Sponsor Directory

New to me boat Repower opinions

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

New to me boat Repower opinions

Postby rockdodger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 am

I just picked up a new to me boat without a motor and am looking for opinions on size and setup. Boat is a 2001 Nova Ultra jon 1848 and is rated for a 40 hp tiller or 45 hp console. It's set up for a tiller motor and ahs a very low transom right now. I'm planning to build a console and modify the transom for a jet motor. Will a 60/40 be enough or will I be happier with more HP? Not sure on the weight of the hull but the total is 1100 lbs for passengers and motor. This will be my first jet so I appreciate any advice.
Erich
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Re: New to me boat Repower opinions

Postby jl8jeff » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:40 pm

How many people do you think you will have in the boat with you? I have a 1652 with a 60/45 jet and it's more than enough with myself and 1 other person. Once I get 2 or 3 additional people, I need to run near full throttle going upstream. I rarely even have 1 other person let alone 2 or 3 so my combo is perfect for me. If you plan on running with more people on a regular basis, you probably want to step up to a 90/65 jet. The real issue is probably the situation when you are far away from your ramp or dock and weather or darkness sets in. How long will it take to get back to safety? I can only run 3 miles upstream before I run into a dam so I'm never that far away from my dock if weather pops up.
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
1993 Jetcraft Sprint with ZZ3 350 and Hamilton 772
jl8jeff
Buoy Boy

Postby rockdodger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 am

Most of the time it will be myself and a 10 year old or myself and another adult plus gear. My home stretch of the Connecticut river is 46 miles between dams so there's a chance I could have a long run back to the boat ramp. Being only 48" wide I was leaning toward the 60/40 due to the weight of the larger motor but don't want to be underpowered.
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby MTRiverRunner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:41 am

Get the lightest 60/40 that you can. With the narrow beam on that boat, I would not add any more motor than that. Look at getting a 2 stroke for sure.
26 ft Duckworth Offshore Twin 225 Mercury V6 in build
24 ft HCM, LSA/212 Sold but missing it.
17 ft Wooldridge AK 150 Opti Pro XS
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Postby rockdodger » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks MTriverrunner that confirmed my thoughts. Two stroke is ok with me and I'll be looking for used due to budget. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next day or so.
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Postby steelheadfreak » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 am

Get a 60/40 ETEC............light, fast and no maint. Oil is expensive but it only uses a lot during break-in. Once the computer kicks it out of break-in mode, You will be lucky to go through a jug a year. Good on fuel as well. The only downside is they are loud.......
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Postby rockdodger » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:54 am

Here are a couple pics showing the layout and transom and slight vee bottom. Its a riveted hull but is in nice shape and doesn't looked like it was used much. I work at a metal fab shop and am learning to weld aluminum. Plans are pretty simple, deck from the nose back to first bench and build a side console on top of bench seat. I'd like to remove the center bench and add a floor and narrow gun box down one side. Also need to raise and brace up the transom for jet motor. Hope the pics load
Attachments
BOAT.JPG
BOAT1.JPG
rockdodger
Deck Swab

Return to Outboard Jet