in.
holdmybeer
Boat Enthusiast

Postby steelheadfreak » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:01 am

holdmybeer wrote:His idea has merit. I routinely run up and come down on the oars to scout and to hunt and fish. Pulling the oars on a big heavy sled away from the bank on a turn is not always 100% successful. I've stuffed the motor and jet into an outside bank more than once - an effective guard would be something I'd be interested in.

Bingo.....Most commercial skiffs have a guard of sort around the outboard as well. I do have a tunnel. Wooly AK XL. I'm thinking of a "pipe" type of guard. Say 8-10" on either side of the pump to give enough clearance for turning radius. Basically start right at the lowest point on the transom possible and coming up. Cant be lower that the lowest part of the pump shoe for obvious reasons but would help somewhat should you find yourself on a gravel bar or in some wood. Denting up my hull is one thing smashing my pump is another........
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Postby holdmybeer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Couldn't agree more. However the transom of my XL is pretty cluttered with kicker on port and swim step to starboard. Throw the sonar transducer in there between the pump and the step, and room runs right out. Walked down to the shop last night and swung the motor/pump lock to lock. I think the guard would almost have to be built boat/application specific. Protecting the kicker in both positions (haul and run) would be a challenge.

I'm a hobby welder, but this discussion has me thinking about taking an aluminum class.

And then there's weight - every time I add something cool my speed drops and my fuel burn rises. Hauled out a bull moose and spike camp a couple years ago, and I got up on step very well but didn't have a whole lot to spare.
holdmybeer
Boat Enthusiast

Postby smllmth_bass » Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 am

Beavertail flotation pods make a great pump guard while providing extra buoyancy at the rear of the boat. They offset the weight of my motor and allow me to float in extremely low water (4" or less) They will protect from side impacts and with my 60/40 they extend beyond my pump just a litte bit to protect from rear impacts unless you hit it dead on. They also will help the boat get on step quicker because the transom cant duck as far. I will never own another boat without them. It is really important to mount them properly so that you don't increase drag at the rear of the boat and suck the nose down. They make multiple sizes to fit different boats as well.

https://www.explorebeavertail.com/produ ... oats/Pods/
G3 1652 VBW with Mercury 60/40 Jet
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Postby steelheadfreak » Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 am

smllmth_bass wrote:Beavertail flotation pods make a great pump guard while providing extra buoyancy at the rear of the boat. They offset the weight of my motor and allow me to float in extremely low water (4" or less) They will protect from side impacts and with my 60/40 they extend beyond my pump just a litte bit to protect from rear impacts unless you hit it dead on. They also will help the boat get on step quicker because the transom cant duck as far. I will never own another boat without them. It is really important to mount them properly so that you don't increase drag at the rear of the boat and suck the nose down. They make multiple sizes to fit different boats as well.

https://www.explorebeavertail.com/produ ... oats/Pods/

No offence but "pods" are an afterthought by manufactuers to compensate for the added weight of new gen motors. Rather than redesign a boat, the pods were added. A well designed boat will not need them. Typically the jon boat market is where you see them as jon boat design has really not changed in 50+ years. Never see them on higher end heavy guage sleds. My Wooly 17' XL with a 378lb 115/80 sits perfectly level as the boat was designed well.

Dont get me wrong. Im not dissin the jon boats with pods per say. What Im saying is my boat does not need them for floatation or added lift. Im just brain-crunching a way to protect my pump more without adding to much bulk or cluttering the rear of the boat.
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Postby smllmth_bass » Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 am

No worries man. Different strokes for different folks. We all use our boats differently, those bigger boats some of you guys run wouldn't work for me. The would be great for fishing while anchored but would be a nightmare to bass fish out of.
G3 1652 VBW with Mercury 60/40 Jet
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Return to Outboard Jet