Sponsor Directory

Help!! Trying to get tunnel hull to draft less.

Discuss everything to do with Outboard Jets.

Re: Help!! Trying to get tunnel hull to draft less.

Postby jl8jeff » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way my boat runs right now. I didn't do a lot to it but the biggest issue was the porpoising which I needed the transom wedges to help take care of. I moved more weight up front and the console forward and that made a big difference. I never get cavitation in calm water unless I have 2 or 3 people up front. When I'm by myself (which is 95% of the time) I run the motor fully trimmed down/in and it's just about perfect that way. I don't use a bait tank and I only have 1 battery (under the console) and 1 gas tank in the rear to balance it perfectly.

-
Attachments
Lowe_1652_3.jpg
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
jl8jeff
Beer Boy

Postby rotus623 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:51 am

Gotcha. So if you have another person on board where do you like to have them? Can they stand up with you by the console or does that cause cavitation?
rotus623
Beer Boy

Postby jl8jeff » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 am

One other person is fine anywhere in the boat, next to the console works best but even up front doesn't cause any problems. 2 people would need to be balanced better, 1 front and one middle or back.
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
jl8jeff
Beer Boy

Postby rotus623 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:53 am

She's coming along well!

I changed the rollers on the trailer over to bunks, because I didn't want them dimpling the hull. I convinced :-D the hull completely flat from the top side and the level says she's good to go. Hopefully these air pockets will be gone and help reduce cavitation even more.

Ended up replacing the soaked foam with closed cell boards, and put .063" aluminum sheets down on the floor. Used paintable silicone around the aluminum to help seal the top deck from the bottom. I then scuffed, etched, primed, and painted the floors with a rubberized, textured coating that should help seal the deck, as well as give some good grip when wet. The product is a bed liner called Herculiner. Seems as it is a great product when prepped properly. It is in the curing process now. It came out very well IMO and I think it looks great! Plus I HATE carpet on my fishing boats........

rotus623
Beer Boy

Postby rotus623 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:29 pm

So, got the boat all finished up. Took her to the lake with a buddy of mine and some buckets of water. Moved them around to simulate weight and where I want to put things. I have found that the battery and fuel tank in the rear, with two riders up front is PERFECT!! Feels great! Hops right up on plane. After beating the hull flat and removing the trailer rollers (thanks Steelhead) and changing the load distribution, this is a whole other boat!! I also removed the UHMW strips off of the strakes (as per MT Sauger) and that has helped me gain .5-1mph. She also likes to skate around turns more but I like it! Its fun.

As for the cavitation. It is GONE!! Im not saying I would take her in the ocean, but what I am saying is that on a pretty windy, choppy, wake thrown day on the lake, we didn't cavitate once! I can even trim the motor out to 90 degrees and still not cavitate. Working the trim will also change the attitude of the hull which is so exciting to me!! The boat is floating 6" of water with all my gear and 2 people on board. My guess is she will run about the same or a little less on a sandy bottom. Thank all of you guys SO MUCH for sticking with me on this one. Boat is touching 27mph with just me and 25 with another person. I can honestly say that at this point, I am happy with the tunnel and can't blame it for the cavitation and stern heavy attitude that the boat had prior to my new set up. Thanks again!!!!!

This is the old waterline. The new one is much better distributed!!

rotus623
Beer Boy

Postby handyandy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Sounds good I think your getting all you can get out of it at this point. My boat a short heavy boat as well 1554 no tunnel best I have got out of it with just me is a little over 30mph. Three people and some fishing stuff drops to 27 I have no tunnel so that helps on the speed but I'd say my hull is probably equally heavy. I'm sure the foam under the floor is soaked not sure when I will feel like tackling that probably never lol.
handyandy
Beer Boy

Postby rotus623 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Yea man I think I have milked her performance wise! I have fished her 4-5 times at this point and am thoroughly pleased. Smitten actually! Got my 12" Lowrance mounted on her, and finished 2nd in a tourney on the Upper James this past weekend. The boat is all that I had wanted it to be!
rotus623
Beer Boy

Postby fishing66 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:21 am

handyandy wrote: I'm sure the foam under the floor is soaked not sure when I will feel like tackling that probably never lol.

Wet foam is a performance-killer, not to mention a potential safety hazard as it is defeating the very purpose for which it was installed. The welder who did a lot of work on my rig said it felt heavier than he thought it should...no scientific methods applied, just his gut instinct after having worked on hundreds of boats over the years. I removed a few hatches and went digging into the foam with various tools. Yup, gross, waterlogged foam. I replaced it with strips of polyiso and gained about 2 mph top end. The project was about as much fun as dental work without Novocaine but was worth it.
fishing66
Deck Swab

Previous

Return to Outboard Jet