Sponsor Directory

Marine Power 6.2 liter engines vs the Raptor 6.2engines

Moderator: PPI

Marine Power 6.2 liter engines vs the Raptor 6.2engines

Postby markh2000 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:52 pm

Everyone is wondering and asking what we feel is the difference between the new on the market, Ford Raptor 6.2 liter engine(s), marinized by Indmar, compared to the GM 6.2 Liter engines, marinized by Marine Power (and others), that we distribute.
Here are some facts that I have been able to gather to compare the 6.2 Liter SC Indmar/Ford Raptor to the Marine Power/GM SC 6.2 Liter LSA....
Weight:
The most striking difference is weight, Indmar marinized SC Raptor weighs in at about 950# vs the Marine Power SC LSA weighing 725# A big difference in weight!
See the pictures below showing each engine weighed the same day on the same scale, hanging from a forklift here in Clarkston.
Power:
I am assuming the SC 575 Raptor puts out 575 HP? I am not sure, I saw 550 HP on one website... and a reported 580 ft/lbs of torque.
The Marine Power SC LSA is rated at 540HP and 540 ft/lbs of torque.
Availability:
(6) GM marinizing companies compete to bring you the best quality GM marine engines for your particular application. GM has been continuously providing gasoline powered engines designed for marine use for more than 40 years. Marine Power has been marinizing and supplying engines for more than 50 years.
One marinizer (Indmar) has the monopoly on Ford marine engine distribution and have been selling the Ford motors for less than a year. In fact Ford exited the marine industry more than 20 years ago.

The Ford/Indmar Raptor motors are showing favor with many of the 2015 model wake board fiberglass boats, which unlike our aluminum river running boats, actually like to add weight.

Without question, the GM 6.2 liter class of marine engines offer the best weight to power ratio than any other competitors. And they have 1000's of engines out there with years of service on them. Until recently, and for more than 20 years, every boat builder installing a gasoline inboard engine has been using a GM engine. There is lots of experienced service shops and mechanics out there that are used to working on the GM product. Parts are also readily available everywhere.

Take a look at the Marine power line of GM engines. More information available at Pacific Powertrain 509-243-7840 we can hook you up with a Marine Power dealer in your area that can sell, service and install the engine for you.
Attachments
Marine Power - GM 6.2 liter SC LSA - 725 lbs..JPG
Marine Power's GM 6.2 Liter SC LSA engine at 725 lbs.
Indmar - Ford   6.2 liter SC  575 engine - 940 lbs..JPG
Indmar's Ford Raptor 6.2 Liter SC "575" engine at 940lbs.
markh2000
Forum Page Sponsor

Re: Marine Power 6.2 liter engines vs the Raptor 6.2engines

Postby river wolf » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:23 am

Red line marine did not exit the industry "more than 20 years ago". Sounds like mp is a little scared of the raptor!
river wolf
Beer Boy

Postby waylon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:08 am

I have had two customwelds, one with a marine power 4.3, marine power sent it out with the wrong flywheel adapter, major headache is an understatement, trying to figure out where the rattle and vibration came from, marine power was of NO help in solving this problem.Brice paid my mileage to take it 150 miles to maxxum where they figured it out immediately. was told there that I was lucky the adapter did not come loose at hi rpm. second boat has a Kodiak 350 has had some minor issues mainly hi and lo pressure fuel pumps, and a faulty heat exchanger, that Kodiak replaced no charge 5 years out of warranty!! I think the raptor is good for the industry and it is a great thing to have something else to choose from. :Drink:
"Only God knows why" Image
waylon
Master Baiter

Postby markh2000 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:22 pm

Waylon,
We are aware that there have been some warrantee issues in the past with the Marine Power products. I am sure that will be a rarer occurrence in the future, and we will be putting our name behind the product and taking care of warrantee work right here out of our facility, or in the case of a long distance issue, will arrange to have a problem fixed in the owners home town if possible. Just like Brice did for you. I do not know how long ago your issue was, or the details of who or why the local MP rep. did not stand behind it, but we are not going to be turning away any problems that are a valid warrantee claim.

