Sponsor Directory

Break in/running mix

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Break in/running mix

Postby riverbent » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:59 am

Built a 115/80 Rude a couple years ago and had some great support and advice from the members here. Thanks again!
viewtopic.php?f=109&t=19036
I ended up only putting a few hours on the break in (25:1) at that time before fog and stowing for the winter. Never fired it up last year and spent our time on the ocean. Well did do a pile of work on the hull I guess. Anyway, finally did fire it up a couple weeks ago and it is approaching the 10 hr mark now. Other than a bit of smoke at first start when cold, it seems to be running like a champ so far! Pulls hard and steady with good temps during WOT bursts. The VRO was bypassed and am premixing in the main tank with Merc syn plus. Was planning to cut it back to 40:1 for a couple tanks. I also picked up a really clean Yam 6hp that will be pulling out of the same tank. It has a 100:1 tag on it. It only has 1 small tank thru it and looks like it came off the show room floor. Other than possible emissions can not understand why it would be that lean.
My question is what is the lowest mix ratio a person should be running for the long term with quality oils and what if any side effects it will have?
Really don't want to go through this again so am thinking of staying around 40:1. Is 50:1 better for it? We won't be putting a lot of hours on it most seasons.
Thanks in advance.
18' Valco- 115/80 Evinrude (in the works)
20' Alicraft- 5.7 with 773 Hami (sold)
245 Sea Ray- 5.7 Bravo 2
riverbent
Buoy Boy

Re: Break in/running mix

Postby steelheadfreak » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Newer 2 strokes run way leaner. If I was you, Id stick to what is recommended by the manufacturer as that is what the motor was designed for. Running rich in a motor designed to run lean will only foul the plugs and make smoke.
steelheadfreak
Buoy Boy

Postby jl8jeff » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm

I've been running my 1994 Mercury 60/45 jet with the Quicksilver synthetic premixed at 80:1 or 100:1 ratio for the past 3-4 years now. I don't run around at WOT and my oil injection pump leaked when I got the motor so I removed the guts and run premix instead. I ran my previous 1999 Johnson 40 hp with the same 80:1 or 100:1 synthetic mix for 5 or 6 years with no problems (also premix when the VRO pump went bad). With the synthetic 2 stroke oil, you can probably run it leaner but it really depends on your driving conditions. If you know you're going to run WOT for extended periods, I would keep the mix richer. I just run up river for 15-20 minutes and then float back down so I have no need for WOT. We also have a limit of how far we can run before we hit a wing dam that blocks further access.
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
1993 Jetcraft Sprint with ZZ3 350 and Hamilton 772
jl8jeff
Buoy Boy

Postby riverbent » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Thanks guys. The 115/80 is recommended at 50:1. The 6hp is 100:1 but will only be used if needed for back up on this boat. The boat is light for an 18' and might tip 1000 lbs as a total package. Trying to keep it as light as possible so wanting to pull both from the same tank. The main use for the 6 will be on a tender where it will have it's own tank which will be easier to run leaner. I am the second owner of both motors and the manuals didn't come with them. I did pick up a shop manual for the bigger one though. Appreciate your input.
245 Sea Ray- 5.7 Bravo 2
riverbent
Buoy Boy

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:33 am

On that 115/80 I'd run 50:1 no leaner, I'd venture to say the little yamaha would be fine on 50:1 as well, or you could run two tanks. Worse case is it fowls the plugs on the little kicker, you replace them, and end up running a second small tank for it. I can't bring myself to run leaner than 50:1, I'll take smoke, maybe new plugs more frequently over a rebuild.
handyandy
Beer Boy

Postby riverbent » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:48 pm

handyandy wrote:On that 115/80 I'd run 50:1 no leaner, I'd venture to say the little yamaha would be fine on 50:1 as well, or you could run two tanks. Worse case is it fowls the plugs on the little kicker, you replace them, and end up running a second small tank for it. I can't bring myself to run leaner than 50:1, I'll take smoke, maybe new plugs more frequently over a rebuild.

Thx. I was more leaning to run a bit richer. Maybe closer to 40:1 on the 115/80. Not too worried about plugs. They are relatively cheap and easy to monitor. More concerned with the possibility of deposit building up within the cylinders. Will only be running the premium syn brands. Boat cruises and handles great at 42-4400 with lots left in reserve for when needed. Am new to the 2 stroke world and this thing has little recirculation lines running all over the crankcase. Thought if one happened to get blocked or opened it could run that hole too lean. Maybe a bit richer isn't going to help much with that and just contribute to more problems?
Not too sure what caused the original failure on this engine but know lack of maintenance from po didn't help. Heat or maybe a VRO problem? Ate a ring in the top hole and there was also a fair bit of build up in them all.
The kicker will hopefully not have to be pulling from the main as it's purpose will be for back up on bigger water only.
Appreciate all the responses and will just run at the 50:1 going forward.
Thanks again!
245 Sea Ray- 5.7 Bravo 2
riverbent
Buoy Boy

Postby handyandy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:50 pm

I have an old 1994 rude triple I usually run 40:-50:1 on the v4 the circulation lines your talking about you can usually tell if they are plugged if the idle and take off gets rough, but carbs are clean. Usually I only see issues on those cause people don't know about them. Initially they think it runs like poop cause of the carbs rebuild carbs to have it run better but still not right at lower rpms. That's usually those circulation lines then.
handyandy
Beer Boy

Return to Outboard Jet