Sponsor Directory

impeller question

Moderator: Scottwaterjet

impeller question

Postby terzi » Thu May 29, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm wondering if there would be any difference in performance (like out of hole or in aerated water) between a set up with an 18std-19pro vs. a 19std-19std.
terzi
Boat Enthusiast

Re: impeller question

Postby ralphy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:02 am

If you wanted to drop rpm and get more water through the pump you could get a 22 and put in back of the 19 you have. Is it correct you have a 2 stage? After putting one in mine I would suggest getting your hands on a 19 bullet impeller for the #1 spot and go from there. Mine augers much more water into the pump and really gets on step quick and can hold the load at a lower rpm
ralphy
Buoy Boy

Postby terzi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:53 am

I have an 852 running 19 pro's front and back with an a wot rpm about 4450 with 111mm nozzle. Actually what I'm thinking of doing is increasing my wot to around 4800 but still keep it hooked up out of the hole. the 111 nozzle works good with the 19 pros but I i'd have to nozzle down to hook up a 19std front 19pro rear. The question is how small of a nozzle can I go where it would still allow enough volume to work with my boat. As far as my original question, I'm guessing that 2 19stds would flow the same as an 18std(or pro.) front with a 19pro. rear. So performance wise, which one would load the pump better (or faster)?
This is speculation, but dropping down to a 19std. front would increase my wot to 4700 with the 111 nozzle. Going to a 19std front and rear or 18 front-19pro rear would increase to 5000 wot so then nozzle back down to 4700-4800 (if the nozzle doesn't end up being too small).
terzi
Boat Enthusiast

Postby ralphy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:26 pm

So I would say what you are trying to do is over my experience level. I have not played with nozzle size yet. I was wondering what is the difference between std and pro. And is this a Scott thing. Thanks. And good luck with your experiment sounds like it will rip when you get it dialed in
ralphy
Buoy Boy

Postby Scottwaterjet » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi the grip level between the 19std and the 19 pro impellor are quite similar the 19 std will allow the engine to go through its rev range quicker and to achieve a higher WOT rpm while the 19 pro will shift more water early on in the rev range. The most common usable nozzle range for the 852 jet is 107mm -116mm with 111-114 being the most common. Engine, boat and driver characteristic's will ultimately determine what the size will end up at. Some things to consider, a jet works because of the reaction of the water exiting the nozzle this also influences boat grip and handling as the more weight of water the jet processes the more grip the boat will have, one way to think about this is if you want to achieve a 360 degree spin you chuck the boat into a turn under power and then suddenly lift off the throttle as the engine RPM drops the impellors slow down and flow through the intake drastically reduces this causes the boat to spin as the nose is hooked in and initiating the turn and all grip from the back of the boat is now gone. Increasing the weight of water through the jet generally increases throttle response and sharpens up the handling. Getting the ultimate set up is a combination of matching the driver, boat, engine and jet setup to where you want it.
Scottwaterjet
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby terzi » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Nice to have a better understanding of what's going on in there and the theory behind it.
terzi
Boat Enthusiast

Postby duanejackson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:05 am

Thanks for posting comments in this thread.
duanejackson
Deck Swab

Return to Scott Waterjet