Sponsor Directory

Scott WaterJet Distributor announced for CANADA

Moderator: Scottwaterjet

Scott WaterJet Distributor announced for CANADA

Postby Scottwaterjet » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:11 pm

Schlagel Marine & Motorsports LLC announced as Scott WaterJet’s sole Canadian Distributor

We are pleased to announce that Jeff Schlagel of Schlagel Marine & Motorsports LLC has been assigned as the sole Distributor of Scott WaterJet products in Canada. This is in addition to his status as the sole Distributor for the USA.

The change in Canada from FireFish Industries Inc to Schlagel Marine & Motorsports LLC as the Canadian Distributor is solely for the reason that Scott WaterJet does not want to have our Distributors directly competing with their customers in the same market place. In this respect, Schlagel Marine & Motorsport solely operates as a Distributor in the Jet Boating market place.

At this time we would like to acknowledge and thank Steve Beecroft of Firefish Industries Inc for his support during his time as our Canadian Distributor. Firefish Industries will remain as a Scott WaterJet dealer in Innisfail, Alberta, Canada.

Jeff Schlagel has been representing Scott WaterJet as our Distributor in the USA since 2006 and has a wealth of Jet Boat and Jet Boating experience\knowledge having been involved with Jet Boating since the early ’80s. Additionally, he is very knowledgeable about the Scott WaterJet product range and the correct application of our products.

Jeff can be contacted on 208-921-1214 or jefschlag@hotmail.com and is keen to help out with any information you may require.
Scottwaterjet
Forum Page Sponsor

Exchange Rate

Postby Scottwaterjet » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:53 pm

We have had a couple of concerns that product will now cost more in Canada with our Distributor based in USA.
This simply is not the case: Simplistically at rates from the internet>>
Let's say item X = NZD$1000.
With an exchange rate NZD to USD = 0.68 Then item X would cost USD$680.
With an exchange rate NZD to CDN = 0.90 Then item X would cost CDN$900.
So USA to CDN = 1.33. Therefore item X form the USA will cost CDN$904 = USD$680 x 1.33
There is a very slight difference due to exchange rate rounding on my part.
Scottwaterjet
Forum Page Sponsor

Re: Scott WaterJet Distributor announced for CANADA

Postby heemiv8 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:57 am

Your math looks fine and yes in theory it is correct but when you live in Canada you know this to not be true. All the taxes and brokerage fees added on to every shipment coming in here can double a purchase made in the USA. At the very least it will add 15%. I see why you moved the distributor but would have been nice to keep one in Canada too as i would say that is a fairly big market for you guys. :Drink:
heemiv8
Forum Sponsor

Postby Kilowatt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 am

Agreed. Having just bought a 852 I'm a little ticked I can't rely on the previous distributor to stock parts. If I were doing the boat build again I would go with a 212 because I know I can get parts anywhere in western Canada in a pinch. Having parts cross the border is never fun for us Canadians, been there, done that...
Kilowatt
Deck Swab

Postby viking » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am

Describe the brokerage process/difficulties going each way across the US/CA border?
viking
Captain

Postby Kilowatt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:18 am

viking wrote:Describe the brokerage process/difficulties going each way across the US/CA border?

That there is the problem, every courier seems to do it a little differently, and of course they charge their own "processing" fees. Some shipments you don't get hit at all, others you get a nice surprise bill when the parts land. Also, tracking shipments can be a problem once they cross the border depending on the courier. Sometimes your parts get hung up in customs, sometimes they don't. If you're in a pinch, this can be a real pain in the ass...

On the other hand, when we had a Canadian distributor I could walk in and buy parts or he would put them on the bus the same day. No surprises and reliable. That's worth something to me...
Kilowatt
Deck Swab

Postby viking » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Sounds like it's a hassle/uncertainty per shipment, regardless of size.
viking
Captain

Postby Kilowatt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am

Absolutely. Summer is short up here so loosing time waiting on parts is no fun. I know I could walk into the local shop and he'd have 212 parts, they even advised me against going with the Scott on my build because parts are harder to source (unless you have time to wait which as we all know usually isn't the case). I obviously didn't listen.

Then there is the floating exchange rate(s)... Although our dollar is on the rise right now...
Kilowatt
Deck Swab

Postby rockchuckar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Actually parts are very accessible as I am in the business of returning calls and shipping parts not busy building boats . I have been selling parts and accessories into Canada with great success for years. I am not new to the fact that you have a short season so I get parts coming ASAP just like I do to my Alaska customers . I always use the postal service to ship to you guys in Canada to avoid the extra cost of getting a broker involved like what happens when other shipping services are used . We are just trying to make it easier for EVERYONE in Canada to be able to enjoy our products. :Drink:
rockchuckar
Forum Sponsor

Postby Kilowatt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Shots fired! hahaha

I don't think I've ever called the previous shop and had the phone go to voicemail. But I can't speak for everyone.

I don't doubt that you have great service, I will most likely find out sooner than later. Unfortunately once those parts leave your shop it's a crap shoot when they will get up here. And Canada post is terrible to deal with if you are in any sort of hurry, typical government run operation. Weekend delivery? nope. Next Day? nope.

Anyways, I said my piece, I still think Scott dropped the ball pulling our distributor for (western) Canada and it would influence my pump decision if I were to build another boat.
Kilowatt
Deck Swab

To help Everyone Understand the new structure in Canada

Postby Scottwaterjet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

The structure in North America:
- Jeff at Schlagel Marine & Motorsports is the Distributor for Scott WaterJet in North America.
- Jeff will have a network of Dealers that will supply to there local markets

Steve at Firefish has become a Dealer for Scott WaterJet in Canada. In effect for the Canadian jet boater, there is no change as Firefish will still support and stock Scott WaterJet products & parts as he always has. (It is a fact that some jet boat builders would not purchase Scott products from Firefish (no matter how hard Steve tried!) as Firefish was a direct competitor.) He in fact still has direct factory supply and technical support.

In addition to this Jeff on behalf of Scott WaterJet is currently working on building a network of dealers in Canada to increase our presence and support of our products in Canada. This will be of benefit to all current and future Scott WaterJet product owners.

To underpin this structure of a Distributor (who doesn't compete directly with other jet boat builders) that has a network of many dealers closer to jet boat owners, spread across Canada, Jeff will provide direct support and supply of product in the meantime so that our level of support is better than it has ever been.

I hope this clarifies that FireFish is still a Scott WaterJet dealer supplying and supporting our product in Canada. And, additionally that we are working to provide an even higher level of access and support for Scott WaterJet products local to jet boaters in Canada and USA.
Scottwaterjet
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby rockchuckar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:15 am

Hey Kilowatt . Didn't mean for that to sound like a shot across the bow. I was just trying to relay where my business focus is . If I do my job properly all of our dealers in Canada should have parts on hand for their customers like you to purchase at any given time.
rockchuckar
Forum Sponsor

Postby Kilowatt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:13 am

Well I guess I'm along for the ride whether I like it or not. I've voiced my concerns but it has clearly fallen on deaf ears.

Best of luck to you both.
Kilowatt
Deck Swab

Return to Scott Waterjet