Sponsor Directory

Stainless Impeller Benefits

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Stainless Impeller Benefits

Postby baldwinkw » Sat May 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Just purchased a 1987 Woolldridge Xtra Plus with a newer Yamaha 150/105 jet outboard with stock impeller. Is there performance improvements to be had with a stainless impeller? Wooldridge suggested if I was over 2500 ft elevation to get the four blade 7 3/8 V6. Looking for advice on the advantages of these impellers over stock. Thanks in advance.
I do not understand everything I know
baldwinkw
Deck Swab

Re: Stainless Impeller Benefits

Postby Crawdad Johnny » Sun May 19, 2019 8:57 am

From the web site of Outboard Jets, Inc. (the manufacturer of your jet pump):
"Stainless steel impellers work well on motors above 100 HP. They give less slippage on start up and therefore can pickup a heavier load. Top speed of, maybe, one to two mph or better. Below 100 HP, the main advantage is longer wear life."
17 Ft Wooldridge Alaskan
150/105HP Mercury Optimax, Flow-Tec Quick Steering
Crawdad Johnny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Toaster » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Will a stainless impeller affect your motors RPM?
Last edited by Toaster on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toaster
Deck Swab

Postby steelheadfreak » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:52 am

Get the stainless. Better grip and last way longer than stock aluminum.
steelheadfreak
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Susitna907 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:03 pm

We run A LOT of silty water up here and almost everybody runs stainless impellers in their outboards. The benefit with a SS over aluminum is they just last longer. Now the aluminum sleeve, not so much.. We pound the snot out of those things.
Running a 4-blade over a 3-blade when over 100hp is better torque out of the hole when heavy. When running lumber packages to cabins or loading up moose camp and meat, the 4 blade does better to get on step quicker. With an empty boat, minimal difference between the two in the holeshot.
The Outboard Jet website says the 4-blade is possibly faster then a 3-blade, I respectfully disagree. I think it's just opposite actually and we've done several independent tests that showed otherwise, especially in engines from 140-200hp. But the speed loss was minimal, like 1-3mph at WOT, so nobody really cared about that part.
We did lose rpm when switching to a 4-blade from a 3-blade, but it was very little. For example, we'd go from 5500 down to 5350 at WOT..
If speed isn't your game but longevity is, go 4-blade SS.
Susitna907
Beer Boy

Postby JettinAK » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:56 pm

On my last boat I tried several different impellers. I was running a 90hp evinrude, running light and playing in the shallow water I liked the stock 3 blade aluminum, when dipnetting with a buddy, gear, cooler full of fish I would swap out to the 4 blade SS. I also thought the 3 blade was faster, couldn't tell a difference in holeshot. I also tried a steeper pitched aluminum impeller from a 115hp motor. would only pull 5000 rpm but running light it was good for 3-4 mph.
17' Custom Weld Viper, 302 w/ Berkeley 12JG
16' Hewescraft River Runner w/ 90hp Evinrude Jet- SOLD
JettinAK
Deck Swab

Postby vern smiley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 pm

i have 2, a 4 blade stainless impellers a 7 3/8 C and a 7 3/8 D witch one should i run on my 115 hp 4 stroke honda i am looking for more hole shot when caring weight
My boat is a 17' 6'' wooldridge sport when i get more than three people in my boat it wont plane :cry:
smiley
vern smiley
Deck Swab

Postby Crawdad Johnny » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:12 pm

Vern, if it really won't get up on plane at all with the load you're trying to carry, a different impeller won't fix the problem. You won't see that much gain from an impeller swap. Is your engine a 115/80 jet? Are these 3 people large people? Are you carrying lots of extra gear (bow mount electric with battery or batteries, heavy anchor, dog, lots of other stuff)? What is the elevation where you boat? If that boat won't get up on plane at all, something else is wrong here. My previous boat was 16 ft 6 inches with a 115/80 jet and it would plane with 3 adult males and all our fishing gear along with an anchor, ropes, lunch, tools, a cooler, etc. It wasn't a hot rod with 3 guys, but it would certainly get up on step. It just wasn't as peppy as it was with only 2 guys. My current boat is a 17 ft 10 inch Wooldridge Alaskan and I have a 150/105 jet and it is a much better performer than my previous boat; yet I still wish it was more powerful. I am boating at about 4,000 feet of elevation. Best of luck to you.
17 Ft Wooldridge Alaskan
Crawdad Johnny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby vern smiley » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:08 pm

thanks Craw dad i am at 2800 elevation, my boat is a 17'3'' wooldridge sport 115 honda 4 stoke , i have had several guys tell me it should plane with 4 people. i have about a 80 pound river anchor, crab pot puller to pull it , 9.9 honda electric down riggers , down rigger weights, 50 pounds of fishing tackle, 2 deep cycle battery's, live well in the back probably should plug it when hauling weight . just heard from a guy today something really strange the difference between a 2006 115 honda 4 stoke and a 130 hp is the throttle body Honda put a limiter tab where the linage hooks up just conformed it all the part numbers are the same , noticed on the 115 hp the butterfly only opens half way 130 opens all the way , probably wont gain any more low end but i am thinking about changing it, the Honda shop told me they did that for some boat that had a limit of 115 hp? also noticed my boats wide open porpise's at the very top speed?

