Sponsor Directory

Tunnel Design and Dimensions

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Tunnel Design and Dimensions

Postby smllmth_bass » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 am

Hey guys,

I am going to be building a new boat soon and wanted some input on how to best design the tunnel for optimal performance. The boat I am going to be building will 16ft long and 52 inches wide with a 3 degree dead rise. I will be running a 60/40 Mercury 2 stroke on this boat. The welder I plan on using hasn't built a tunnel before and boats aren't his main line of work but is extremely skilled so if give him dimensions and a plan he will have no problem doing it correctly. Any pictures or plans would be greatly appreciated.
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Re: Tunnel Design and Dimensions

Postby steelheadfreak » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:23 am

Take a look at a Wooldridge tunnel design and go from there. If the tunnel is not just right, it will run like crap.....
steelheadfreak
Beer Boy

Postby smllmth_bass » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 am

I have tried to track down dimensions for that and came up empty. Would you have a source? I am trying to improve on the performance compared to the design I have on my current boat as it cavitates some in choppy water. Other conditions it does great but I feel there is probably something better out there. My local jet builder built my current boat and that is why I want to go with someone else to build my new tunnel. If some one could measure a woolridge tunnel and provide all the angles and lengths I would be eternally grateful.
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Postby steelheadfreak » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:20 pm

smllmth_bass wrote:I have tried to track down dimensions for that and came up empty. Would you have a source? I am trying to improve on the performance compared to the design I have on my current boat as it cavitates some in choppy water. Other conditions it does great but I feel there is probably something better out there. My local jet builder built my current boat and that is why I want to go with someone else to build my new tunnel. If some one could measure a woolridge tunnel and provide all the angles and lengths I would be eternally grateful.

With a 3 degree deadrise, you will get some cav no matter what in chop. Id suggest a minimum of 6 degree or better yet a 9. You will run all the same water and get a little less air intake. Lots of info on this site for tunnels. Use the search and you should get everything you need.
steelheadfreak
Beer Boy

Postby jl8jeff » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:20 am

It's going to be hard to describe it but I'll try. I have a Lowe 1652 Roughneck jet tunnel. The front where the tunnel begins is 15" wide. As the tunnel goes back, it slowly gets taller until it's about 2" high at the back. The top of the tunnel tapers in as it goes back and it measures about 12.5" wide at the top back of the tunnel. The bottom of the tunnel is still 15" wide at the bottom back, so that makes the sides of the tunnel taper inward as it goes up. I don't have the overall length written down and the boat is still in the water for the season so I can't get the length until it's on the trailer. Here's a couple pictures I took of the tunnel before it went in the water for the season. I might be pulling the boat out in about a week or 2 depending on the weather so I can get full measurements then.
Attachments
Lowe_tunnel1.jpg
Lowe_tunnel2.jpg
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
jl8jeff
Beer Boy

Postby smllmth_bass » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:44 am

Awesome! Many thanks!
smllmth_bass
Deck Swab

Postby fishing66 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 am

Here is a precise schematic from Outboard Jets. I had a tunnel cut into my prior rig and the welder used .25 6061 aluminum. He also fabricated a new transom knee that was welded directly to the tunnel.
Attachments
tunnel.jpg
fishing66
Deck Swab

Postby fishbum » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Here are a couple Picts of tunnel I have used on several of my boats. Two keys for me. When the bottom is cut out for tunnel you leave a flap that you lift enlightenment to get the tunnel unit in place then instead of having a butt joint at the front that flap is bent down to make the lid
Of the tunnel. also as with Wooldridge the tunnel is made so the water dumps into the tunnel and has a flat spot to the intake instead of a ramp '
Attachments
IMG_3345.PNG
This is Wooldredge
IMG_1249.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG
fishbum
Buoy Boy

Return to Outboard Jet