Sponsor Directory

2005 Marine Power 6.0 Liter Engine - Really Low Oil Pressure

Moderator: PPI

2005 Marine Power 6.0 Liter Engine - Really Low Oil Pressure

Postby Hoss 350 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:29 pm

I've been chasing this issue for a while now, and have gotten zero help from Marine Power. They won't even return my calls. I was hoping maybe you could help me.

I've got low oil pressure. Starts out okay - 35 to 40 psi - but as it warms up, it drops down to 18 to 27 psi at operating RPMs, and down to 6 to 8 psi at idle. That indicates bad bearings, to me. BUT...

No knocking. No adverse performance. It's been doing this for a while (45 hours ish?), and the numbers that I'm providing are based on readings from a mechanical gauge mounted in the engine compartment, taken off the extra bung in the remote oil filter manifold.

Chevy released a TSB on some 2005 6 liters that run low oil pressure for no discernable reason, and they say as long as you're over 6 psi at idle, you're fine. There is no way to know if my engine falls within the batch numbers that they say this has happened to.

I've also heard that the LS engines are bad about spinning cam bearings, with no discernable problems until they throw a cam out the front of the engine (or whatever.)

I would like Marine Power to chime in on whether they think I've got a problem, or if they sold engines that fall within that TSB that GM issued, and it is fine. But Marine Power has been less than helpful. I thought maybe you might be able to help?
Hoss 350
Captain

Re: 2005 Marine Power 6.0 Liter Engine - Really Low Oil Pres

Postby Snake River » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Hoss 350, I am sorry that I did not get back to you sooner but we just got back to the office from Christmas. We do not want anyone's questions to go unanswered and I will do what I can to get you an answer.

Could you please tell me what oil you are currently running in your engine?

What is the temperature of your engine when you experience the drop in oil pressure? It would help if I could also get an oil temperature when the pressure drops.

Have you been running the boat hard when you get the loss of pressure, or just normal cruising?

You are correct it would be very difficult to determine if your engine would fall under the TSB or not.

You can call me at 509-243-7840 so that we can discuss this further, I really want to solve this issue for you and will do everything that I can to get you an answer.
Snake River
Beer Boy

Postby Hoss 350 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Snake River wrote:Hoss 350, I am sorry that I did not get back to you sooner but we just got back to the office from Christmas. We do not want anyone's questions to go unanswered and I will do what I can to get you an answer.

Same excuse here. Been looking for work and didn't see that you'd responded. Sorry.

I use Valvoline straight 40 wt as recommended by marine power. (not the valvoline part, just the 40 wt part).

It starts out cold at 40 psi at idle and 55 ish at operating RPM. No matter how easy or how hard I run it, it drops down to 20 to 25 ish at operating RPM and 6 to 8 psi at idle. It takes as long as the thing takes to warm up (5 to 10 minutes) for it to drop down. starts dropping at about 150 degrees, and completes the final drop within a few minutes of hitting the operating temp of about 180.

I do not have the oil temp. No gauge for that. I installed a mech pressure gauge but not an oil gauge.

It doesn't knock, tick, get hot, run poorly, no loss of power... it runs just fine in every way, just has very little to no oil pressure. i swapped out the oil pump just to make sure - no help.
Hoss 350
Captain

Postby Snake River » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:15 pm

O.K. I just wanted to let you know that I am still working on this. The chief engineer for Marine Power is currently out of the country, and as soon as he gets back we will be discussing your issue.
Snake River
Beer Boy

Postby Snake River » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Hoss can you tell me what brand of oil you are using?
Snake River
Beer Boy

Postby Hoss 350 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Snake River wrote:Hoss can you tell me what brand of oil you are using?

Valvoline straight 40 wt.
Hoss 350
Captain

Postby Hoss 350 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Forgot to add: the issue started at about 80 hours. It has 111 hours on it now.
Hoss 350
Captain

Postby Snake River » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 am

Hoss I have been in contact with the chief engineer at Marine Power and he would like to talk with you. Would you please PM me your phone number, or call Eddie at 985-386-2081. I would be happy to be the go between but I think that after talking with Eddie and giving him the information in this thread it will be easier if the two of you talk direct.
Snake River
Beer Boy

Postby Chuck123 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 am

I'll ask info on this 2005 Marine Power 6.0 Liter Engine low oil pressure problem from Marine Engines Texas, in my opinion until you attach a known good mechanical test gauge to the engine, you really have no idea what the pressure is. What by-pass are you mentioning?
The GM oil filter base adapter does have a by-pass arrangement, but this is only operational during filter media saturation.
It will have no bearing on what oil pressure the oil galleys see!
Oil pressure is controlled by the oil pump's pressure relief valve!
Excessive clearances may cause an issue, but you'd likely see other issues as well, if that was the case!