THANKS again Craw Dad Smiley
smiley
vern smiley
Deck Swab

Postby Crawdad Johnny » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:22 am

Good morning, Smiley. I have several observations:
1. Forgive me if you already know this, but an outboard motor rated at 115 hp when equipped with a propeller is rated at 80 hp when a jet pump is added. Outboard jets are great, but they are very inefficient compared to propellers. The rule of thumb is a 30% hp loss when running an outboard jet compared to a propeller.
2. To me, your boat is VERY heavily loaded. You are carrying gear that I would expect to see in a 20 foot or larger boat with a much larger engine. It's not at all surprising to me that you are struggling with more people on board. I will bet that your performance is mediocre with even two guys in the boat.
3. It is very common for a manufacturer to use the same basic engine (power head) to create engines with different HP ratings. For example, a manufacturer may sell outboards rated at 90hp, 100 hp, and 115 hp which are all basically the same engine but equipped and tuned differently to achieve different HP ratings. I know nothing about Hondas but it would not surprise me at all if your engine could be modified to achieve more power.
4. The major causes of porpoising are weight distribution and the trim of your outboard. If it's porpoising now, adding more power may make that situation even worse. To resolve this, you may have to move weight around in the boat (relocate trolling motor batteries, etc) to improve weight distribution. Adjusting the trim on your outboard can also help.
Long story short, I'm betting you have an outboard rated at 115 hp with a prop which means it's really producing 80 hp with a jet pump. Add all that gear (and you are carrying a LOT of gear) and I'm not surprised your performance is lacking. Even more so if you bring extra folks along. I fear you need a significant boost in power or your boat needs to go on a major diet to improve performance. The porpoising is all about weight distribution. Maybe others with more expertise than I will also chime in with their thoughts. Hope it all works out for you.
17 Ft Wooldridge Alaskan
Crawdad Johnny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby MT sauger skiff » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Remote now so short....

WOT RPM getting on plane and while on plane?

Can't say I think the throttle body issue/tab/half.open sounds correct. Don't get to work on a lot of Hondas but other than ecm mapping, reducing throttle bore diameter is the usual method used. Half throttle opening sounds like incorrect cable adj or bad remote box.

Boat is heavy as said earlier.... RPMs first step
1960 MT Roughneck with 150 hp Johnson jet
1860 CJ Roughneck with 150 hp E-TEC jet
MT sauger skiff
First Mate

Postby steelheadfreak » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:38 pm

Boat is heavy but not crazy. Im running a 17 XL with a 115/80 Merc and have zero issues getting up with four 200lb guys, a full tank and some gear. the extra bottom width of the XL helps to get on step however. With just myself, I cruise at 4200-4500. For every extra person, my RPM goes up 100. The Merc is light at only 378lbs though. Those Hondas are quite heavy are they not?......Id be looking at a pump issue first and foremost. Worn imp and or wear ring???
steelheadfreak
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Captainvette » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 am

Vern I think the way it’s rigged that boat is super under powered with that Honda 115

I have a 20’ 2018 Custom Weld Shallow Water which is basically Custom Welds version of an Alaskan XL and they were selling it with a Honda 115 on it. I think they put that motor on it to try to keep the cost from scaring people away. Took it for a test drive and it was pretty weak even with an empty boat

I had them take that Honda 115 off and throw a Evinrude 225 on in its place. The only bummer is a new 7 7/8 jet from Outboard Jets takes like 6 months to get and the only used pump I could find was a 7 3/8 pump which slipped / cavitated a lot with the power of the 225 until I put the stainless 4 blade 7 3/8 V6 impeller in it. Now it’s good.... You just can’t gun it during hole shot cause it’s still too much power for that pump but you don’t need to gun it cause 60% throttle gives me 4200-4500 rpms @ 3000 feet. Stop gap till the new jet gets here which should be any day now.

But even with the smaller jet I get up on plane with 7 fully geared adults, over 150 duck decoys, and 2 dogs
Captainvette
Deck Swab

Return to Outboard Jet