I have owned several boats in my life with other manufacturers engines, including the Redline motors marinized right here in Lewiston, and they were good motors. But I recall having minor issues with them as well, especially during the first 50 hours. Whether its Kodiak, Indmar, Ilmor, PCM, Mercury or Marine Power, I think all the Marine engine marinizers and distributers get a some warranty issues to deal with.

We have a engine technician hired here, to rig, test run, service and perform warrantee work if required. And he can travel a ways to reach out to our customers throughout the northwest, as proves practical. We will take good care of all our OEM builders and all customers we deal with. We will also take care of anyone with a valid warrantee issue that bought a engine before we took on the Marine Power Line of engines.

The Marine Power manufacturing crew is committed to servicing there line of engines, and working to minimize the possibility of problems in the future.
markh2000
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby markh2000 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:47 pm

River wolf,
You are correct, Redline was able to continue for a some time after Ford quit building their marine engines (21 years ago), selling off there inventory and continuing to sell parts for a while. I used to stop in here at our local Lewiston Napa store where Chris worked in the back room, and bought parts to keep my redlines running thru the 90's

Marine Power and the other 5 marinizers who market & distribute the GM line of engines will lose a little market share to the Ford Raptor engine I am sure. I have a fleet of Ford pickups we run in my construction business and continue to buy them, along with a few Chevys, Dodges and Toyota's...And I agree with you, the competition is good for the industry! It keeps us all working to better our products...
markh2000
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby waylon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:24 pm

damn mark I hope you didn't take my post as a dig toward your business. this industry needs more pro shops like yourself. The marine power issue I had was almost ten years ago. my buddy has had the boat for the last 8 years with zero engine issues! I feel that boat builders trip over themselves to expand into new territories without any product backing. This ends up leaving the end user trying to find solutions on there own. there is only a handful of shops in the northwest that I would trust to take my boat to. and none in my area period. So that leaves me having to travel 200 miles to get anything done at my time and expense.
"Only God knows why" Image
waylon
Master Baiter

Postby river wolf » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Likewise my post was just some good humored ribbing when were the last redline motors built 2001? I know the last ones were efi
river wolf
Beer Boy

Postby markh2000 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Waylon,
No offense was taken! I am sure from time to time some issue will come up with a motor, gosh I have things happen with brand new pickups we buy that require warrentee work quite often. The more complex these motors get, the more chance for something to fail. And I know what its like to not get taken care of when you have a warrantee issue, we intend to not let anyone get that bad taste in there mouth...if we can help it.

I think its great that we have this forum to talk about all the neat new stuff coming available to our welded aluminum boat industry!

Have a great new year!
markh2000
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby markh2000 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:42 pm

River Wolf,
Thanks for the note. I had a twin engine Hudson boat that was built the first of 1996 that had carburated 351's in it and then a twin Bentz built in 97 with the EFI 351's so they were still able to put a motor out in 1997 Doug here in my office worked for Buzz, the owner, and said he thinks they finally were down to just selling parts by 98 The 351 was a real good engine.
I went up the river this last October to meet the twin that the first Indmar Raptor 575's were put in, and they did sound and run good. Opinion on how that installation is going and the pro's and cons to the Ford/LSA differences...Currently I have a pair of supercharged 6 liters in my 29' HCM and a pair of 460 Fords in my 40' cargo boat, so I am fairly impartial....

Have a great new year!
markh2000
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby Calredneck » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:38 pm

markh2000 wrote:Power:
I am assuming the SC 575 Raptor puts out 575 HP? I am not sure, I saw 550 HP on one website... and a reported 580 ft/lbs of torque.
The Marine Power SC LSA is rated at 540HP and 540 ft/lbs of torque.

What HP and torque at 4500 RPM for both Engine there could be a bigger difference at the lower RPM
Calredneck
Forum Enthusiast

Postby markh2000 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Calredneck,
Attached below is the power curves that GM advertises for the 6.2 Liter LSA motor. These numbers will vary depending on the marinizers calibration, accessory components and tune. I wil post a Marine power Dyno report as soon as I get one. Click on it to make it big enough to see...
Attachments
GM 6.2 LSA_Page_3.jpg
GM dyno curves
markh2000
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby Calredneck » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Thank you Mark
Calredneck
Forum Enthusiast

Return to Pacific Powertrain