Since you have twins, try swapping pressure senders and/or gauges.
Chuck123
Deck Swab

Postby Hoss 350 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Chuck123 wrote:I'll ask info on this 2005 Marine Power 6.0 Liter Engine low oil pressure problem from Marine Engines Texas, in my opinion until you attach a known good mechanical test gauge to the engine, you really have no idea what the pressure is. What by-pass are you mentioning?

I do have a mechanical gauge. It's plumbed into the remote oil filter line. No by-pass. There is a line coming out of the block and back into the block that feeds the remote oil filter. The mechanical gauge is on that line.

The GM oil filter base adapter does have a by-pass arrangement, but this is only operational during filter media saturation.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. Just used the wrong wording. There is no "by-pass." Just the remote oil filter line, which should have the same pressure in it as all the other parts of the engine.

Since you have twins, try swapping pressure senders and/or gauges.

I don't have twins. Just a single.

I've swapped the sending unit for oil pressure, added the mechanical gauge, and replaced the oil pump to a high flow unit, None of those things helped.

Like I said, the engine runs like a champ. No problems at all except that low oil pressure. I'm going to call the guy listed above as soon as I get through with jury duty this week. Been sequestered in a room with no cell phone, and get out after business hours, and I hate calling him after business hours.

Thanks for your help.
Hoss 350
Captain

Postby Chuck123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:17 am

Yeah you should call the guy mentioned above, Your welcome Hoss.
Chuck123
Deck Swab

Postby Calredneck » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:53 pm

I think you have bearing problems my 2 cents and 5 30 the only oil to run
Calredneck
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Hoss 350 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Snake River wrote:Hoss I have been in contact with the chief engineer at Marine Power and he would like to talk with you. Would you please PM me your phone number, or call Eddie at 985-386-2081. I would be happy to be the go between but I think that after talking with Eddie and giving him the information in this thread it will be easier if the two of you talk direct.

Can you check that phone number for Eddie? I'm not getting any return calls. I sent you a PM.
Hoss 350
Captain

Postby Hoss 350 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:37 am

I spoke with Eddie. Big thanks to Eddie for calling me and going over this with me.

We trouble-shot a bunch of things, but the end result was that everything checked out OK. The theory is that I got one of the mid-2000's 6 liter engines that had high bearing clearances and subsequently low oil pressure. It took the break in period to make it evident.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the engine. Oil analysis is coming back clean, so we're thinking it is just a high clearance engine, and as a result, Eddie recommended upping the weight of the oil I was using. He said 15w-40, but I've talked to a few other engine guys who build hihg clearance engines for racing, and they all said that 20W-50 synthetic is going to be the cat's ass for my engine.

So I'm going to put 20w-50 in it and see what happens. Honestly, it seems to run fine, with nothing evidently wrong with it besides low oil pressure, so my biggest issue with it now is that at idle, the "check engine" light comes on. I've had several passengers express concern about that, and I'd as soon get the idle pressure up enough that the check engine light doesn't come on anymore. Hoping 20w-50 gets me there.

The way I see it, if the bearings are high enough clearance that they're going to die an early death, the fix once they go out is exactly the same as the fix would be now - pull the engine and put in new bearings. (with a bit of added risk that it eats my crank or something like that).

So I'm going to risk it. 20w-50 and run it until it become evident that something is actually amiss, then fix whatever comes up.

If I take out my crank, its a good excuse to put a 408 kit in it... :Noteeth:
Hoss 350
Captain

Postby Calredneck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:17 am

I would talk to all those guys about your piston Clarence with the heaver oil I changed my oil to 20W-40 Sin as the Kodiak engine operators manual when out side temp is consistently above +20F lost a 2 pistons 2 rods block and pan I think it was the oil but who knows.All so do some research at LS1tech
http://ls1tech.com/forums/ It mite help May be 15W-40 first I am no expert.
Calredneck
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Hillbilly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:20 pm

I've been following this thread closely, hoping for some info. I have 2 Kodak 6.0L in my boat (2003) and just one of them shows low oil pressure. Every start up, the low oil light and gage shows no pressure. After warm up light goes away and gage just moves up just enough that it's not resting on the 0. Worried me, so checked This and that, replaced oil sending unit "twice". But after 5 years and 3000 hours I'm just running it like there nothing wrong.
Hillbilly
Buoy Boy

Postby punchs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:02 am

If you got 3k hours out of it then there was nothing wrong. That's a great report on the longevity and reliability of a 6.0.
punchs
Master Baiter

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:20 pm

punchs wrote:If you got 3k hours out of it then there was nothing wrong. That's a great report on the longevity and reliability of a 6.0.

That comes out to 1.64 hrs/day, 11.58hrs./week, run time over 5 years (assuming one leap year)! That's a job I think I'd like... :chicken:
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
Master Baiter

Postby Hillbilly » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:23 pm

I know, I'm spoiled.........put 152hrs on her from feb 1 to March 15
Hillbilly
Buoy Boy

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Well, work hard play hard, I guess... :Noteeth: I'm in the wrong business! :chicken:
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
Master Baiter

Next

Return to Pacific Powertrain