Sponsor Directory

Fixing Dents in bottom

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Fixing Dents in bottom

Postby mitch184 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm

12" wide delta pad, outboard jet, .160" 5086 material. In doing some off season work to the sled waiting for the motor, i've noticed that there are quite a few gouges and dents in the bottom of the hull.

One in particular is just in front of where the transom butts down into the bottom. Unfortunately it's the worst dent... probably 1/8"-3/16" deep... and in worst spot being right in front of the jet. To make matters worse, its right below a tube for the washdown so I can't get to it from above. Not sure there's anything I can do about that one but I'm open for options...

For the rest.. there are some gouges, dimpling and "bulges" on the bottom. Under/over the trailer bunk locations. I'm think I can get to them but what's the best way to keep them fixed.. after I fix them? As in if I fix the dent with a hammer from above, how do I make sure it doesn't pop out again?

basically looking for overall advice. Thanks
mitch184
Beer Boy

Re: Fixing Dents in bottom

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:15 pm

mitch184 wrote:12" wide delta pad, outboard jet, .160" 5086 material. In doing some off season work to the sled waiting for the motor, i've noticed that there are quite a few gouges and dents in the bottom of the hull.

One in particular is just in front of where the transom butts down into the bottom. Unfortunately it's the worst dent... probably 1/8"-3/16" deep... and in worst spot being right in front of the jet. To make matters worse, its right below a tube for the washdown so I can't get to it from above. Not sure there's anything I can do about that one but I'm open for options...

For the rest.. there are some gouges, dimpling and "bulges" on the bottom. Under/over the trailer bunk locations. I'm think I can get to them but what's the best way to keep them fixed.. after I fix them? As in if I fix the dent with a hammer from above, how do I make sure it doesn't pop out again?

basically looking for overall advice. Thanks

Don't Hit Anymore Rocks :Drink:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby mitch184 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Kinda figured I’d get at least one of those responses
mitch184
Beer Boy

Postby Ahusk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 am

Unless you think they are effecting performance don't fix them. Every time you move that aluminimum you are making it more brittle..
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby steelheadfreak » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 am

As said above, unless its affecting your water flow to the jet, don't worry about it. Pounding out the dents will only weaken the metal.
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Postby mitch184 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Unfortunately there are some dents directly in front of the jet. There's a gouge and there also a domed shape in front of that. Almost like it popped down. I'd like to push it back up but I'm afraid it will turn into a big depression. not sure which is worst.

It was pretty shocking when I put a 6' straight edge on the bottom of hull. That's where all this is coming from. overall the boat runs pretty good but there are some times I feel like it cavitates when it shouldn't.

It also acts like there's hook in the hull as the bow wants to bury the faster it goes. I used to straight edge to set the trim tabs/hull extensions flat.
mitch184
Beer Boy

Postby Milne19 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:27 pm

I just did the same thing with my boat but I had lots of 1in deep softball size dent throughout the bottom I used a large bar clamp to the top side of the boat and a bottle jack and a torch. I annealed the dents with the torch and press them out with a jack. Seem to work alright for me. After I got the bottom fairly straight I welded in five extra stringers and replaced of the lifting strakes too .
Milne19
Deck Swab

Postby mitch184 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am

Just figured I’d follow up.... managed to get almost all the dents out. I don’t feel like I overworked the aluminum but I guess I’ll find out.

Hot ticket was to put a 4x8 piece of wood on a floor jack to completely support the area of the dent. Then use a 3/16” piece of T0 aluminum on the inside to protect it. Then 5lb mini sledge and assortment of punches, solid steel bar stock, etc. hammer on the TO aluminum.
mitch184
Beer Boy

Return to Outboard Jet